Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So a few weeks ago I had my T2 remapped! And oh my god. It was amazing. It has gone to 190bhp and 320nm torque. Was like a new car.

Everything was perfect and great! Even fuel economy had gone up!

Then it went for its service and Volvo...

Me being an idiot didn't think anything of it to think sh*t when they do a system update it will over write my map.

It has... It's slow and I'm sad and £270 out of pocket.

Don't fall for my stupid mistake.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Oh my...I'm very sorry for you!

But I'm wondering that your dealer didn't say anything when running the system update. Usually they see that a different software is installed and then should ask why's that...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Rookie error there mate!

Might be worth giving the company a buzz and seeing if they'll reload the map for a nominal fee...

·
Registered
67 Posts
If your mileage means you only have one service a year why not pay the £270 again? It's a small amount for a years worth of fast motoring!

·
Registered
80 Posts
:surprise: Where did you get it remapped for only £270?

Rica and others want double that amount.......

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys! Well it had a coolant leak so they changed the water pump under warranty. To be fair surprised they didn't notice as it does invalidate it apperently.

A company in West Yorkshire. Awesome guy bent over backwards to do it.

I'm going to get it re-done at some point but I've just bought a motorbike so I spent my spare pennies haha!

One of life's learning curves hey!

Anyone thinking of doing it. DO IT. Rev limiter gets removed too! ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just out of interest Alex. I've remapped a few vehicles in my time, and the general rule of thumb for power increases with car engines is around 30% for turbo-diesels and 20% for turbocharged petrols (diesels can handle higher peak cylinder pressures than petrol engines). Your remap has boosted power output by almost 60% if the engine was at claimed 190bhp (assuming your T2 is a standard 120bhp). Engines running hot or losing coolent, blowing gaskets, leaking injectors and over-boosting are not unknown after remaps. To be honest, unless you have a dyno readout, you've no way of knowing what true power your engine is putting out.

Not all "remaps" are the same. Stock "maps" can be bought over the internet and flashed in by anyone with a laptop and the software. I'd be careful if I were you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just out of interest Alex. I've remapped a few vehicles in my time, and the general rule of thumb for power increases with car engines is around 30% for turbo-diesels and 20% for turbocharged petrols (diesels can handle higher peak cylinder pressures than petrol engines). Your remap has boosted power output by almost 60% if the engine was at claimed 190bhp (assuming your T2 is a standard 120bhp). Engines running hot or losing coolent, blowing gaskets, leaking injectors and over-boosting are not unknown after remaps. To be honest, unless you have a dyno readout, you've no way of knowing what true power your engine is putting out.

Not all "remaps" are the same. Stock "maps" can be bought over the internet and flashed in by anyone with a laptop and the software. I'd be careful if I were you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Did you manage to get a new remap or were you content with the original. Just asking as I'm about to get my car serviced and mot. Had my T2 remapped, Dyno read just over 200bhp.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Did you manage to get a new remap or were you content with the original. Just asking as I'm about to get my car serviced and mot. Had my T2 remapped, Dyno read just over 200bhp.
hows your car after some time of driving on the new map? i am considering the BSR 1.5 tune.. not sure how the engine will hold up though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Remap was awesome. Had the same issue as the original post. Got it serviced from Volvo dealership and they flashed the ECU with an update and erased the map, this was last September. Considered getting it mapped again but my weekly commute has changed and I'm mostly town driving so kept it stock which is good enough getting up to 30mph. When it was mapped it would torque steer when pushing it but it added to the excitement. I'd probably look at a remap in the future when I get bored again and start looking at other cars.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes I have flashed the ECU with the Rica Tune at the local dealer here in Greece. You can check a thread I opened last day for my impressions. Prices and availability are available also on their website

·
Registered
637 Posts
For info, you can do a Stage1 or Stage2 yourself from home for 299 Euro.

Then can have the option to go back to OEM and Remapped whenever you like using vDash.

Have a google, couple of threads on here.
I'm so tempted..

·
Registered
175 Posts
One of the tuners that VDash use for their maps, who is US based, has a lot of poor reviews for their direct sale tuning maps on Swedespeed, with several reports of damaged engines. I have no knowledge of the NL based tuner, but caveat emptor!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Cheap tunings are never good. I don't say that expensive tunings are always good. Just find a good tuner that makes the changes to your original software himself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts