Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to share with you a problem that has been reported regarding some V40's, including mine: in some rough road surfaces (especially paving stone roads), the steering box makes a rattling noise which is quite annoying.

My dealer has confirmed that this problem has been acknowledged in some cars and they are waiting for formal instructions from the factory to determine the best course of action. Anyway, this doesn't seem to compromise in anyway the security and performance of the car.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My dealer said there is minimal looseness in the steering mechanism, resulting in this rattling sound, in my case on the right hand side. The conclusion was identical. I am now waiting for contact when a solution is available.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is there allready a solution for this rattling noise? More and more people, including me, seem to develop the same problem.... http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/fahrwerkspoltern-t4438775.html#post36457402

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Elsje said:
Is there allready a solution for this rattling noise? More and more people, including me, seem to develop the same problem.... http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/fahrwerkspoltern-t4438775.html#post36457402
I spoke to my dealer last week but Volvo hasn't given any solution yet. It seems that replacing the unit wouldn't solve the problem so the dealers seem to be waiting for formal instructions from Volvo to know how to act. They say they are analyzing the problem in order to find a solution but I can't understand why they are taking so long.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Steering box, ehmmm what? My car too make some strange noise on stone paving roads, is this the same issue?

·
Registered
11 Posts
kidu said:
Steering box, ehmmm what? My car too make some strange noise on stone paving roads, is this the same issue?
Yes.

I tried several pressures in the tyres (from eco to normal and vice versa) but that didn't solve the problem. Lately i have the impression that the rattling has diminished a bit by setting the electric adjustable steerforce (option) in the lowest/lightest setting. Do all the people, who have the rattling, also have the steerforce option?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Elsje said:
kidu said:
Yes, it probably is. I wasn't sure what was causing the problem but as soon as I explained it to my dealer, they said it was caused by the steering box and that it had already been reported by other drivers.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ok, and does volvo have a solution for us?

... ah is says over that its reported to volvo atleast ; )

·
Registered
50 Posts
Don't have the options and haven't noticed any noise on cobble type road surface. Strange one and won't be a quick fix by the sounds of it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That might be the reason, that its taking so long.

I have the steering force option too, but havent had the opportunity to check for rattling yet. I'll do so within a week or so, and report back. My car has left steering, so maybe it can be determined if its a general problem, or a left/right steering problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
kidu said:
Have anyone sent mail directly to volvo about this issue yet?
Not had the problem but looks like a recall issue to me .
Had 3 recalls on my last S40 but would rather be safe than sorry -After all a lot of folk buy Volvos for their Safety record(I do anyway!):blush:

·
Super Moderator
630 Posts
Mmm, interesting. When I slow down at a stop or robot, and the road is a somewhat bad, almost like dirt road, I hear a noise similar to something being loose on the suspension. Is this the same noise you all are referring to.

Mine has the sport pack with lowered suspension and 18 inch Midar wheels on, so you feel more of the road.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
10 Participants
VoodooBOB
Volvo V40 Forums
If you've ever wondered what modifications or upgrades you can do to a Volvo V40, this is the right owners club for you.
Full Forum Listing