Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, not been on for a while.

Search seems a bit pants, have tried all manner of ways and canot find anything...

The D4 is approaching 60k miles and I have never been happy with the sloppy handking. The missus has just bought a new Fiesta and it's handing makes a mockery of the V40.

Tramping up and down motoryway and it feels imprecise and pitchy under heavy braking. I run Pirelli tyres as their reduced grip levels stop the dangerous stepping out under hard braking I used to get on std (grippier) rubber.

So I am thinking it is well overdue time I updated the suspension. I absolutely DO NOT want it any lower but want it far stiffer, preferably adjustable.

Any success stories?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I don't have an answer to your question, but I do have to wonder - do you own the right car for you? Volvos, it seems to me, are for older folk (such as myself) who appreciate comfort and who tend to ooze gently down the road, rather than take corners on 2 wheels. Mine (V40CC D3) does this to perfection. Whether it be on the Autobahn or on winding Swiss country roads, it seems to go very well with no imprecision or lack of security. You actually sound like a Golf GTI sort of guy to me - or perhaps a second Fiesta?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree with Tones. I replaced my C30 R Design with a V40 CC as I wanted a softer ride. There is a multitude of aftermarket suspension out there if you want to change it though.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Welcome back Jifen! Good to hear from you again mate :smile2:
I would think your first stop would be to contact Ohlins...
They have done the adjustable S/V60 Polestar suspension upgrades for years so should know what will work best on a Volvo!
Not likely to be cheap though!

Do you not still own the Lotus?
I'm surprised you're impressed with the Fiesta with a Lotus in the garage!
Test drove the Fiesta ST when the boss was shopping for her 86 & yes it does handle well but I couldn't live with the suspension long term.
She felt the same & chose the 86GTS & still loves it.
The funny thing is whenever we are planning any sort of a long distance trip she's happy to take the V40.

The 86 is a great corner carver but...
It can't hold a candle to the V40T5R for eating kms in comfort & just blasting past B doubles climbing hills 40-50km/h under the speed limit >:)
Horses for courses mate!
Good luck with your search :wink2:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I don't have an answer to your question, but I do have to wonder - do you own the right car for you? Volvos, it seems to me, are for older folk (such as myself) who appreciate comfort and who tend to ooze gently down the road, rather than take corners on 2 wheels. Mine (V40CC D3) does this to perfection. Whether it be on the Autobahn or on winding Swiss country roads, it seems to go very well with no imprecision or lack of security. You actually sound like a Golf GTI sort of guy to me - or perhaps a second Fiesta?
Hi Tony, hope you well my friend, good news is my UK patent application was granted & we have commenced our national phase in the top 20 manufacturing economies. Have Hong Kong and Canada granted this week too.

Had to smile reading your post... Been driving 35 years and dont have the focus or cander to drive how I once did. The D4 is four years old in Nov (50k miles) and I have never been happy with the suspension but time and miles have relaxed things. I am hiking up and down motorway of late and find it disconcertingly 'floaty' with anything over 20kg in the boot.

I always felt the back end had a tendancy to step out on the standard tyres under hard braking, so I went onto the Pirelli's years ago and find their slightly reduced grip a better match for the limits of the chassis as it reduced the tendancy to step away as the full braking effectivity is slightly reduced.

I had to brake heavy on m'way last week in a straight line and the back end tried to come round (pushing me to left slightly), it was very un nerving and VERY dangerous.

Took it to dealers (as the springs have a tendancy to break at the very bottom where they hang them to paint) but got the all clear.

As for the car... I absolutely love it. Free road Tax, 225hp 400Nm Torque & 66 mpg all day long whilst conveying you at a good pace on the motorway

Not pretense that it's a racing car - been there done that - It is a gutsy car but the low limits of the chassis make it a little lairy to drive quicky (on the rare occasion one may want to)

I have to ask... Have you ever had to brake to the extent that the hazzards come on? Likley not or I suspect you may relate to my plight... I completely understand & respect your position though my friend :smile2:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Welcome back Jifen! Good to hear from you again mate :smile2:
I would think your first stop would be to contact Ohlins...
They have done the adjustable S/V60 Polestar suspension upgrades for years so should know what will work best on a Volvo!
Not likely to be cheap though!

