Volvo V40 Forums banner

T3 vs D3

907K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  OldEngineer 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

Going to buy a new V40 but still dont know whether to go Diesel or Gasoline.

I'm currently doing 1.400km a month, 400 in the city, and 1.000 on motorway.

The D3 manual is worth 28.700€, while the T3 auto is 25.400€.

I was going for the D3 but lately I've read a lot of posts about DPF problems on the Diesel engines...

Any thoughts to help me decide? ?
Thanks in advanve!

#2 ·
Hello & welcome ### (please edit your user to a 'friendly' name we can easily call you)

Having just seen Royston's post on the T3 auto MPG I would say D3 all day long.

According to his post my manual D4 does twice the MPG of the Auto T3 so would think the D3 will do more of the same.

Fuel is a big part of car ownership and despite doing 15k miles pa going to the garage once every 3 weeks still feels really good.

#4 ·
I have had my D3 for a few days now, it came with 49K miles on the clock and so far I'm getting around 36mpg however this is from a bunch of very short trips and a couple of 10 mile runs. I'm driving the 200 miles down to London this week so am looking forward to seeing how she performs on a long run!

#5 ·
If you are driving around the NSL, low traffic, predominately on Cruise control. I would guess you may see high 50s low 60s mpg. I did a 200 mile round trip last weekend, mix of 40-70mph roads. On my petrol 2018 T3 Auto (1.5) I got high 40s, low 50s mpg. Car only has 4k miles on the clock.

#13 ·
On a recent visit to my local Volvo dealership to have my V40 serviced I got talking to the sales guy who sold it to me from new, he said the enquiries & sales for diesels has been almost non existent at this dealership for months, but there's been a very noticeable increase in petrol engine sales.

#14 ·
It's a shame Volvo's own petrol engines are nowhere as efficient as say VAG or other European petrol engines with cylinder shutdown...I mean VAG's 1.4/1.5 TSI with cylinder shutdown can deliver almost near diesel like economy.

#16 ·
The manufacturer that gets the prize for 'most out of touch' is Jaguar. Having seen what's happened to the diesel reputation they are still rabbits in headlights. The Sportwagon was never available as petrol and they are still promoting diesel. Within the last year they have launched their new Ingenium Diesel and promoted it with statements that it is the best diesel in Europe. Then they put out statements saying business is dire because of the 'diesel problem'. It hadn't occurred to them to go quiet on diesel and start promoting petrol (or batteries if they had secured a decent supply)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.