Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Looks nice, but not much good for my Basel to Belfast runs (which I hope to resume one of these years!)

·
Registered
354 Posts
What 's the difference with the Polestar 2, and why is it again a semi-SUV?
They would better make an electric S60.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What 's the difference with the Polestar 2, and why is it again a semi-SUV?
They would better make an electric S60.
I think it has to do with battery placement - in order not to intrude on boot/passenger space excessively, they make the car higher, so that the batteries go under the floor.

IIRC, this was the reason for the odd structure of the original Mercedes A-Class - it had a double floor, the space being intended for batteries. This never eventuated, but it was useful for crash protection (the motor went down between the floors).

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hmm too big! Why oh why can't volvo make something smaller, not everyone wants a SUV.
No, cannot see a rear wiper, maybe 'clean' energy keeps the rear screen clean?

·
Registered
271 Posts
... or SUV sized

·
Registered
458 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
The C series all used to be coupes, that is a small SUV!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Looks nice but no leather and 210 miles on a charge is no good to me ........
It is going to take a lot of time to get used to the idea of a premium car without a premium interior option. It might impress vegans but not me.

I know what you mean about the range, it is about 40miles short of the magic number I would need.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It is going to take a lot of time to get used to the idea of a premium car without a premium interior option. It might impress vegans but not me.

I know what you mean about the range, it is about 40miles short of the magic number I would need.
Well how many stops will that be to Cornwall....... and the wait for the charger. ..... my mum bless her will need to invest in a charger at her house if I visit....... as she lives in the sticks the polestar 2 quotes a 36 hour charge on a 3 pin plug .... .. I work full time and 3 hours on a Saturday so after driving up Saturday afternoon I won't be able to take her out anywhere as will be trying to charge for my return trip with no ac music or sat nav on .. as round trip is 216 miles and no I'm not stopping at motorway services they are awful ....... looks like my d2 inscription will have to last the rest of my driving life! I wear leather shoes myself so a few more cows for my car...... won't hurt surely ..... I should have the option

·
Registered
458 Posts
Still can't really understand the persistent focus on blistering performance when everyone is worried about range?
Blistering performance is a product of an electric motor, they can deliver all their torque from stationary, unlike a petrol or diesel engine. Reducing the performance would not increase battery life.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree that range is the single most important factor for me. When I used go to HQ pre Covid it was a 280 mile round trip. Most times I could do it door to door with no stops at services.

I don't want to be forced to make a long stop just to get home, nor do I want EV anxiety if I can reach the next charge point or if it will be available. For me a range needs to be 350+ or 400 would be optimal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well I signed up for more info so received an email with a utube presentation ..... the price ....$60000.00 equates th £43000.00 If this is the case I built a polestar 2 for 49k(its nice to dream! ) ....... and would get 400 miles almost on a charge ......

·
Registered
32 Posts
I thought the longest range EV was about 350 on a Tesla long range spec. When I last looked, the Polestar 2 had a quoted range of 290 miles.

I was considering a Model 3 when replacing my D3, but if Polestar have increased its range, then a rethink is in order :unsure:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well

I won't be worrying about a rear wash wipe as the price has been revealed by an email today £57985........ dream on volvo
Yes, way too expensive for me. And if I was wealthy enough to buy a car that cost £57,985 I'd want leather seats as well as a rear wiper. But I'd also need it to fit in my garage with enough clearance to get out of it. So I'll be keeping my V40 for a long time, I think.

My first Volvo was a 345, without rear wipers. The airflow over the rear screen kept it free of rain / snow - until you slowed down or stopped. They added wash-wipe later, which I was glad to have in subsequent cars. I'm just curious with the C40 whether they are trying make the car look sleek in the first images, or whether they are trying to save weight by replacing the wipers with airflow or washer jets. Leather is quite heavy too.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Not for me. I want to drive a car, not a mobility style mini SUV. But thanks for the links.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts