Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone. I have a v40 2016 with analog display and i would like to change with the tft one. I found on ebay some of them used. If i buy one and i replace it by myself probably it won t works, but If i go to a volvo dealer can they activate it with vida even if it is used? Thank you.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I don't think it is possible from reading some of the other posts. Very simply the digital bits talk to your onboard computer and if the serial numbers don't match up they don't work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You can replace it with the tft one, but I don't think the dealer will activate yours.
As far as I know you can use vdash to activate it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You should ask for quote from a dealership. Won't be the cheapest but you can be sure all will be fine.

·
Registered
176 Posts
VDash can do it. I replaced the analogue DIM on my 2017 V40 with a TFT DIM. Got the DIM from a salvage company on eBay, from a car exactly the same age as mine and with less than 3K on the clock, although VDash saves and writes your current mileage into the new DIM when you swap them over. Mine works perfectly, no issues at all.

The only requirement is that you need a cluster from a car with the same type of transmission as yours, i.e. manual or automatic, so that you have the correct gear change display. It doesn't matter if it's from a diesel and your car is petrol, or vice versa.

I've heard that Volvo dealer's won't program secondhand clusters for customers, and last time I looked, it was just short of £1K for a new DIM and programming at a dealer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah man you are great...i got the same situation that you are describe me Also about dealers and new cluster.... so if you are telling me these stuff i will try....just few questions. The procedure is difficult? Which battery car charger did you use to decode cem ? Do i have to cut cables or stuff like that or is enough to backup my old dim swap cluster and install my backup over a used dim? Thank you very much for your answer

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
VDash can do it. I replaced the analogue DIM on my 2017 V40 with a TFT DIM. Got the DIM from a salvage company on eBay, from a car exactly the same age as mine and with less than 3K on the clock, although VDash saves and writes your current mileage into the new DIM when you swap them over. Mine works perfectly, no issues at all.

The only requirement is that you need a cluster from a car with the same type of transmission as yours, i.e. manual or automatic, so that you have the correct gear change display. It doesn't matter if it's from a diesel and your car is petrol, or vice versa.

I've heard that Volvo dealer's won't program secondhand clusters for customers, and last time I looked, it was just short of £1K for a new DIM and programming at a dealer.
If i use one for 1.6d is the same for 2.0 ?cause on volvo site there is a different part number for my car despite the one that i found on ebay

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yeah man you are great...i got the same situation that you are describe me Also about dealers and new cluster.... so if you are telling me these stuff i will try....just few questions. The procedure is difficult? Which battery car charger did you use to decode cem ? Do i have to cut cables or stuff like that or is enough to backup my old dim swap cluster and install my backup over a used dim? Thank you very much for your answer
If i use one for 1.6d is the same for 2.0 ?cause on volvo site there is a different part number for my car despite the one that i found on ebay
There is an automated wizard in VDash for TFT replacement. It first backs up your original DIM software and obtains the necessary data that needs to be written back to the new DIM, then prompts you when to swap them over and writes the new software.

Newer cars, including your 2016, are just plug and play. The additional wiring is only needed on older vehicles which have the TFT DIM running on a different bus.

The DIM part numbers don't matter. Manual or auto version DIMs are the important point as the LED gearchange display is different.

I use a battery support charger to maintain voltage as I happen to have one anyway, but any charger that can maintain 10A current should be fine. Actually the draw on mine was around 6A throughout the process, but VDash recommend a 10A charger.

Worth having a read through these threads. The DIM retrofit thread is very long, but every conceivable question you can think of has been answered in there somewhere!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I found this on ebay Originale Volvo V40 Diesel Manuale 2012-2018 Tachimetro Speedo Gruppo 31376803 | eBay, mine is a 2.0 2016 this one is from a 1.6 2012.... and it is an r design cluster. Will it fit? Then the last question... r design cluster has only r design theme or all themes from volvo? Thank you mate
I believe it should, but you might want to have a read through the TFT retrofit thread in the link I posted to be sure. Don't worry about the themes, as you can install and change themes, startup graphics and ETM skins through VDash whenever you like, included in the cost of the retrofit. R Design just has a blue performance theme instead of red and a different startup graphic, but the elegance and eco themes are the same.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It fluctuates. Once you've cracked the CEM PIN, you can select options and see the prices. I paid 120 euros about a year ago.

·
Registered
V40 MY13
41 Posts
in Poland there is one place were you can retrofit TFT
cost: ~500-600 euros
you can review their FB profile with many other modifications:
they are magican in volvo stuff :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It fluctuates. Once you've cracked the CEM PIN, you can select options and see the prices. I paid 120 euros about a year ago.
Did you remove the horne fuse? If yes which one is it?? And why do i have to remove it?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Did you remove the horne fuse? If yes which one is it?? And why do i have to remove it?
No I didn't. I vaguely recall something about a suggestion to remove it.

Entering "Vdash TFT retrofit horn fuse" into Google finds the relevant page from the thread I suggested you should read. Apparently on some cars the horn might sound periodically after the DIM has been swapped until the new software has been uploaded. It didn't on mine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No I didn't. I vaguely recall something about a suggestion to remove it.

Entering "Vdash TFT retrofit horn fuse" into Google finds the relevant page from the thread I suggested you should read. Apparently on some cars the horn might sound periodically after the DIM has been swapped until the new software has been uploaded. It didn't on mine.
Thank you very much my friend.
I only have a last question then i will buy everything i need.
After the retrofit can i choose the italian language on the dim? Cause i watch a retrofit video on YouTube and when the guy selct the Option "choose language from pid" or something like that i did not spot the italian language.
Thank you as always.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thank you very much my friend.
I only have a last question then i will buy everything i need.
After the retrofit can i choose the italian language on the dim? Cause i watch a retrofit video on YouTube and when the guy selct the Option "choose language from pid" or something like that i did not spot the italian language.
Thank you as always.
Vdash have translations available in many languages (the people who formed the company started by creating language translations for Volvo) but I'm not sure if you have to pay for them separately.

After you have unlocked the PIN for the CEM, you can browse the menus for available software updates and applications whilst Vdash is connected to the car. You have to be connected whilst browsing to be able to see what applications are available for your car. Paying for the TFT retrofit software gives access to some other functions such as the DIM and ETM graphics skins, but I don't know if language selection is also included. Once you have paid for a function, you can access and change it any time you want to.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts