Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2018 T3 R Design manual
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I purchased my 68 plate R design in 2019, the steering has felt too sensitive. No matter what speed I'm driving, the steering is too light/sensitive. Also, imperfections in road surface alter direction of the front wheels (similar to tramlining), even painted lane markings take hold of the front wheels. Has anyone else experienced similar issues, or provide any advice about what could be causing the issue? (My car doesn't have adjustable speed dependant steering option).

·
Registered
776 Posts
Sounds like the tracking is out of alignment.
Could also just be bad tyres, very worn, mixed types/makes, wrong pressure so check that yourself first.

·
Registered
2018 T3 R Design manual
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks HP. I did notice the issue when I first took it out for a test drive, (presumed it was just the road surfaces near the dealership). It had a different set of wheels on the test drive, the dealer upgraded the wheels to sweeten the deal. So I can rule out tyres being the culprit. Altering pressure hasn't made any difference. Next step will be getting the tracking/alignment checked. Though another thing to point out, I'm not experiencing the usual issues associated with poor wheel alignment, there's no uneven tyre wear, car doesn't pull on level roads.

Willowbrae, have you had your tracking/alignment checked?

·
Registered
776 Posts
If the dealer upgraded to bigger wheels with lower profile tyres that would definitely exaggerate the effects of any misalignment.

·
Registered
2018 T3 R Design manual
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the dealer upgraded to bigger wheels with lower profile tyres that would definitely exaggerate the effects of any misalignment.
The problem was there even before the wheels where upgraded.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks HP. I did notice the issue when I first took it out for a test drive, (presumed it was just the road surfaces near the dealership). It had a different set of wheels on the test drive, the dealer upgraded the wheels to sweeten the deal. So I can rule out tyres being the culprit. Altering pressure hasn't made any difference. Next step will be getting the tracking/alignment checked. Though another thing to point out, I'm not experiencing the usual issues associated with poor wheel alignment, there's no uneven tyre wear, car doesn't pull on level roads.

Willowbrae, have you had your tracking/alignment checked?
Hi, the car was recently bought through the Volvo Selekt scheme so I'm assuming that would have been part of the 150 point check. Saying that, they managed to give us a car with the wrong locking wheel nut.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think I notice "tram lining" more on my V40 than I have previous cars - where the car seems to follow contours on the road quite easily - but I wouldn't say it was excessive to the point of being an issue.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'd be looking at tyres but you say they have been changed.
Mine is quite sensitive to camber changes and gives the appearance of too much toe out. An alignment check found nothing wrong. A couple more PSI has made a big improvement.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It is allegedly a common sensation with the V40. Local main dealer and independent were not surprised when I mentioned it.
I had it checked by a recommended local place but no improvement. I then had it done via the local Volvo dealer along with the annual service. They reported some adjustment necessary. It did make a difference but it still is quite sensitive. It rides perfectly though so I guess it is a function of the assured handling of the V40?

@Old engineer. What pressures are you running on what size tyre please?

·
Registered
183 Posts
225/50 17 V.
I run the fronts at 38 (normal is 35F / 33R). They have an ECO setting at 38/38 so not a problem.

Reactions: V40Pete

·
Registered
71 Posts
Directional tyres are renown for tram lining.
If your tyre has a solid centre band of rubber it will tram line.
These tyres are best to use for drifting as they have a stiffer sidewall as will so exaggerating the tram lining.
Get some cheaper tyres.
Road camber will also affect steering. The camber setting on your car is changed whether it is LH or RH drive.
Camber is only an average setting ideal for one road camber. Every road has a different camber.
Need to increase your speed, won't notice the light steering as you will be having more fun in your R Design :)

·
Registered
Volvo V40 Momentum R-Design D2, 2017
69 Posts
It's something strange going on, I drove a few V40's and all of them from 2017, and also mine all with the common characteristic of a tight of a bit hard steering wheel, also compared with some other brands and cars...

·
Registered
2018 T3 R Design manual
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Directional tyres are renown for tram lining.
If your tyre has a solid centre band of rubber it will tram line.
These tyres are best to use for drifting as they have a stiffer sidewall as will so exaggerating the tram lining.
Get some cheaper tyres.
Road camber will also affect steering. The camber setting on your car is changed whether it is LH or RH drive.
Camber is only an average setting ideal for one road camber. Every road has a different camber.
Need to increase your speed, won't notice the light steering as you will be having more fun in your R Design :)
I'm sure my issue is not caused by the tyres or wheels. I test drove another V40 R design (T2, but same year) with these wheels and tyres before they where fitted to my car, the steering on that car was more solid.

Got the car booked in at the main dealer in a few weeks.

·
Registered
2018 T3 R Design manual
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is allegedly a common sensation with the V40. Local main dealer and independent were not surprised when I mentioned it.
I had it checked by a recommended local place but no improvement. I then had it done via the local Volvo dealer along with the annual service. They reported some adjustment necessary. It did make a difference but it still is quite sensitive. It rides perfectly though so I guess it is a function of the assured handling of the V40?

@Old engineer. What pressures are you running on what size tyre please?
The main dealer service department were less than helpful when I phoned the other day. They suggested altering the adjustable steering force; when I told them my car does not have that option fitted, there was silence on their end of the phone. Anyway, I've booked it in to check the steering, but the conversation with the service department has left me with no confidence they're interested in taking the issue on board.

·
Registered
2018 T3 R Design manual
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Took the car into the volvo dealer to check steering etc, and they say the car is steering as it should. No loose components or faults, and 4 wheel alignment done...

The courtesy car given to me was an identical model and mileage, yet the steering was acceptable. I really don't know what to do next. My only option is to get rid of the car, and I honestly don't want another volvo. As far as I'm concerned there is definitely something wrong with the car causing this problem with the steering.

It is frustrating and tiring to drive. Even the most minor road imperfection cause the steering wheel to move. My issue is not that the front wheels respond exactly to the steering wheel, which I agree is a sign of assured driving; the problem I have is the front road wheels change direction according to the road surface, and pulls the steering wheel too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I got the same issue on my MY2015 D4, it was not that bad but not as good as I wanted it to be, but after a year my steering rack broke and got a new one installed by volvo. It drove very well but after 1 week of getting it back I stupidly drove over a yellow parking lot curb. Steerinh wheel off center and drove really bad. I got a (hunter) alignment done and stil it drives not good at al, same issues as you described. Everything looks fine, maybe its due to bad struts/shocks.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G965F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 T3 R Design manual
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got the same issue on my MY2015 D4, it was not that bad but not as good as I wanted it to be, but after a year my steering rack broke and got a new one installed by volvo. It drove very well but after 1 week of getting it back I stupidly drove over a yellow parking lot curb. Steerinh wheel off center and drove really bad. I got a (hunter) alignment done and stil it drives not good at al, same issues as you described. Everything looks fine, maybe its due to bad struts/shocks.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G965F met Tapatalk
2 months and I'm still no wiser what's causing this issue, and along with my clutch problem (another post), I'm looking to move away from volvo ownership. This v40 really is horrible to drive.

·
Registered
108 Posts
well i must admit, my car was way way better after i got the new steering rack, but then i hit that curb that fucked it up. what rims/tire combo are you driving?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts