Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Volvo V40 Cross Country SE Nav D3 (2014)
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All

So we’ve got a D3 1984cc (the 5-cyl, I believe as it’s 2014?). I’ve been told that the D3 is just a factory-detuned D4 so a Stage 1 upgrade would effectively convert the D3 into a D4.

It follows—at least in my mind and based on what I’ve seen online—that the Stage 2 upgrade for a D3 is basically the same as a Stage 1 upgrade for a D4 and brings it up to 215hp. For that reason, what kind of mods would I need to add on to my D3 to bring it up to Stage 2 D3 (aka Stage 1 D4).

I know I might be being optimistic here but surely I wouldn’t need to much in the way of physical mods even for a Stage 2 D3, considering the engine is just a detuned D4?

If I do have to make some significant modifications, then where would I start? What’s the first thing you would upgrade? Intake? Clutch kit?

·
Registered
2017 T2 R-Design
35 Posts
More power usually means more heat, so faster wear and tear. First thing I'd think of is cooling and handling, which could include steering, transmission and stopping power. But essential to any upgrades would have to be traction, so make sure you have good tyres.

·
Registered
Volvo V40 Cross Country SE Nav D3 (2014)
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More power usually means more heat, so faster wear and tear. First thing I'd think of is cooling and handling, which could include steering, transmission and stopping power. But essential to any upgrades would have to be traction, so make sure you have good tyres.
Thanks, Alex!

·
Registered
V40 D3 2013
28 Posts
Hi,

Yes, D3 and D4 is the same engine, only different tune: D3 is 150 hp/350 Nm and D4 is 177 hp/400 Nm.
My 2013 V40 D3 is mapped with Rica Stage 1 that brings power to 201 hp/451 Nm.
No parts changed, nothing, stock everything.
Seen figures of 220-230 hp on other forums from this engine but I would not want to go higher because of the powertrain.

The manual M66D gearbox (Getrag 6MTT400) is rated for 450 Nm of continous torque but my guess is that the gearbox is stronger than the clutch.
A relative has a V60 with the same gearbox mated to a 270 hp(550-ish Nm) biturbo-D5 and the clutch only lasted for a few months.
If I remember correctly, his new uprated clutch should be good for 700 Nm.
Then again, I would not be surprised if the dual-mass-flywheel gives up next, not sure if there was some work done.

The Getrag 6MTT-gearbox is also used on the Focus RS and it has a reputation of being a strong unit but some differential- and 2nd syncro-failures reported.
Read up on Focus-forums for more info.

I drive mine so carefully 😄 I have not noticed any cooling issues.
Then again, this reminds me; I need to check charge air intake temps in the summertime, I have a led bar mounted in the intercooler duct.
If cooling is a concern, DO88 makes a really nice cooler and intercooler for the V40.

So there are things that can be done: cooler, intercooler, flywheel, clutch kit, diff kit etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts