Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my white D2 Momentum on Monday after 109 days of waiting. What a brilliant car!

Although I did the test drive in March, I was still pleasantly surprised how well it drives. Somehow I remember the test drive car ride was firmer and more noisy (possibly due to larger wheels, I have 16") - mine is unbelievably quiet and the suspension feels fantastic. I have yet to take a more spirited drive, but the first 150 miles (mostly motorway) were utter joy. I also keep smiling whenever I take a look at the average consumption - yesterday I got 4.3 l/65 mpg driving mostly at 120 km/h / 75 mph. D2 engine is a gem - the way it still pulls in 6th gear is suspicious, the real torque must be higher than declared! :)

I particularly like the way everything feels solid, plush and chunky around the interior. Although I still feel I haven't found the ideal seating position ( I'm 6'3" / 191 cm), the seats are two classes above anything else I've tried and tested.

Another pleasant surprise - BLIS/LKA (first time I experienced the latter). Both work seamlessly and I find them incredibly useful. The way LKA brings you back in lane gently but effectively is magic.

The only gripe I have so far is inability to switch the digital instruments between mph and km/h. I'm driving a EU spec car in the UK, it would be really useful to be able to switch easily. With the digital instruments and the ability to easily switch consumption info between mpg and l/km, I can't get my head around why Volvo engineers did not allow for the main speedometer to be switchable too.

But if this remains my only gripe, I'll be more than happy. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
30 Posts
Congratulations! Share some pictures of your beauty please, especially interior ;)

Do you have the t-tec/textile seats? I have tried the leather and the plain textile ones, but I'm very curious about how the t-tec/textile feels, they look really nice in the pictures.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will try to post a picture or two in the next days! I chose black/blond combination (lower console, lower dash and door inserts are blond, the rest is black), it was a bit of a gamble as I hadn't seen that combination before on a real car, but I'm really happy how it turned out. Blond parts add to the roomy feeling, at least in my opinion.

T-tec/textile is also better than expected - the textile feels thick and durable (hopefully not too hard to clean, as it will have to withstand anything my four year old daughter throws at it), but the t-Tec part is a bit of a revelation - thick and smooth, leathery yet synthetic, but not in a bad way, very pleasant to touch. I actually wish they had used t-tec only.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Excellent!
I have only 18 days to wait for mine!! :D

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Assuming I'm reading it correctly, page 231 of the Owners Manual shows how to switch between mph and km/h. http://esd.volvocars.com/site/owner...220/V40_owners_manual_MY13_en-GB_TP_14636.pdf
that's only the infotainment display, not the main dashboard display. the only way to change the main dash display is by getting a dealer to flash the UK spec code onto the car, but then when you return to the continent, you would have to have it done again.
Thanks guys for both your comments. I did notice the option to display the "other" measurement in both the printed and the electronic manual. if i understand correctly, the speed should be displayed in the little box on the main cluster that normally displays average speed or range, and you should get it displayed cycling through other measurements with the small dial on the left stalk. However, it does not work for me. Either they updated (actually, downgraded) the software, or perhaps this is an option on UK spec cars only. The infotainment screen only displays km/h, even if i choose mph for consumption. I'll allow I may have missed something, but I've only had the car for three days :).

I fear ih8modem is right, flashing the software is likely the only option, something I'm not keen to do. I'm fairly used to recalculating the speed on the go.

In any case, Volvo should have made this easier, it cannot be that hard to implement. But as I said, this is just one little thing on an otherwise fantastic car!

·
Registered
221 Posts
The infotainment screen only displays km/h, even if i choose mph for consumption.

In any case, Volvo should have made this easier, it cannot be that hard to implement.

As far as implementation goes, probably something to do with local laws ... sorry Mr Gendarme, I was going 130 on my clock, I did not realise it was displaying mph :angel:

I went to go play with mine quickly, changed it all around, but the alternate speed displays km/h only, never changes. I would have guessed that it would be the opposite of the main display, and as such km/h would be fine if main display was mph, but I would expect if main was km/h the alternate was then going to be mph ...

The infotainment display option only ever echoes the main speed display, it does not appear you can change that either.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The manual clearly says you can see the speed in kmh if your main speedometer is in mph, and [bold]vice versa[/bold], which means I should be able to see it - will try to send a couple of emails to the dealer and Volvo.

As for the main speedometer, you are probably right it may have something to do with legal requirements, it's too obvious to be just an oversight. Although the legal requirement may be obsolete IMHO - it's certainly safer to be able to adapt your speedometer to show clear and visible reading in required measurement.

The gendarme situation reminded me of the opposite case, in real life - friends of mine came to visit me in June. They were in the UK for the first time and didn't realise the signs are all in miles! As they got off the ferry in Dover, they soon found themselves utterly confused with a 50 mph limit - admittedly, they were thinking something like "we are doing 15 km/h over the limit, and still everybody is overtaking us, these English drive like madmen!" :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
The manual clearly says you can see the speed in kmh if your main speedometer is in mph, and [bold]vice versa[/bold], which means I should be able to see it - will try to send a couple of emails to the dealer and Volvo.

As for the main speedometer, you are probably right it may have something to do with legal requirements, it's too obvious to be just an oversight. Although the legal requirement may be obsolete IMHO - it's certainly safer to be able to adapt your speedometer to show clear and visible reading in required measurement.

The gendarme situation reminded me of the opposite case, in real life - friends of mine came to visit me in June. They were in the UK for the first time and didn't realise the signs are all in miles! As they got off the ferry in Dover, they soon found themselves utterly confused with a 50 mph limit - admittedly, they were thinking something like "we are doing 15 km/h over the limit, and still everybody is overtaking us, these English drive like madmen!" :D

I personally did the exact same thing in 2002. I was driving a truck loaded with all my worldly possessions (was moving from Netherlands to the UK) and after exiting the ferry at Harwich was doing the speed limit. After about 20 miles my friend accompanying me simply said ... 'You realise the speed limits in the UK are in miles per hour and not km/h like the truck speedo ?'

I increased my speed from 40km/h to 65 km/h without saying a word.:angel:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Very nice indeed. I was toying with the white car / Blond interior for a while as my wife did not like the dark interior. In our case we eventually went for the Xenium pack which included the panoramic roof, so the oppressiveness was alleviated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts