Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. I have the (seemingly quite common) rattle in my drivers door! (although to be fair it is hardly noticeable, but it wasn't there at all until recently)

2. I didn't know my car (R-Design D2) has "Hill Start Assist" until I realised I wasn't rolling back when I took my foot off the brake on a hill a couple of months ago!

3. The seats are very "odour resistant". I still have that "new car smell" even following a nasty milk/protein shake spillage a few weeks ago! (wiped off quite easily) Also cannot smell any dried sweat from the drivers seat at all despite many sweaty drives home from the gym. (I do shower when I get home before anyone asks!)

4. Not to rely too heavily on rear sensors. They do not pick up reflective surfaces (this INCLUDES shiny metal bollards!!!) Reversed into one (fairly slowly luckily) and I can safely say the bollard suffered more damage!

5. I get a fairly consistent 46.7mpg average in 90% urban commuter traffic type driving (climate control always on, fairly sensible driving!). Given the cars weight, I'm pretty pleased with this.

6. iPod connection with my iPhone 5 is rubbish when used with the cable as it muddles up track names and gets confused if you have bluetooth on as well. (so now I stick to Bluetooth only. Perhaps it will be better with my 6 Plus, will be interesting to see!)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Nice post, Andy

1. I have the (seemingly quite common) rattle in my drivers door! (although to be fair it is hardly noticeable, but it wasn't there at all until recently)
I've also got a few rattles here and there, mainly depending on the temp inside the cabin but I find it difficult to point the spots. I will mention that on my first guarantee service and let's see if Volvo can fix that. And from reading this forum this is a common problem with V40.

2. I didn't know my car (R-Design D2) has "Hill Start Assist" until I realised I wasn't rolling back when I took my foot off the brake on a hill a couple of months ago!
Yes, all versions got this from factory. Nice feature indeed. It also works when reversing uphill.

3. The seats are very "odour resistant". I still have that "new car smell" even following a nasty milk/protein shake spillage a few weeks ago! (wiped off quite easily) Also cannot smell any dried sweat from the drivers seat at all despite many sweaty drives home from the gym. (I do shower when I get home before anyone asks!)
The same here and I sometimes smoke inside the car (*** ends go directly outside though ;-) The smell of the upholstery is awesome and addictive (I've heard this applies to all new Volvos)

4. Not to rely too heavily on rear sensors. They do not pick up reflective surfaces (this INCLUDES shiny metal bollards!!!) Reversed into one (fairly slowly luckily) and I can safely say the bollard suffered more damage!
No failure here so far but I mostly rely on the camera.

5. I get a fairly consistent 46.7mpg average in 90% urban commuter traffic type driving (climate control always on, fairly sensible driving!). Given the cars weight, I'm pretty pleased with this.
Not bad but Kev can do 70+ mpg with D2. Ask him how, I have never reached 60 mpg. Well, I am rather a "nervous" driver though :)

6. iPod connection with my iPhone 5 is rubbish when used with the cable as it muddles up track names and gets confused if you have bluetooth on as well. (so now I stick to Bluetooth only. Perhaps it will be better with my 6 Plus, will be interesting to see!)
My biggest complaint about my V40. But I have never used this (as I am no Apple user), I am a little bit disappointed with USB playback from a USB stick. It mixes song order of album if I don't use FAT sorter before connecting it to my V40 and it refuses to play certain mp3's encoded with certain codec. This is a pain in the ass with audio system inside a premium car that V40 is supposed to be.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mhron, yes I will mention the rattle at my first service too and report back what they say. Interesting that your rattles depend on the cabin temp. My rattle is barely noticeable though and others can't even notice it. Generally, the cabin is very well screwed together, as was my previous Volvo (a C30) that had none and I probably am splitting hairs...

I used to have a SEAT Leon and that WAS rattly!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Nice post, Andy

The same here and I sometimes smoke inside the car (*** ends go directly outside though ;-)
As a motorcyclist i feel very strongly about car drivers who throw lighted cig ends out of the window with complete disregard for those behind them. I hope this is not you! A mate had a lighted cig end go down the front of his boot but fortunately it did not burn through his leather trousers or who knows what the result would have been. . . .

·
Registered
36 Posts
I own my V40 since June, it's MY15.

Regarding rattles here is my experience:
- minor rattle in left (driver's) door
- rattle of the central ventilation mask/grille (it depends on the heat)
- squeaks of the gear stick, especially when I switch to 1st or 5th gear

Some other things that annoy me (compared to previously owned cars, e.g. Golf Mk7):
- windshield wipers keep wiping at the same speed when car does not move (e.g. on the traffic light).
- some settings of the vehicle set back to default value on their own after some time (e.g. trip statistics setting to reset after 4 hours).
- when car is ignited, sound volume level is left on previous setting.
- car door sill including side bar are to wide, so I already have scratched paint on the plastic side bar of the sill. Even if you install genuine sill protectors, these do not cover side bar area which is prone to scratches.
- too firm suspension (tires pressure 2.3), in my opinion, it can get quite noisy if the road asphalt is full of pits.

These are my remarks so far...will see what future brings. :)

Br,

L

·
Registered
39 Posts
Cigarette ends out the window is a pet hate of mine, I wonder how they would feel if I chucked my litter in their window when they were stopped at the lights. I can imagine the reaction I would get, so don't litter public spaces with your S*?T!!

Anyway I have recently developed the driver door rattle, It started about the 12Kmile mark and is very annoying I wonder if I should mention it on the next service, the problem is it is not always there so it will probably come back saying they couldn't hear it.

Ludilo, I am pretty sure there is a setting in the menu that means the trip statistics don't reset after 4 hours, as mine never used to reset but I changed it to do so as I prefer it that way, cant remember where it is though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ludilo, I am pretty sure there is a setting in the menu that means the trip statistics don't reset after 4 hours, as mine never used to reset but I changed it to do so as I prefer it that way, cant remember where it is though.
I didn't express myself correctly (sorry, English is not my native language) in my prev post. I know about the 4 hours setting and actually I prefer that trip statistics resets after 4 hrs as well, so I checked this box in car settings. However, after some time, this setting unchecks by itself, so I have to go again into settings to set it again. The same behavior happens with location service setting as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mos, I couldn't agree more about the people throwing their litter out their car. It is the most revolting behaviour on the road. Concerning your question how would they feel, i remember I've seen recently on youtube a guy who does to them just that. He rides a motorbike, picks up the litter, follows them and at the traffic lights throws it back inside the car!!!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Anyway I have recently developed the driver door rattle, It started about the 12Kmile mark and is very annoying I wonder if I should mention it on the next service, the problem is it is not always there so it will probably come back saying they couldn't hear it.
Do mention it. I had a similar rattle which was quickly resolved. Apparently a part of the door lock mechanism needs lubricating. It certainly fixed my rattle, which I thought was in the door pillar. I may be mistaken, but I think there is a technical note about it.

Reactions: mos

·
Registered
175 Posts
The arm rest between the two front seats slides forwards, which makes it much more comfortable to use. Found that after about 9000 miles.

There's a strange pocket right at the front of the front seats, only recently discovered it, no idea what I'd use it for though.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I use that little pocket to keep a notebook and pen for recording the expenditure, etc.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Where exactly is this pocket?

Also, after not being able to switch on high beams last Friday on a country road, I read up on "Active High Beam". I tried it last night, and got the beams on, but when a car approached, it didn't detect it and turn it off, and I dazzled the driver!!

What a load of bollocks.

Also! Call me OCD but the sticker on my window that says "Volvo Protected" etc, it's not even fvcking straight. If you gave me 30k for a car I'd put the fwcklng stickers on straight at least. Gonna ask them to sort that shvt out when they do the three month inspection thing. Joke!

·
Registered
718 Posts
I dunno about your car, but on mine pull left hand stalk towards you to toggle high and low beam, rather like most other cars. I haven't got Active High Beam so I can't comment on that feature.

I have to say that after 2 years (almost) I am still very happy with my V40.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yeah, same for me. My old car you pushed forward for toggle high beam and pulled forward for flash. V40 has two clicks as you pull it, but last friday neither did anything except temporary full beam. Works now but didn't on friday. Weird.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yeah, same for me. My old car you pushed forward for toggle high beam and pulled forward for flash. V40 has two clicks as you pull it, but last friday neither did anything except temporary full beam. Works now but didn't on friday. Weird.
Were your headlights on ?

Will only stay on if headlight are on (apologies of stating the obvious)

Ooooo, just seen you 'active high beam' bit, dunno if mine has that ?

I love the lights - nearly as much as the brakes and I love them nearly as much as the engine

Did not know about the slidey arm rest - will have to try that tomorrow

·
Registered
62 Posts
There's a strange pocket right at the front of the front seats, only recently discovered it, no idea what I'd use it for though.
I keep my parking permit in there as I don't like keeping it on the windscreen all the time (looks untidy).

One thing I found out this weekend using my iPhone 6 as satnav - the USB port only supplies low current. The phone was charging, but it was using more power than it was taking in, which meant over 150 miles, the battery did drain a bit. I may see if I can get a more powerful charger to plug into the power socket instead.

On the way home I changed from the TomTom app to the Apple Maps app and found it used much less power.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Something i just learnt -

If you have Park Assist Pilot it by default scans the passenger side of the car for parking spaces when you switch it on. I wanted to parallel park on the driver's side the other day and had no idea how to *switch* it to the other side, so i manually parked. Turns out if you switch it on then flick your indicator stalk to the drivers' side the PAP will scan that side and will park for you on the drivers' side

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.