Volvo V40 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
For what I find out, the 1.5 and the 2.0 petrol engines are almost the same thing, they wanted to reduce CO2 emissions and built a 1.5 turbo both 152hp. This engine with a ecu tune I can get 180cv and 290nm very tempting...

·
Registered
121 Posts
For what I find out, the 1.5 and the 2.0 petrol engines are almost the same thing, they wanted to reduce CO2 emissions and built a 1.5 turbo both 152hp. This engine with a ecu tune I can get 180cv and 290nm very tempting...
Yep. From Wiki:

"The 1.5 petrol VEA is a de stroked version of the 2.0 petrol VEA, with matching bores of 82.0mm, but the 1.5 having a stroke of 70.9mm compared to the 2.0 stroke of 93.2mm".

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I would think it is that new 8-gear Aisin as I have in my MY2016 T5.
It's a 6 gear auto. That I know for sure. The reason I was trying to know specifically the reference of the gearbox is to search how much torque it can handle not losing reliability.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yep. From Wiki:

"The 1.5 petrol VEA is a de stroked version of the 2.0 petrol VEA, with matching bores of 82.0mm, but the 1.5 having a stroke of 70.9mm compared to the 2.0 stroke of 93.2mm".
With this I got the idea that it can handle the 180hp with no problems,
Will see how it goes and if I want a little more power I ll go for those 180hp and 280nm.
The main user of the car will be my wife. That's up to here, I believe she will want more ?

·
Registered
121 Posts
With this I got the idea that it can handle the 180hp with no problems,
Will see how it goes and if I want a little more power I ll go for those 180hp and 280nm.
The main user of the car will be my wife. That's up to here, I believe she will want more ?
Really? My wife refuses to drive our T5 as "it is too powerful for me". So she got VW Polo 1.4 TDI 55 kW :LOL:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Really? My wife refuses to drive our T5 as "it is too powerful for me". So she got VW Polo 1.4 TDI 55 kW :LOL:
3 year ago I had a Renault Megane 1.5dci (106hp) but with ecu tune and some hardware in the dyno (dynodinamics) was with 158hp never drove a 1.5dci like that one, that car was possessed ? ?
She loved to drive the car.
With the costume exhaust and when u got by the 2.2rpm and change gear he made such a loud decompression of the turbo, how she loved that sound... And lets not talk of speed because she's always pedal to the metal ?
I'm like that with my motorcycle...
but with the car I like the fact that he as to be responsive but usually soft driving ?

·
Registered
121 Posts
3 year ago I had a Renault Megane 1.5dci (106hp) but with ecu tune and some hardware in the dyno (dynodinamics) was with 158hp never drove a 1.5dci like that one, that car was possessed ? ?
She loved to drive the car.
With the costume exhaust and when u got by the 2.2rpm and change gear he made such a loud decompression of the turbo, how she loved that sound... And lets not talk of speed because she's always pedal to the metal ?
I'm like that with my motorcycle...
but with the car I like the fact that he as to be responsive but usually soft driving ?
Diesels are great with the torque. My previous V40 D2 was nothing special on the paper but in reality it was not slow at all. Almost 120 hp and 270 Nm not bad. Plus the engine was lighter 1.6. So I can imagine that Megane o_O

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Diesels are great with the torque. My previous V40 D2 was nothing special on the paper but in reality it was not slow at all. Almost 120 hp and 270 Nm not bad. Plus the engine was lighter 1.6. So I can imagine that Megane o_O
It was basicly insane ?
It was so hard for me to let that car go... Well but now here I am being a owner of a Volvo, let's see what I have to say for the next few weeks around here.
For you experience around here.
Is there anyone who had problems with FAP on petrol engines?

·
Registered
300 Posts
When you do get it, make sure you put a full tank of (I'm not sure what petrol stations you have where you are (Potugal?)) high RON fuel 97-99 (Volvo recommends 95-98RON). At least usually the high RON fuels also have very good cleaning properties. My experience is that the higher RON fuel does give more fuel economy, but as the extra costs here in UK is about 10p a litre more, it was not cheaper. Had it been 4-5p more, it would work out cheaper. I'm not sure if you were picking up a brand new one, or a second hand one, but fuel economy is very poor in the first 3000km. After it gets noticeably better.

·
Registered
300 Posts
My kia rio had 4 hankook changed them last year with 6 years and 80k still had 3mm but with the age I chose to replace them with 4 goodyear efficientgrip performance

Those hankook never had tyres that lasted this long
I'm sure the Volvo V40 can eat them in less than 25k kms. Saying that if I remember correctly, someone with had Pirellis (maybe P7) on their V40s and they lasted quite long.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes, that's a good advice. I never get anything less than 98 RON for my V40. Then the engine is even smoother and fuel economy better. Worth the higher price of the fuel.

·
Registered
800 Posts
When I first bought my V40 2.0ltr 152bhp new from the dealer I asked if Polestar were bringing out an upgrade for the engine, I was told yes by the sales guy, unfortunately 4 years on and Polestar have still not brought out this upgrade, and I cant see them ever bringing anything out for this engine !

It's a shame they don't because in my opinion 2.0ltr VEA is as flat as a witches titty.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I wonder why they didn't when they did for the T5?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
OK people, I've been using this little demon for a month now and I'm in love with this car, best car I ever had until now.
I'm so glad I chose the v40 t3 ?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just remember the Sport Setting. Just moving the lever to the left engages Sport (you don't have to move it forwards and backwards which manually selects the gears). When you move it to the left it changes the mapping of the throttle and gears. I use it when joining a motorway and without moving the throttle the car changes gear and accelerates.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Little disappointed with the 2.0 T3 VEA (152bhp) engine, no punch at all to it.
When I ordered the car I was told by sales guy that Polestar were bringing out an upgrade, so I thought if the car needed a bit of perking up I would opt for the upgrade, however 4 years on and Polestar have no intention of bring out the upgrade, very disappointed.
I've also read that aftermarket upgrades/chipping can be expensive for this particular engine due to some sort of software "lock" on the engine, whatever that means ???
If I'm honest, I know very little about these sort of things, hence hoping that Polestar, via my Volvo dealership could of carried out the upgrade, if it had been available.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The "lock" on the VEA ECU is already known and took only 6 seconds to unlock on mine. Only the latest versions can not be unlocked yet.
This is lock prevents reading/writing the ECU from the OBD port. Once this lock is 'cracked', the OBD port can be used to read and write the ECU. To execute this unlock, the ECU has be removed from the car, though it doesn't has to be opened. This takes some extra time and thus some extra cost. Anyhow for around 500-600 euros a very decent tuning can be done here in Belgium.
For sure it is possible on a 2016 VEA engine as mine is a 2017 model.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts