Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I wanted to share my impressions on Rica ECU tuning of my T3 MY2016 (B4154T4).
I flashed my Volvo mid-February and have driven since then about 6k kms most of these on highways. The tune supposedly gave me +38hp and +40Nm however I have not verified yet on a dyno.

The car is certainly faster and I have noted a significant accelaration change at 80 to 120 km/h range which is handy for safe overtaking. Taking some measures with the OBD, the turbo pressure is now building up to 1.5 bar (1 bar was max before).
Consumption-wise, numbers are lower if I'm driving on low revs but not that significant. Of course the engine gets hungrier for petrol when the turbo spools so in "heavy right foot" mode consumption is up by almost 2 lt/100km.

Problems: I wish there were none but an issue has come up right after flashing the ECU. Sometimes when I floor the gas I get the infamous "Decreased Performance" and turtle icon warning on the dash. I have communicated with Rica and they have offered no solution as they state they have never faced such issue before. When the warning comes up the car loses power for half a second and then goes back to normal mode and continues to accelerate. There are no fault codes on the memory.
As I try to replicate the problem, I have 2 possible reasons in my mind. Either there is knocking detected so power is decreased instantaneously or the ECU is asking the automatic gearbox to shift down at a prohibited rev-range.
I really don't know how I could troubleshoot further and Rica is insisting that it is a mechanical issue irrelevant to the tune (turbo valve, turbo leak etc). I would really appreciate your suggestions on what to look.
Good thing is the issue does not come up very frequently (once or twice per month) and since the performance is regained immediately and there are no fault codes it is not very alarming to me. I will have the dealer check with vida on the next yearly maintenance.

All in all I enjoy the tune and driving my Volvo!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi i am driving a T4 tuned and recognize this thing a bit.

When i floor it, firsthalf second power is gone and pick ups quickly after it.

I also installed a KxN airfilter and the air mass sensor could be the problem.My T4 went from 173 bhp to 193bhp, from 240 Nm to 330 Nm, tested on rolls.

Consumption varies between 7.5 and 11.5 pending foot of driver, only issue is gear swithcing from 1 to 2 which is now a bit noticeable as the software on mine seems to push the turbo pressure up very rapidly immediatly.

0-100 is 7 secs but the fun is once driving, 60-180 is very fast.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man thanks for the feedback! It seems that the filter is indeed generating the problem. I have a K&N filter as well installed. One month earlier I cleaned the filter with the K&N cleaning kit and since then the "decreased performance" warning has gone! I will be traveling a lot the next days and I will keep an eye on it but seems reasonable to be the filter.

Do you get the turtle warning too when you floor it? Are you tuned by Rica too? Isn't the T4 already 190hp? (B4204T19)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts