Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well guys finally finished my sub install had a few issues getting the freq correct the first box was a bit small but I needed the space for my toolbox and laptop .so had to play with the porting.
My amp has a volume control which I brought up through the same hole as the usb plug and mounted it inside the arm rest .it comes from under the rear mat and through the armrest support .

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nice!
What stereo system do you have in your car?
Did it require some modifications or could you just connect the amp to existing connections on the headunit?
Haven't got my car yet, but I'm a sucker for spine ratteling base, so I have already been thinking about adding a sub...

Reactions: MagaDS

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update

sorry been away a lot but centre console has only four screws remove the vents you find two and the two at the bottom and then carefully pull the consol from the top there is two clips that hold it.

but there is no need to remove the console at all for adding a sub as the amp for the head unit is found under the passenger seat so getting a feed for the sub is as easy as using the front feeds and using a high to low converter ..

I use the spare fuse on the battery box its 80 amps so no problem .I run the feed under the car and come into the car through the spare wheel .there is a rubber plug you just need to reseal it when you push the cable through .I use a quick release power plug with fuse situated in the triangle pockets next to the spare wheel and the high low converter is situated on the other side .
The feed for the amp signal is a issue if you have sensis its easy you can use the supply for the sensus unit found on the rear left hand side panel .but if you are like me and don't you need to run a cable from the front cigarette lighter unit not the power plug unit in the centre consol to switch on the amp .

·
Registered
233 Posts
sorry been away a lot but centre console has only four screws remove the vents you find two and the two at the bottom and then carefully pull the consol from the top there is two clips that hold it.

but there is no need to remove the console at all for adding a sub as the amp for the head unit is found under the passenger seat so getting a feed for the sub is as easy as using the front feeds and using a high to low converter ..

I use the spare fuse on the battery box its 80 amps so no problem .I run the feed under the car and come into the car through the spare wheel .there is a rubber plug you just need to reseal it when you push the cable through .I use a quick release power plug with fuse situated in the triangle pockets next to the spare wheel and the high low converter is situated on the other side .
The feed for the amp signal is a issue if you have sensis its easy you can use the supply for the sensus unit found on the rear left hand side panel .but if you are like me and don't you need to run a cable from the front cigarette lighter unit not the power plug unit in the centre consol to switch on the amp .
I'd be keen to do a similar mod once I can on my car. Only getting it next week so will take time to get used to it and the like. Looking perhaps at one of those slim subs (8 or 10 inches) to preserve space in the boot.

Thanks for the info :)

·
Registered
945 Posts
So re you ran the power cable under with the car I.e. Outside?

Most will run it down a sill (opposite on to the signal cables)

Thanks for the info re the centre console, the dealer seems to have fixed it on their 2nd attempt so I can put my tools away

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cable

So re you ran the power cable under with the car I.e. Outside?

Most will run it down a sill (opposite on to the signal cables)

Thanks for the info re the centre console, the dealer seems to have fixed it on their 2nd attempt so I can put my tools away
yes I ran it on the outside kept all cables easily removable and didn't want to make holes in the front firewall and the can bus cable runs both sides so didn't want to touch it .the cable runs down the right hand side its clipped into the spare clip between the brake lines and the fuel lines running down the right. I also as a safety precaution I put the power cable inside a 10mm fuel line so it is double protected in case of damage

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is there some more information available about the 'amplifier'?
I suggest red/black wires are power? Green connector will be speaker cables? Two yellow input signal? What is the connector that isn't used?

I was planning to add small active subwoofer to the Premium Sound system...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear Toolmantim,

I´ve looked in a lot of forums but finally I found something useful :)

A question though - do you have any pics of how you connected into the
OEM-amp? What cables and so on...

Thx for a great thread

Best regards from the home of Volvo
/Carl

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good day sorry just come back to the forum been away some time .I will look for you if not i will look for my notes

·
Registered
Volvo V40 Momentum R-Design D2, 2017
75 Posts
Is there some more information available about the 'amplifier'?
I suggest red/black wires are power? Green connector will be speaker cables? Two yellow input signal? What is the connector that isn't used?

I was planning to add small active subwoofer to the Premium Sound system...
Have the same doubts.
I want to do it on mine, an ative subwoofer under the passenger seat perhaps, they are small and slim, it's a good option.

A question though - do you have any pics of how you connected into the
OEM-amp? What cables and so on...
Will be nice if we could se some pics... i have the stock amplifier behind the drivers seat and could install a slim sub under the passengers seat would be great!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.