Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2017 T2 R-Design
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone.
Long time fan of the Volvo brand, mainly because of the old conservative but distinguished looks, always thought if I ever get the chance, I'd have one, preferably with all the bells and whistles.
A few weeks ago, it happened, just as my Civic started to get old and creaky, the stars all aligned and I had the chance to buy a Volvo with 0% APR.
So I settled for a MY17 T2, only knowing the basics of it and always overlooking this model when dreaming of replacing my aging Honda. Turned out I really liked it after the dealer sent me a presentation video and I started to fall in love with the subtleties of the design. And a proper 2L turbo engine, yes please! Especially when considering my road tax would be cheaper and no chamge to my insurance premium.
So I bit the bullet, bought the car without even test driving it (thanks pandemic) and I can honestly say it feels like a proper upgrade to my former Type S (although I kinda miss the cruise control).
I have been lurking around here trying to find clarification on different niggles I originally had with the car (dab not working with the rear window heater on, sensus not turning off when turning engine off, etc) and decided to come out and let all newcomers all people thinking of getting a V40 T2 that it is definitely worth going for it.
At least it was for me, no more bumpy roads, no more squeaks, comfy plush ride.

PS: not got any extras on it so no bells and whistles, but I realized the basics are more than enough for me (bluetooth streaming and auto folding mirrors).

·
Registered
338 Posts
I like your idea of having just the "basics". I even don't have the navigation. I do have the performance audio and 17" segomo wheels and a nice 2 liter engine with automatic gearbox.
I also like your grey color.

·
Registered
2017 T2 R-Design
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey there! Yes, the grey is nice, I think it's called Osmium grey, it's a metallic paint, the nice thing about it is it does not show the dirt on it as much as a black car (my previous car was black and you could see all the little water streaks after a rain, not to mention the mud and salt from the roads). Having an older car previously with not many toys on it has made me appreciate what is now expected as standard in most vehicles, so I don't really feel the need to have too many extras that could distract me from the experience of driving or too many automatic aids. For me, having auto rain sensors for example just means the experience of manually having to use my wipers is taken away from me and I'm a hands on kinda guy, I like my buttons and dials, I don't want the car to do it on its own, I want to do it all, to feel like I'm more connected and a part of the driving process rather than having everything done for me and me just holding the steering wheel and working the pedals. It comes from a childhood where my dad would drive a very unreliable old car which he constantly had to repair by the side of the road, would know every nook and cranny of it and would have this entire start up procedure as if he would be flying a plane, not trying to start a Renault 12. I guess I don't enjoy having my car beep at me when I don't have my seatbelt on or when my screen washer fluid is running low. My old Honda used to beep at me and flash me messages on the dash when I would open my door to get out. I always felt the need to reply in Jeremy Clarkson's voice 'I know the door is open you stupid machine, because I opened it!'.
Saying that, I really do appreciate the doors locking when driving off or the mirrors folding when locking the car. That is about the most level of automation I would want from a car. Anything else, I'd rather do it myself and spare me the possibility of any auto system failing on me.
My wife had a Renault Megane with auto wipers, auto lights, auto everything, and every other day the car would spit out error codes and eml lights on the dash because of those systems. Was a right pain in the backside.

·
Registered
338 Posts
My car is black...:D
I am an electronics engineer, and i know all these electronic gadgets will fail sooner or later. :):)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts