Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I have only had my V40 for around a week and only driven it 3 times so far.
the first time the start/stop never worked at all. Yesterday it was working, which was great.....then today it decided not to work again.
Is there something wrong with the electrics in the car or is this something to be expected?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there,
I have only had my V40 for around a week and only driven it 3 times so far.
the first time the start/stop never worked at all. Yesterday it was working, which was great.....then today it decided not to work again.
Is there something wrong with the electrics in the car or is this something to be expected?
Thanks in advance
Hi,
I had the same problem about 5 weeks ago when i bought mine, I took it to Volvo and they said the battery was slighty low in juice and needed to drive it a bit to get it fully charged and it would be ok, and it is :). Something to do with the amount of energy it takes to keep starting the car. Hope this helps could be something different for you lets hope not.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info. just a bit strange that it works one day and then not the next. i will keep my eye in it for sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,

We had the same. I think our car had been lying at the dealer for a while.

After a few weeks of driving the stop/start started working.

To be honest, the first thing I usually do each time I start the car is to switch it off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
very probably mine was lying at the dealer for quite a while too. that might be it, jiust strange it works one day and not the next. is it not a function you find useful?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi.

Are you doing short journeys. The stop/ start battery is a second battery and is much smaller than the main one.

When we first got the car I'd just sit in it with the engine running in our driveway for 1/2 an hour or so. That seemed to help.

I'm just nervous of the stop/start function. I've got an underlying worry that the car won't start again in the queue of traffic.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had the same issue of start/stop not being available and low battery warning messages popping up every so often
Like most of us car has been limited to short journeys over the past year
Solved issue by putting battery on a trickle charge for a few hours
Fingers crossed battery will last another 6 months before we hand car back at end of lease

·
Registered
458 Posts
There are a few reasons, if you go into the Driv-E options on the car settings it will tell you if start stop is available or why not.
There are a number of reasons:
1. The battery charge is low
2. The engine is cold
3. There is too much power draw from the batteries (usually in winter if you have lights, heated seats, heated screens on)
4. On very warm days if there is demand for fans or aircon
5. If you have a diesel and the engine is doing a dpf cleaning cycle.

As this week is quite warm, you are driving short journeys and the car might have been on the forecourt for a while more than one of the above conditions could all be interacting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the replies. i will take it out for a decent run this weekend, im interested to see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
458 Posts
thanks for the replies. i will take it out for a decent run this weekend, im interested to see if that makes a difference.
A long run will give the battery a charge, and will bring the engine up to temp. I find on hot days it does kick in but only keeps the engine off for about the time the traffic lights change twice (in a queue) before the demand for the AC causes it to restart.

·
Registered
458 Posts
thanks, im learning new things about this car every day
There is a while thread on hidden features. Things like dimming the map lights, the coloured theatre lights, internet radio, hidden seat pockets, it just depends on the model year and trim level

·
Registered
509 Posts
It may take over an hour at speed to charge the battery sufficiently for it to have enough charge in both batteries for the S/S to work. Before lockdown, the car almost always had S/S avaliable, I would use the car then everyweekend, and once during the weekdays. During lockdown months, the S/S rarely worked, also I rarely used the car. If you started the car on a cold morning, it is unlikely for S/S to work even if your battery charge is high enough, likewise when it's over 30 degrees, it S/S never engages.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Driving at speed doesn't really help. Cars with start/stop have smart alternator systems. They do most of their charging on the overrun (throttle closed) or when braking. When using the throttle to propel the car forward or maintain speed the amount of charge is throttled back to reduce the load on the engine and minimise emissions. The battery management system maintains the battery at around 85% SOC to allow for charge from the smart alternator to be stored and re-used at the next engine stop event, but it also means that the battery has less overhead available before it reaches the floor at which the system shuts off start/stop to maintain the battery SOC.

The best thing you can do for your mental well being is not worry about it, and let the car work it out for itself. It will work when the ECUs decide they want it to, and not when they decide otherwise. Just let the car do it's thing ;)

·
Registered
Volvo v40 D3 Cross Country (Automatic)
16 Posts
There are a few reasons, if you go into the Driv-E options on the car settings it will tell you if start stop is available or why not.
There are a number of reasons:
1. The battery charge is low
2. The engine is cold
3. There is too much power draw from the batteries (usually in winter if you have lights, heated seats, heated screens on)
4. On very warm days if there is demand for fans or aircon
5. If you have a diesel and the engine is doing a dpf cleaning cycle.

As this week is quite warm, you are driving short journeys and the car might have been on the forecourt for a while more than one of the above conditions could all be interacting.

Totally agree with Tony and the above.
For me its happening sometimes the 2, 4 and I guess point 5.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Of you press my car then drive e it will tell you if stop/start is available or the reason why not,usually the main battery is low,drive it or stick a charger on it or just leave it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I wish my start/stop system never worked. Sometimes I forget to deactivate it after engine start :sneaky:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Mainly, at this time of the year the demand for air conditioning will prevent the start stop.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts