Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm due to pick up my new T3 at the end of this week but am slightly concerned at the reports on this forum mentioning a thumping/knocking sound when shifting between 1-2 or 2-1which only seem to affect this model.

I've quizzed the dealer who claims not to know about any issues, but can any T3 owners reassure me that they have not had any similar problems?

Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Further to this, I've just spoken to Volvo UK warranty dept who advised they are not aware of a common fault relating to the T3 gearbox "clonking".

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Mine had this "backlash", but mine was very bad. New gearbox and it was sorted. Car still has a slight noise, but it is not always there. Had a T4 with Polestar for 3 days, and it does the same.

I was told it is normal and have accepted it, but I am still not convinced. I know you can't compare cars, but BMW, VW, Audi and Mazda that I have driven in my lifetime, doesn't have this noise.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info (was the noise always there since the car was new?)

I've advised the dealership that they have to road-test the car prior to me taking delivery to check for this issue. They have agreed to this but I guess the noise may only develop over time?

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Car was quiet at first, but being new, everything feels awesome in the car, then the longer you have it, then you start hearing stuff. Mine started after about 2 weeks since I had the car. Have the new gearbox in almost 2 months now, no issues.

Like I said, slight knock when changing gears between 1 and 3, but not always there and you have to concentrate and listen, or else you won't notice. Car is still brilliant. Maybe see if they have a demo that has done 2 or 3000 km, then listen to the gear changes and see if you are happy.

I have driven 3 different V40's now, and not one of them is the same.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK thanks again

Collected it yesterday and all is well at present. A cracking car!.....Volvo really have come up trumps with this!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts