Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Unfortunately my V40 its making some surprises.:s

For two times now, one at 1450km, and another now at 2900km.

When I'm driving in the city my start and stop becomes unavailable and a smell of burning rubber coming from the engine starts to enter in the V40 interior. I close the air circuit but after more or less two minutes it becomes impossible to breathe inside the car and all the passengers have to exit the car. I suspect that this only happens when I'm stopped or driving at very low speeds, like 10 to 20km/h. I go to the front of the V40 and a intense smell of burning rubber comes out from the engine grid exactly like the one that goes to the interior.:huh: The star and stop system gives the message that it becomes unavailable because probably the engine its to hot or maybe I´m driving at very high altitude. Neither one. The LCD points normal temperature, I´m almost at sea level and the temperature outside its 12 degrees Celsius. The only thing that's hot its near the grid where the eat from the engine comes out.

I already reported this to my dealer and they reported to the factory but until now I don't have any answer from the factory. My dealer suspect that the regeneration of the particulate filter its the responsible but his not sure. :-/

Anyone had something similar to what I reported in its V40?:huh:

By the way mine its the D4.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Don't worry at all, this is 100% DPF regeneration and why the start /stop won't work as the filter is going through its cycle. The smell is burning diesel exhaust deposits. You may find the cooling fan comes on and also the car feels a bit faster once completed

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answers. Volvo decided to recall my car tomorrow. It seems that for now mine its the only one with the situation that I described above and they want to investigate it. I will give more information when there are further developments.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lloydy said:
They won't find any faults, it happens on most modern diesels
Yes, they don't think the car has any serious problem. They are just worried with the smell going directly to the interior. Having your car doing the regeneration of the DPF while you are cruising in the city and suddenly after two minutes the interior becomes unbreathable and you have to go out the car its what they are worried about and I also.

I think they are going to force the DPF regeneration and study the problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update:

They acknowledge the problem and made an software update to the engine management hardware.
It seems that the DPF regeneration wasn't working 100%.
1000 kilometers after the update all I have to say its that situation didn't repeat itself. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yesterday I detected my first DPF regeneration since the software uptade when I was arriving home. Just for curiosity I decided to keep driving around until the regeneration finish its work. I needed to drive for more 8 km until the end of it. All went well. But I have to say if you are unlucky to have the regeneration starting when your stopped in traffic just cruising in first gear, you better close all the windows and shut the air circulation cause the smell its pretty intense...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Cavs said:
Yesterday I detected my first DPF regeneration since the software uptade when I was arriving home. Just for curiosity I decided to keep driving around until the regeneration finish its work. I needed to drive for more 8 km until the end of it. All went well. But I have to say if you are unlucky to have the regeneration starting when your stopped in traffic just cruising in first gear, you better close all the windows and shut the air circulation cause the smell its pretty intense...
Now that you don't get the noxious fumes, how can you tell when your V40 is doing a DPF regeneration?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mike said:
Cavs said:
Now that you don't get the noxious fumes, how can you tell when your V40 is doing a DPF regeneration?
You can know by the conjunction of two things: Increased consumption and start and stop unavailable.

Yesterday I detected cause I was going downhill with fourth gear in with no acceleration and the instantaneous consumption was pointing 1.5 to 1.9l/100km cause the engine its taking more fuel to increase temperature. Normally when you don't accelerate with a gear in, the fuel admission its cut and you see consumption of 0.0l/100km. I then suspected that the DPF regeneration was doing its thing and to confirm it I pressed the buttons "My car" - "Drive" - "Start and Stop". The messages "unavailable" and "causes: Engine temperature may be to high..." appears. I checked engine temperature gauge and all was fine. At the end of downhill I braked the car and obvious the start and stop didn't worked. Went out the car to the front and strong smell of burned rubber/fuel was there. That was I knew the DPF regeneration was working.;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
In my eyes it seems like an idiotic idea, to regenerate at low speeds. Normally this system only works at high speeds, so your car doesnt blow out big ammounts af NOX in the middle of the city. Thats not even legal in Denmark, so looking forward to see, if my V40 does the same thing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
...." Engine temperature may be to high..."
+ smell
so there is a BBQ under the hood

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
tsopanoskylo
Volvo V40 Forums
If you've ever wondered what modifications or upgrades you can do to a Volvo V40, this is the right owners club for you.
Full Forum Listing