Volvo V40 Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Or you can also try BSR to do it yourself. It doesn't look that complicated, but the price is higher (900-1000 euros). I know there was some guy from Singapore (I think) in this forum who succesfully did this.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Still a bit annoyed that the 1.5 152PS T3 Geartronic is not very explosive off the lights (maybe mine has GPF filter?). Just before we had to lockdown yesterday, lots of people on the roads were hurrying back. It was a 3 lane road with 50mph, at the 2-3 red lights, was in line with a BMW 118i (previous gen), and Audi A3 150PS one (dual left exhaust), and later a Honda Jazz. Now when the lights went green over few traffic lights, BMW, Audi and myself had the same idea (foot flat) and guess what? V40 left behind in the first 0-30mph, and closing gap on BMW, but was never gonna catch the Audi (maybe it was quattro). Maybe to 60-70mph, it can go ahead of BMW. Even the Honda Jazz left me 0-20mph, before going past maybe at 40mph. Anyway, rant over...stay safe!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have already accepted the fact that V40 is not a good drag race car. I take it that it was not the aim when Volvo designed the engine/gearbox coupling. With T5 FWD I cannot floor it from the stand point because it is not able to transfer all the power to the road (not even on 235/35 R19 tyres) and probably that Audi would beat me in the lower speeds as my wheels are only spinning with the car not moving :LOL: I rather tend to think that Volvo petrol engines are poor in low range and great in the mid-high range. My experience with T3 (Ford and VEA) was also pleasant.

·
Registered
149 Posts
On wet roads I get the wheels spinning (and the orange icon flashing) till about 100 km/h, and that is when I have to be extra careful :LOL: But don't get me wrong I love my T5, that power is addictive :cool: I have never driven T4 though.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Don't get me wrong, once the T3 is rolling at 10-20mph, foot flat, and it's on 2nd gear geartronic, u will be pushed into your seat but from standing start, nothing much happens. I used to have a 2.0TDI 150PS Seat Leon DSG prior. That one was explosive from standstill, even in 2nd gear from near standstill like your T5, lighting up the tyres and TC (for me entering a slip road to highway in the wet). Maybe it's the 320Nm on the TDI, I think T4 is like 300Nm vs T3's 250Nm

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes, I would suspect the torque is the culprit. I had D2 before which had 270 N.m and I had to be careful with the throttle from standstill only on wet roads. It was surprisingly pulling well upto cca. 60 mph. In higher speeds it was bland and nothing exciting though.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I agree that the power is addictive... My T4 has 374Nm and 220 HP. Would like to compare with a T5 once...:)
I have drive a D2 once (the 1.6 Ford) and that was soooo slow.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ok yauwera, we can go for a drag race when that situation with coronavirus is over. In May I go for Polestar upgrade, so 253 hp / 400 Nm :cool:

·
Registered
665 Posts
In May I go for Polestar upgrade, so 253 hp / 400 Nm :cool:
T5 with Polestar is very nice and quick, but surprisingly docile. The power really comes in mid-range so no kicks in the back.
Almost, but not quite, totally unlike my normally-aspirated 4.2 V8....

·
Registered
149 Posts
T5 with Polestar is very nice and quick, but surprisingly docile. The power really comes in mid-range so no kicks in the back.
Almost, but not quite, totally unlike my normally-aspirated 4.2 V8....
Actually that is what I like about T5, that it is kind of docile. A lot of power available when needed but also great for every day use and tame and relaxed when required.

·
Registered
357 Posts
As these days it's it's quiet everywhere, but had to get my windscreen replaced today, so the carpark where I dropped the car off was completely empty. Not a single car in a 100+ carpark. I tried that 'launch' method for Geartronic, push to sport, left foot hard on brake, build revs, and let go brakes. It's not slow anymore like I previously grumbled about. It flies (eg..I was sitting upright, and was pushed into my seat when brakes released) of the line, as much as a T3 can fly off the line. I only build revs to about 2k. I tried about 3k, but probably the brakes was making some noise trying to hold the car, didnt dare let go brakes. Days are gone of smaller cars leaving me behind in the first few seconds. Previously, I would just let go brake with right foot, press on accelerator hard, wait a bit for it to move, then wait for other cars to shoot past me, then wait for turbo to kick in, then only it goes some...

·
Registered
357 Posts
I will have a look again next time I try, I have the analogue dials that doesn't actually show the 3. I might have pressed the gas before I fully pressed the brakes, and then the strange sound happened. Probably nothing to do with it but is yours the GPF version? Eg..the exaust tips never gets sooty?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yes indeed, if you don't press the brakes hard enough, you get this 'cracking' sound and the car will move a little bit.
GPF=Gasoline Particulate Filter: I don't have it, and yes the exhaust tips became dirty. But I did paint them black last year, so you don't see the soot anymore. :) (there is another topic in this forum on that)

41 - 59 of 59 Posts