Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my V40 D2 SE (UK 2014MY), since October and the TFT has always looked the same whether it's been day or night (although it does tend to dim slightly when it's really bright but still was all legible).

However, in the past few days days, the display has become VERY dim, to the point that you can only just about read the speedometer display at all in daylight - and the footwell courtesy lights are very very dim too, as is the illuminated gear knob, whether it's bright outside or at night - the backlight to the buttons and controls on the floating centre console don't seem to be lit either and the radio information display is somewhat dim too - so all must be linked somehow? .. This has only just started to happen in that past couple of days. I'll get in and it'll be fine. I'll stop the car, go shopping, pop somewhere, get back in and it'll be dim again. Very sporadic and I can't find any reason for it unless theres a sensor or something playing up (although no idea where it is to check for dirt, dust etc).

I've read others comments on how to control the brightness of the display, but I can't find any reference on how to do this in the manual and not sure if this would solve my problem ?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I've had my V40 D2 SE (UK 2014MY), since October and the TFT has always looked the same whether it's been day or night (although it does tend to dim slightly when it's really bright but still was all legible).

However, in the past few days days, the display has become VERY dim, to the point that you can only just about read the speedometer display at all in daylight - and the footwell courtesy lights are very very dim too, as is the illuminated gear knob, whether it's bright outside or at night - the backlight to the buttons and controls on the floating centre console don't seem to be lit either and the radio information display is somewhat dim too - so all must be linked somehow? .. This has only just started to happen in that past couple of days. I'll get in and it'll be fine. I'll stop the car, go shopping, pop somewhere, get back in and it'll be dim again. Very sporadic and I can't find any reason for it unless theres a sensor or something playing up (although no idea where it is to check for dirt, dust etc).

I've read others comments on how to control the brightness of the display, but I can't find any reference on how to do this in the manual and not sure if this would solve my problem ?
I think it sounds like the dimmer resistor may be faulty. On the little panel above your right knee (where the light controls are) there is a little wheel that adjusts the brightness of the TFT and the mid console. It does not affect wheel well lighting or the mood lighting. Play around with this wheel, if it has no effect at all, it is probably faulty. On mine I can make it really bright, down to barely visible at all.

·
Registered
382 Posts
There is a separate setting for 'Footwell' lighting brightness in the control panel. Maybe the car has 'reset' to the lowest setting.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it sounds like the dimmer resistor may be faulty. On the little panel above your right knee (where the light controls are) there is a little wheel that adjusts the brightness of the TFT and the mid console. It does not affect wheel well lighting or the mood lighting. Play around with this wheel, if it has no effect at all, it is probably faulty. On mine I can make it really bright, down to barely visible at all.
I wasn't aware of that wheel! :) I've just been out and right now, that wheel is on the lowest setting, but the display is bright (as it normally seems to be) so it hasn't done its 'gone dim for no reason' thing just. But, I've turned the wheel to the top highest setting and seems to have had no effect at all. I will have a look again later when it's dark and if it's switched to the lower dimmed night setting and see if it all looks very dim then - I'll turned that wheel to the top. Ironically, thinking about it, this only all started after I've vacuumed and dusted the car inside, so its entirely possible that I've moved that wheel during this cleaning without realising! (Would this wheel also affect the brightness of the illuminated gear knob?)

If that has no effect and it continues to behave in the odd way it's started too, I guess it's something electronic gone a bit wrong and it's a trip to the dealer. :confused:

There is a separate setting for 'Footwell' lighting brightness in the control panel. Maybe the car has 'reset' to the lowest setting.
I've just checked that in the MyCar Menus and the footwell lighting setting is showing as LOW, now I've never messed with that setting so not sure what it was on by default, but as it's seems less bright than it was, I've turned it up to high and I'll see how i get on with that!

Thank you both!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to report back! I've been out to the car now that it's gone dark and sure enough, I got in and the display was all dark and dim again .. so started her up, and dialled the wheel and as soon as started moving it upwards the display became brighter again so I'd clearly accidentally moved that when I was dusting the other day without knowing what it did!

Curiously though, moving that wheel DOES change the brightness of ALL the interior lights and not just the TFT displays, from the ambient lighting by the courtesy lights, the footwell brightness, the gear knob, the backlights to the switches in the door panels and floating console etc. (Least it does in mine!)

So I can sleep tonight knowing that something hasn't broken and its something I am able to control now that I am aware of it, so I am very thankful to you for putting my mind at rest :) Furthermore, now I know what that wheel does (as genuinely had no idea you could control the brightness like that for the display), I can turn it down at night a little as it was a bit distracting on unlit roads, so a little bit of serendipity in the whole affair :)

·
Registered
945 Posts
No the dimmer wheel only work/alters the brightness of the display at/in night setting, if it is daylight/bright outside the display should be bright no matter what you do with the wheel.

It sounds like your light sensors that decide if your display etc should be in bright day mode or dimmer night mode is faulty.

·
Registered
96 Posts
In my MY14 car, there seems to be a sensor which can set the dashboard dimmer to on, even during daylight hours if the weather goes overcast or you go into a shaded area (tree lined road for example) even though the dipped headlights may not have been activated.

