Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

First post so please be gentle :angel:

I have been into Volvo today an I am very taken by the V40 to the point where I am ready to commit but would value some advice from those who already have them.

The dealer is willing to make a £2,200 deposit contribution so it seems a good time to buy and get shot of the Merc CLC I have at the moment.

I am definitely going to be getting a D2 R-Design manual with the winter pack but can't decide between the "normal" R-Design of the Lux, any advice here would be welcome.

Also undecided on the sound system, is the only difference between stock and Premium the 7" screen and the dvd player. Can this be used to play video DVD's?

If I order this week I will have the car at the start of October but I have noticed a few saying they are not getting the illuminated gear knob, is that the case as it appears to be part of the standard kit.

Any advice gratefully recieved.

PDH

·
Registered
115 Posts
Take a look at:

http://www.volvocars.com/uk/Documents/Volvo-V40-pricelist.pdf

The differences between the standard and premium sound are listed (the premium has extra amps and speakers etc) I have the standard set-up and its very good. As I have Nav I've got the 7" screen and yes, you can play DVD's (when stationary)

As for the glowing gear knob, this is listed as standard on the R Design and R Design Lux. It also comes as part of the Lux Winter Pack (which is how I got mine)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Standard audio is very good, but if you've come from a well amp'd setup before, you might notice the difference but for standard car audio, I can't fault it :)

The R-Design spec and D2 engines are both superb, rather jealous still that our V40 is my wife's car :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi All,

First post so please be gentle :angel:

PDH
Sounds like troll talk to me! ;) Only joking hehe!

For the Lux pack you need to ask yourself do you really want full leather, active bending xenon lights, rain sensor, cruise control and rear theater lighting as standard. If yes to most of those then the Lux it is.
I have the Premium audio system which gives the 7 inch screen but I can't say how much better it is than the High performance. I reckon I'd need a back to back listen to make a valid comparison. You do get 5.0 Dolby Digital and Pro-Logic II decoding with the Premium setup and I tried watching a DVD the other day - If you're stuck waiting in the car for any length of time it was actually quite watchable, and the audio was superb. You can also optimize the sound stage for various listening positions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like troll talk to me! ;) Only joking hehe!

For the Lux pack you need to ask yourself do you really want full leather, active bending xenon lights, rain sensor, cruise control and rear theater lighting as standard. If yes to most of those then the Lux it is.
I have the Premium audio system which gives the 7 inch screen but I can't say how much better it is than the High performance. I reckon I'd need a back to back listen to make a valid comparison. You do get 5.0 Dolby Digital and Pro-Logic II decoding with the Premium setup and I tried watching a DVD the other day - If you're stuck waiting in the car for any length of time it was actually quite watchable, and the audio was superb. You can also optimize the sound stage for various listening positions.
A troll :eek: !!

Thanks for the heads up, if I get the standard R-Design I was going to spec the wipers and cruise control anyway as I spend most of my life on motorways so use these a lot on my current car. I'm intrigued by the bendy xenons, I've never had xenons on a car before but have been in friends that have them and seen other cars with them and the visibility seems much better.

Does anyone have experience of the xenons?

·
Registered
202 Posts
A troll :eek: !!

Thanks for the heads up, if I get the standard R-Design I was going to spec the wipers and cruise control anyway as I spend most of my life on motorways so use these a lot on my current car. I'm intrigued by the bendy xenons, I've never had xenons on a car before but have been in friends that have them and seen other cars with them and the visibility seems much better.

Does anyone have experience of the xenons?
A little joke of mine from a couple of earlier threads where some poor soul may have been harshly misjudged.

There was a thread in here where several users reported that their xenons where poorly adjusted from new - I was dreading the same thing when I got mine but they have been spot-on (pun intended lol!) I haven't really looked for the bending much but you can just about see the beam pattern change shape if you look carefully whilst negotiating a tight turn.

·
Registered
945 Posts
All my cars since 2007 have had HID;s and I would not have a car without them now, the bending bit is a pointless gimmick though.

Th leather is nice and again I woudl not have a car without it if it is available

I also have nav and the audi system works well (far better than the Bose on the 2010 A3 Sline Black edition the V40 replaced)

I have not posted before but I understand that the D2 is the Peugeot 1.6 oil burning lump that has been around for years, these can eat turbos and coke up a lot, why not ditch the lux and go for a D3

·
Registered
196 Posts
The D2 is Pug designed but fitted to loads of cars...Volvo, Ford, Pug, Citreon, Mazda and Mini's apparently. If memory serves, the turbo issues were sorted in later versions of this engine and Volvo I think make their own alterations to the design but that may be hearsay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
All my cars since 2007 have had HID;s and I would not have a car without them now, the bending bit is a pointless gimmick though.

Th leather is nice and again I woudl not have a car without it if it is available

I also have nav and the audi system works well (far better than the Bose on the 2010 A3 Sline Black edition the V40 replaced)

I have not posted before but I understand that the D2 is the Peugeot 1.6 oil burning lump that has been around for years, these can eat turbos and coke up a lot, why not ditch the lux and go for a D3

I have the D3 and it feels purrrrfect! :)

Smooth drive with a bit of poke if needs be for overtaking.

Haven't felt any turbo lag yet. One or two peeps I've spoke to with a Volvo reckon they suffer a bit from lag, but I haven't noticed

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reason for having the LUX was I wanted the cruise control and leather anyway and the xeonon headlights were on the wish list too. By the time I'd speced it up with these options it was cheaper to go for the LUX.

Fuel economy was also a consideration, I'm coming from a 2.2 Sport Merc CLC which has a great deal of punch but also likes to drink diesel so it was a balance of enough power for my normal motorway drive with a sportier chassis and toys.

Ordered the car yesterday and went for:

D2 R-Design LUX in Rebel Blue
Winter Pack
Park Assist Pilot
Flexible Floor

Just the long wait till the 9th of October now :-(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts