Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 18 reg T2 Rdesign manual, I got it factory new a few months in I had to have the front two tyres repaired from extreme punctures... there was metal on the road and chewed them up.

Since then my front tyres did around 8000miles and they were worn down to nearly legal limit the volvo dealership are completely clueless as to how this is occurring. I am driving close to 1000 miles a week on dual carriageway commuting however this shouldn't cause such an extreme wear?
I also found that they replaced one tyre with a 235/45R17 however the other 3 are 225/45R17

·
Registered
259 Posts
The wearing down of tyres this quickly, is not THAT uncommon in V40s, but most do make it to about 12k, and motorway miles should be 'easy' on tyres. I mean I've done only just under 5k miles, and they are around 6mm now. The two previous cars I've had and returned @ 10k miles, still had 5.5mm (2.0TDI) and 6.5mm (1.0TSI) on fronts, and my V40 is currently at this point @ 5k miles! 205/55R16s At least the wear rate on fronts and rears are close (how is this possible?)
A bit cheeky for them to replace the fronts with different sizes (perhaps this is why your wears so quickly?). Usually they say that, you can have different makes of tyres (in pairs) on axles, but someone correct me if I'm wrong, you shouldn't have 2 tyres of different make on the same axle, let alone different widths! At least are the tyres wearing evently? Else might be a tracking issue? I have Primacy 4 tyres, assuming yours are Pilot Sport 3s?
Are your tyre pressures correct?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm down only 1.5 mm on the Primacy 4 over the last 9k miles. So I wouldn't say they wear quickly.

My winter tyres are down 2 mm over 6k miles but they're considered below average when it comes to wear (they're great when it comes to grip though!)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
^^^^ Data from 7 years ago is not really relevant I would suggest. Is there any more up to date data to support your comment?

·
Registered
259 Posts
All I'm trying to say is that V40 tends to go through tyres quicker than most cars. Of course, it's not possible to show that other cars last longer, though other forums of other makes might reflect this, and my personal experience on previous cars show that V40 wears around 'twice as fast.' The data I provided that i believe is by Michellin, although possibly biased in showing their tyres are superior than others, even the faster wearing tyre make put on a Ford Focus (which is what the V40 platform was based on (right?) still makes it to 18k miles average. From my experience (on wear rates) and other forum users, V40s reach their limit on the 8-12k mark. At this rate the original poster would need tyres every 2-3 months!

·
452 Posts
I come from Greece (hotter climate !) and I own a V40 D2 MY 2013 (yes, Peugeot, Citroen, Ford engine). In terms of power, the car is similar to a D2 with the VEA diesel engine, designation D2. What I have to say is that I did not notice any signs of excessive wear and I plan to change my set of tyres in use at 40000 kms, rather due to their age and not their wear.. What I also have to say is that it is absolutely non acceptable to put different size tyres on the same axle (even on different axles, but this is another story). Your tyres circumferences are different, your car goes "sideways" because of this, more friction is developing between tyre and road surface. I am sure a lot of tyre wear can be attributed to this.

·
Registered
606 Posts
That's a good question. Driving regularly in Greece I'm always very careful about grip as cars (well to be fair the hire cars I have) will usually have tyres that are a long way from the premium brands I buy for my own cars in the UK.
I find that in heavy rain for example nearly all local drivers in rural areas just pull over and wait for the storm to pass; tyres that work reasonably well on hot smooth tarmac offer minimal grip when it's cooler and wet.
I don't know if tyres sold in Greece normally use different compound to the UK but given the different temperature ranges it wouldn't surprise me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts