Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find out how to show km/h on the TFT display. As I understand it both mph and km/h can be displayed but it's not obvious in the owners manual how to do this. I've asked the garage where I bought it from and they can't describe how to do it via email (something to do with the left stalk on the steering column but nothing further than that).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Davidsmith697 said:
I can't find out how to show km/h on the TFT display. As I understand it both mph and km/h can be displayed but it's not obvious in the owners manual how to do this. I've asked the garage where I bought it from and they can't describe how to do it via email (something to do with the left stalk on the steering column but nothing further than that).
On the left hand instrument stalk there is a wheel which if you turn moves the TFT through various detail displays which appear to the lower left and right of the main dial:
- Average MPG + Average Speed
- Current MPG + Distance to empty tank
- Current MPG + Speed in km/h

That is the only way I know to view the km/h.
As the TFT is a soft display it really can't be that hard to allow a My Car setting switch to km/h - can it Volvo???

Other slightly annoying things about the TFT display:
1) Current MPG is duplicated - I guess Volvo couldn't think of anything else to put there.
2) Current MPG maxes out at 50 mpg - this has been raised elsewhere on the forum.(http://www.volvov40club.com/forums/Thread-TFT-Display-Instant-Fuel-Consumption)

Having said all that I still think the TFT is a seriously neat gadget:)

·
446 Posts
Mike said:
Davidsmith697 said:
On the left hand instrument stalk there is a wheel which if you turn moves the TFT through various detail displays which appear to the lower left and right of the main dial:

As the TFT is a soft display it really can't be that hard to allow a My Car setting switch to km/h - can it Volvo???

1) Current MPG is duplicated - I guess Volvo couldn't think of anything else to put there.
2) Current MPG maxes out at 50 mpg - this has been raised elsewhere on the forum.(http://www.volvov40club.com/forums/Thread-TFT-Display-Instant-Fuel-Consumption)

Dear Mike

It's strange, but I also can not find the way to show km/h on the lower end of the TFT display.
Mind you that continental cars have the following displays:
- Average l/100 km + Average Speed (in kms/h)
- Current l/100 km + Distance to empty tank (in kms)
- Current l/100 km + Speed in MILES/h

It was impossible for me to find a way to change this last miles/h to km/h.
Most probably it is set this way for us on the continent to get an idea about what miles/h looks like !!! :p (and vice versa for you!)

Cheers - raytint

·
Registered
108 Posts
You can change the overall speed metrics in the myCar menu (in the screens where you also find the navigation and such)
There you can configure km/h or miles/h

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well... I thought I should be there...
Quickly skimming through the user guide does point to a different location... But then I can find the reference in the user guide...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike said:

This is interesting because when I use the wheel I get two different displays, the current mpg plus fuel range and the avg mpg plus avg mph, I don't get the third one.

I'll check again tomorrow, it could just be me being a muppet (it has been known). Thanks for the replies so far.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Perhaps a poll might be interesting, to see who uses what type of theme - performance, eco or elegance.

I for use use performance - mainly because i like the large numerical speedo (got used to this on my Prius)

·
Registered
101 Posts
If I turn the wheel on the left instrument stalk, I can see the speed in mph displayed in the lower right corner. Is that the feature you are looking for?

You can see what it looks like here, just above where it says 7:03:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a similar question, I have two distances showing at the bottom centre of the dash, on a standard dash they would be overall distance and trip counter.

I can't reset. If I'm right that one is a trip counter it should reset. The one described by the original poster does reset via the stalk, not this though.

Any ideas?[attachment=1]

·
Registered
86 Posts
SplashMan said:
I have a similar question, I have two distances showing at the bottom centre of the dash, on a standard dash they would be overall distance and trip counter.

I can't reset. If I'm right that one is a trip counter it should reset. The one described by the original poster does reset via the stalk, not this though.

Any ideas?
Are you referring to the distances prefixed 'T1'& 'T2'?
If so you can reset them by turning the wheel on the left hand stalk until they are displayed and then pressing the Reset button for about 1 second. It's located conveniently on the front of the LH stalk, just out of sight.
Took me a while to find that one :)

·
446 Posts
Mike said:
SplashMan said:

Any ideas?
Are you referring to the distances prefixed 'T1'& 'T2'?
If so you can reset them by turning the wheel on the left hand stalk until they are displayed and then pressing the Reset button for about 1 second. It's located conveniently on the front of the LH stalk, just out of sight.
Took me a while to find that one :)
It is true that this "reset" button on the left hand stalk, as the "tunnel detection button" (auto wipers) on the right hand stalk are a bit out of sight (at least for me, though I do not believe it is a matter of height - 1.75 m):p

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you, yes the reset button worked. I was aware of it, had used it, but for just exiting other 'ok' driven commands.

·
Registered
2 Posts
km/h on Volvo V40

I still can't find it anywhere, I posted this video on YouTube to show what happens:

Video

Anyone any ideas, it's driving me nuts.
Hello - I was just wondering if you ever got the km/h to display on your Volvo car? I have recently purchased a 2013 V40 with mph showing and no option to change to km/h.

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hello - I was just wondering if you ever got the km/h to display on your Volvo car? I have recently purchased a 2013 V40 with mph showing and no option to change to km/h.

Many thanks
On the Active TFT display at least, you cannot change the main speed display from MPH to KMH. There is a software download that can be applied by a dealer using ViDA to permanently change the display from one to the other, but the download needs to be performed each time you want to change it, which would be an expensive proposition.

You can set the display up so that the speed in KMH is displayed in the secondary speed display (the opposite side of the main dial to where the MPG display is).

·
Registered
719 Posts
Which is ridiculous, not that I have ever needed to display KMH. If I remember correctly the Analogue display can be changed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
11 Participants
Survyman
Volvo V40 Forums
If you've ever wondered what modifications or upgrades you can do to a Volvo V40, this is the right owners club for you.
Full Forum Listing