However, the second this kicks in you can use the dimmer wheel to alter the brightness to the required level.
As has been correctly diagnosed in later posts on this thread.... The dimmer DOES affect the TFT and footwell/ambient lighting.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Not the best thing though when you are driving along and your dash just dim/disappears so you then have to try and reach down to find that little wheel hidden from view by the steering wheel to turn it upas you are approaching traffic lights/driving past a school...not the safest idea.....

Then later that da,i.e. night you get in the car and are dazzeled by the super bright dash that will not dim until you remember you altered the dimmer, and now you have to mess around trying to adjust it to the right setting.

i have driven loads of cars with digital dashes and never had one that has this issue, granted others have been more basic but atleast they user friendly.

·
Registered
96 Posts
you then have to try and reach down to find that little wheel hidden from view by the steering wheel to turn it upas you are approaching traffic lights/driving past a school...not the safest idea.....
I think that is more of a driver decision than a system fault. If you really feel your dashboard is so important that is has to be changed at a dangerous time, then I would question what you think is so important on the dash.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I wasn't aware that the wheel also changed the brightness of the footwell and ambient lights. Must give that a try.
I think I prefer to be in control of all these things and the auto dimming in the daytime just annoys me.
Another illogical point whilst we are discussing lights is that when the headlights are on Auto there is no indication on the dash - only a light on the switch which you can only see if you have a neck like a giraffe yet the Auto Wipers has a notification icon on the dash! As does the Speed Limiter. Why not the Auto Lights Volvo?????

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
My TFT screen switches perfectly, we have very bright sun here in SA, and I see mine perfectly in the day, and at night it dims nicely.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I think that is more of a driver decision than a system fault. If you really feel your dashboard is so important that is has to be changed at a dangerous time, then I would question what you think is so important on the dash.
Let me think, speedo, temp, revs, hand break warning, oil pressure warning, low break fluid warning, low break pad warning, abs warning, traction control warning, if it was needed why would we have them?

It is the fact it changes for no apparent reason and as I have my night dash quite dim ,it in effect disappears in daylight conditions.

The book suggests the sensitivity I.e. how dark it needs to be before it dims can be adjusted but no one seems to be able to do it:huh:

·
Registered
96 Posts
With regards the lights on icon... I don't give a stuff whether auto lights or manual are in use, I'd like an icon to let me know if I'm on dipped main rather than DLR or sidelights. I get a nice blue icon in the TFT when my main beam is on... Why not a green one for dipped main beam and amber for sidelights?
I agree you need the neck of a giraffe to see what your lights are set to - I leave mine on auto but it would be nice to know if my dipped beams are on somehow.

Also, while we're on about the light switch panel... What muppet designer thought it would be a good idea to put the boot release on that panel?!
Luckily I was stationary wheni accidentally opened the boot instead if putting on my fog lights this morning!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very true that, the lack of a general 'headlights on' icon in the TFT is a strange one. Surely it wouldn't be that difficult to get that sorted in a software update? (Also totally agree with the boot release button, not the best place to have that!)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Also, while we're on about the light switch panel... What muppet designer thought it would be a good idea to put the boot release on that panel?!
Luckily I was stationary wheni accidentally opened the boot instead if putting on my fog lights this morning!!!
+1 :thumbup:

·
Registered
945 Posts
The boot does not open if you are moving, I know have pressed it by accident whilst trying to flash my rear fog at a Chavez behind be with his front fogs on (I hate fog lights worst thing ever invented as no one knows when or even how to use them, i.e. if you can see with your dipped headlights it is not foggy enough to warrant using the fog light,m they should also be set to go out over 15 mph GGRRRRR!!!!!!!)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Yep, the tail gate won't open unless stationary. :D. Blimey, this poor car gets a right hammering. :D

Dennis is right about fog lights. It's actually not that often that you need them. Never used mine in 14 months as I have not seen fog thick enough to warrant their use. It always makes me smile when all the fog lights come on for rain. :D

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Foglights, I assume it is the rear one, as there is no front foglights

·
Registered
96 Posts
I understand that the DLRs go out if the sidelights, dipped or main beam are on.....
yet this evening driving home along the A14, I saw a Volvo V40 (not R Design) with his headlights AND horizontal DLRs on?! How?

I had to use my rear fog lights the other day (early morning, extremely foggy) purely and simply to allow the Chavez who were screaming around at 80mph+ to see me before they rear ended me!

Glad to hear the tailgate wont open if Im moving... reassuring.

That said, I did laugh this morning when I saw an Audi driver fully open his estate tailgate at the traffic lights when he inadvertently pressed his release button.
Funnily enough, although he can open it fully wide from the inside of the car, he had to jump out and run to the back of the car to press the button on the tailgate in order to shut it again. Perhaps they could do with an autoclose inside the cabin as well??? Everyone got a lovely view of his rear load area full of sales and marketing kit (and no, that's NOT a euphemism!)

·
Registered
159 Posts
misha, re DRL's.

It's not easy to find on the Vovo website, but, it appears that there is an answer to being able to have the Daytime Running Lights on. There is a software download, at a price no doubt, that will enable you to have the parking lights,front and rear, number plate light, side marker lights, and the DRL's on. It is under part number 31412889.
I would be interested if you go for this and the costing. I've not had a chance to get to my dealer to ask about this as yet.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.