Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it is coming out or does the current T5R with 187kw (not sure what this is in bhp) already effectively have the previous Polestar upgrade for this engine. I know Heico have one but you have to send your ECU to them.

Another other alternatives down under?

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
AFAIK there is no Polestar coming out for the T5. When I was at my dealership last week, we got chatting about Polestar, and even they say Polestar should make all their stuff more freely available, give it to people who want to upgrade their cars, and I agree 100%.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Agree, why cant we get a Polster upgrade on the T5-R, would love the extra power
Is it because Australia is a hot and dry country? Increasing the power may put the car outside the safe margin that Volvo is comfortable with.

I'm sure they know of the engine's potential.. they just want to play it safe.

I've contacted Heico regarding one of their tunes. They are happy to sell it to me and have advised me that any Volvo dealer in Sydney should be able to install it with no issues. But Heico do not have any arrangements with Volvo Australia which would probably mean voiding the warranty.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Yip, you loose your warranty when going Heico, unless your don't worry about things like that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
1 week in and I want more than 187kw - the new Golf R cranks 221kw, I think it will get detuned down to 200kw but it will get to 0-100 in under 5 secs. I just couldnt fork out 55-60k for such an ugly looking car.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Here's the response I received from Polestar.

To be able to optimise your Volvo there are several aspects that has to be taken into consideration;

1. Technical possibilities to be able to increase performance
2. Certified fuel consumption unaffected
3. Certified co2-levels unaffected
4. All changes should be within the Volvo Original warranty

Unfortunately we cannot optimise the V40 T5 engine without affecting these parameters and therefore no software is available.

Kind Regards
Polestar

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm not surprised with this response from Polestar. To me its always been too much of a coincidence that the power & torque numbers for the T5 engine in the V40 almost exactly matched the Polestar tune of the T5 in my C30. To me I've always assumed that the T5 engine in the V40 already has the Polestar tune as standard. And you can't optimise something twice.

Tony

·
Registered
15 Posts
Remap T5

Hi there

I have a CC T5 AWD , and run over 71.000 km and with remap Off my
Ecu made from rica , http://www.rica.nl

It Works perfect and more power , better fuel , and faster top speed over
250 and from 0-100 in 6 sec

I have a box so i Can remove and make it std . When service

Regards

Erik, Denmark

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi there

I have a CC T5 AWD , and run over 71.000 km and with remap Off my
Ecu made from rica , http://www.rica.nl

It Works perfect and more power , better fuel , and faster top speed over
250 and from 0-100 in 6 sec

I have a box so i Can remove and make it std . When service

Regards

Erik, Denmark

cool, thanks for info....finally available option to upgrade 2.0 T5 213hp standard. unfortunately, here in malaysia we only get ron95 and ron97 petrol. not much of effect i guess.:(:(:(.

btw, after rica upgrade, does volvo still recognize the warranty???

·
Registered
175 Posts
If there was a warranty supported Polestar upgrade for the T5, I'd definitely go for it. It's not that the T5 is too slow, but a little more would be nice!

Reactions: Erik Sarup

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
My personal feeling, Volvo should sell the standard T5 as is, then bring out a 4 wheel version, as the CC already has one, badge it R-Design Polestar, and let it compete with the Golf R

·
Registered
225 Posts
Bob, I certainly agree with you as to why Volvo have not brought out a T5 AWD model for the standard V40. Why the AWD is limited to only the V40 CC T5 variant is a mystery. I'd have thought that with all the engineering done for the V40 CC T5 AWD it would be a simple matter to also apply the AWD drivetrain to the standard V40 T5.

Tony

·
Registered
68 Posts
so does anyone know about the average price of the polestar upgrade?

Interested in doing it in Sydney, Australia

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.