Do you not still own the Lotus?
I'm surprised you're impressed with the Fiesta with a Lotus in the garage!
Test drove the Fiesta ST when the boss was shopping for her 86 & yes it does handle well but I couldn't live with the suspension long term.
She felt the same & chose the 86GTS & still loves it.
The funny thing is whenever we are planning any sort of a long distance trip she's happy to take the V40.

The 86 is a great corner carver but...
It can't hold a candle to the V40T5R for eating kms in comfort & just blasting past B doubles climbing hills 40-50km/h under the speed limit >:)
Horses for courses mate!
Good luck with your search :wink2:
Now then Pal, good to hear from you.

Lotus? are you thinking of 'Denn1s', I seem to recall he had a racing Lotus tucked away.

I love Ohlins, the dealer rang me today and advised that Polestar do a suspansion pack for the V40, would love to think it was adjustable but doubt it @ £750 fully fitted. They have gone away to verify that it does not lower the car, I run the car all year round and don't want to limit it's winter capabilty. Drove back 250 miles from Bath in 2-3 foot of snow in March and simply would have not made it with a car 1" lower https://youtu.be/S6c5i140oAM

Really not looking for a racing car, just want a slightly stiffer set up to match the (Polestar) power as don't see me chaning it for a couple of years yet as the UK road tax changes mean that the same car bought today has to pay road tax (I dont)

You are right the Fiest suspension is rock hard, but to the same degree the V40 is too unstable, so would be happy with something mid way, I am regularly doing 3-500 mile daily trips and I certainly wouldnt want to do it in the Festa :wink2:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I agree with Tones. I replaced my C30 R Design with a V40 CC as I wanted a softer ride. There is a multitude of aftermarket suspension out there if you want to change it though.
Cheers Graham, it is a very versatile brand and does have wide appeal. I too sympathise with Tony's point.

I have another year under warrently so don't want to lose this and just want a modest improvement, nothing extreme.

Adjustables would be perfect as I could soften in winter and stiffen up when carrying 60-80kg in the boot (which I often do)

When I ordered the car orignally I specified the sports suspension but the dealer omitted it, given it would have been 30mm lower I am really glad they did now as I absolutely would not want it any lower.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Lotus? are you thinking of 'Denn1s', I seem to recall he had a racing Lotus tucked away.
Indeed... What a wombat I am :blush:
Apologies to you both! I don't think Denn1s stops by anymore or I'm sure he would have already accused me of keyboard car theft!!

I guess I'm very fortunate I don't have snow to contend with unless I go looking for it as I am a big fan of the lowered sports suspension on my R
I suspect it may be a factory "cure" for your hard braking issues as I have been in a situation or two of activating the hazards under braking & she pulled up nice & straight!
I even had cause to give her a "thankyou car" pat on the dashboard on one of the occasions while doing 110km/h on the motorway!
A no look SUV driver changed lanes about 6 cars ahead straight into another car which of course had everyone behind them jamming on the brakes.
The guy in front of me in a fully loaded HiLux ute actually swerved over onto the grass median strip to avoid the car in front of him & I soon saw why... POLICE CAR :surprise:
I am VERY pleased to report with the police car seeing the whole thing... when I was eventually able to get past it all he was writing the muppet SUV driver a ticket!
Who says they are never around when you need them!
I gave her a full wash, wax & vacuum when I got home as a thankyou :smile2:
Hope you can find a setup you are happy with mate :wink2:

Reactions: jifen

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Indeed... What a wombat I am :blush:
Apologies to you both! I don't think Denn1s stops by anymore or I'm sure he would have already accused me of keyboard car theft!!
I am a big fan of the lowered sports suspension on my R
I have been in a situation or two of activating the hazards under braking & she pulled up nice & straight!
He he, no worries, I held Denn1s in high regard too!
Of your other two statements above, I think the 1st explains the 2nd - std suspansion is 'sloppy'

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hi Tony, hope you well my friend, good news is my UK patent application was granted & we have commenced our national phase in the top 20 manufacturing economies. Have Hong Kong and Canada granted this week too.
Excellent news! Hopefully all the hard work (and expense!) will pay off.

