Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Going to buy a new V40 but still dont know whether to go Diesel or Gasoline.

I'm currently doing 1.400km a month, 400 in the city, and 1.000 on motorway.

The D3 manual is worth 28.700€, while the T3 auto is 25.400€.

I was going for the D3 but lately I've read a lot of posts about DPF problems on the Diesel engines...

Any thoughts to help me decide? 🙂
Thanks in advanve!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hello & welcome ### (please edit your user to a 'friendly' name we can easily call you)

Having just seen Royston's post on the T3 auto MPG I would say D3 all day long.

According to his post my manual D4 does twice the MPG of the Auto T3 so would think the D3 will do more of the same.

Fuel is a big part of car ownership and despite doing 15k miles pa going to the garage once every 3 weeks still feels really good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My D3 auto is great, plenty of speed when needed - but the MPG is nothing like the official figures. Around 49mpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have had my D3 for a few days now, it came with 49K miles on the clock and so far I'm getting around 36mpg however this is from a bunch of very short trips and a couple of 10 mile runs. I'm driving the 200 miles down to London this week so am looking forward to seeing how she performs on a long run!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have had my D3 for a few days now, it came with 49K miles on the clock and so far I'm getting around 36mpg however this is from a bunch of very short trips and a couple of 10 mile runs. I'm driving the 200 miles down to London this week so am looking forward to seeing how she performs on a long run!
If you are driving around the NSL, low traffic, predominately on Cruise control. I would guess you may see high 50s low 60s mpg. I did a 200 mile round trip last weekend, mix of 40-70mph roads. On my petrol 2018 T3 Auto (1.5) I got high 40s, low 50s mpg. Car only has 4k miles on the clock.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you are driving around the NSL, low traffic, predominately on Cruise control. I would guess you may see high 50s low 60s mpg. I did a 200 mile round trip last weekend, mix of 40-70mph roads. On my petrol 2018 T3 Auto (1.5) I got high 40s, low 50s mpg. Car only has 4k miles on the clock.
I'll be very happy with that return. When I first got my D2 (RIP) earlier this year I enjoyed bumping up the speed a little but soon noticed that the increased fuel consumption negated any time savings from driving at a higher speed (others may value time over ££!); I'm content now to cruise at about 65mph. Am looking forward to using adaptive cruise which I have on the D3 also.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'll be very happy with that return. When I first got my D2 (RIP) earlier this year I enjoyed bumping up the speed a little but soon noticed that the increased fuel consumption negated any time savings from driving at a higher speed (others may value time over ££!); I'm content now to cruise at about 65mph. Am looking forward to using adaptive cruise which I have on the D3 also.
When I had my 2.0TDI (diesel) Seat Leon, I used to set the CC on ~ 75mph. It would return around 55-57mpg on a run. I then had a 1.0TSI (petrol), doing the same speeds would return me 48-50mpg, but dropping it down to 67-70mph would get me about 55-57mpg. I might try 65mph next time on the V40 T3 and see what I get. Had I set the CC on my diesel Leon 67-70mph, perhaps may get 60-63mpg, which is figures you might be looking forward too on the D3!

·
Registered
36 Posts
When I had my 2.0TDI (diesel) Seat Leon, I used to set the CC on ~ 75mph. It would return around 55-57mpg on a run. I then had a 1.0TSI (petrol), doing the same speeds would return me 48-50mpg, but dropping it down to 67-70mph would get me about 55-57mpg. I might try 65mph next time on the V40 T3 and see what I get. Had I set the CC on my diesel Leon 67-70mph, perhaps may get 60-63mpg, which is figures you might be looking forward too on the D3!
Bang on, got just over 61MPG on the run down to London, adaptive cruise set to 70MPH pretty much all the way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
the previous owner of mine must have spent its days driving around town. reset the mpg computer and am averaging 60mpg now with my motorway driving... very happy first two weeks.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Bang on, got just over 61MPG on the run down to London, adaptive cruise set to 70MPH pretty much all the way.
If you need to fill the car up for the return leg...do me a favour...fill it up with Shell Vpower NItro Plus Diesel or Esso Supreme (yes it's more expensive), see if you can get 63-65 mpg with the cruise set at 70mph. I would tell you the story of my former flatmate with supermarket diesel, and then Shell Vpower, but I will let you see what happens :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you need to fill the car up for the return leg...do me a favour...fill it up with Shell Vpower NItro Plus Diesel or Esso Supreme (yes it's more expensive), see if you can get 63-65 mpg with the cruise set at 70mph. I would tell you the story of my former flatmate with supermarket diesel, and then Shell Vpower, but I will let you see what happens :)
It’s actually got BP Ultimate in now, along with a bottle of Archoil D-Max; just got the car last week so giving it some good stuff to clear the engine out as who knows how the last owner treated it. Will be interesting to see how / if it improves.

·
Registered
216 Posts
It’s actually got BP Ultimate in now, along with a bottle of Archoil D-Max; just got the car last week so giving it some good stuff to clear the engine out as who knows how the last owner treated it. Will be interesting to see how / if it improves.
Yea a couple tanks of one of the big fuel company's (non supermarket) finest should clean up stuff nicely. Had a flatmate who had a Clio 1.5Dci, does 'same' journies everyday to and from work. About 40 miles each day. Tank of supermarket diesel would last 9 days. Reluctantly gave in to my non-stop badgering of trying Shell/Esso's finest. 1st tank of the good stuff lasted 10 days, 2nd tank, almost lasted 11 days. Now it exclusively uses the best diesel, as it gave more miles than the extra cost.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
5 Participants
KXL
Volvo V40 Forums
If you've ever wondered what modifications or upgrades you can do to a Volvo V40, this is the right owners club for you.
Full Forum Listing