Had to smile reading your post... Been driving 35 years and dont have the focus or cander to drive how I once did. The D4 is four years old in Nov (50k miles) and I have never been happy with the suspension but time and miles have relaxed things. I am hiking up and down motorway of late and find it disconcertingly 'floaty' with anything over 20kg in the boot.
This made me realise (with horror!) that I got my driving licence (in Belfast) in 1966! I have never been a great driver - I am, for example, quite possibly, the world's worst parker of a car - so I tend to be very cautious, leaving lots of space between myself and the car in front, in order to have ample time to react. In addition, I like to extract the maximum possible fuel consumption, so this means anticipation (to avoid hard braking, and even braking at all (trying to hit traffic lights just as they change)). It's a style of driving that seems to go naturally with the V40CC, so I have never noticed any floatiness or other suspension gremlins at 4 years and 47,000Km. This, I realise, might be down to lack of perception on my part. So, the answer to this query

I have to ask... Have you ever had to brake to the extent that the hazzards come on? Likley not or I suspect you may relate to my plight... I completely understand & respect your position though my friend :smile2:
is no. I wish you well in your search for suspension perfection!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So after assurances the Polestar suspension upgrade did not alter the ride height - it did - significantly

As usual my dealer has been brilliant and fully prepared to remove FOC

Does anyone have any experience of the polestar suspension update and similar effects on ride height

The high speed stability is vastly improved and exactly what I sought but the ride height is impractically low

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en-gb/V40(13-)/Accessories/Sections/polestar-performance/2019

·
Registered
942 Posts
Mate!
Ride height is the least of your worries... They've turned your car upside down :surprise:

Sorry Jifen…
Couldn't help myself :blush:

My only experience of the Polestar setup is a 30min run in my dealers test mule D4 that had the works fitted.
It had everything in the Polestar catalogue & it did ride really well... A noticeable though not vast improvement on my factory sports suspension.
How often is snow an issue because I didn't have any problems with speed bumps or driveways with the lowered ride height in the D4 mule.
Nor are they a problem in my T5R.
I think I'd be tempted to take the gain in stability which is a 24/7 improvement & try & live with any ride height issues that may crop up occasionally.
Obviously your call though!
Good Luck! :wink2:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mate!
Ride height is the least of your worries... They've turned your car upside down :surprise:

Sorry Jifen…
Couldn't help myself :blush:

My only experience of the Polestar setup is a 30min run in my dealers test mule D4 that had the works fitted.
It had everything in the Polestar catalogue & it did ride really well... A noticeable though not vast improvement on my factory sports suspension.
How often is snow an issue because I didn't have any problems with speed bumps or driveways with the lowered ride height in the D4 mule.
Nor are they a problem in my T5R.
I think I'd be tempted to take the gain in stability which is a 24/7 improvement & try & live with any ride height issues that may crop up occasionally.
Obviously your call though!
Good Luck! :wink2:

I posted it that way just so you could see it the right way up - being down under and all

Darn pics - looked ok when I posted

It seems there is a 'light' and a 'heavy' set, the former has been fitted and I think the latter should have been, with you having sports Chassis I doubt there will be much difference. When compared to standard the difference is VERY apparent

I know the sports chassis is 30mm lower but the PS one was not supposed to be any lower - but will be if my notion is correct that the wrong vehicle weight set have been fitted

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This was all sorted to my satisfaction. It ended up going back to Polestar and they sent a replacement set which was based on the 'heavy' rears. This brought the height back within about 5-10mm of original. Done 15k miles since and must say it was money very well spent. Not unduly hard but brings a nice level of control back into the rear end after 60k miles, the others had given up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts