Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My D4 2015 is asking me to top up the oil again. I got the car in January and it was serviced in December. Had no oil issues until the 20th Feb when it asked me that I need to add half a litre. So I did and everything looked ok. But it's now asking me to put in another half litre. I can't see any oil marks where I leave my car.

In contrast, my previous Hyundai I had for 10 years, regularly serviced but never just to top it up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It's not normal that it asks for half a litre 2 months after a fresh service, unless you drive it like a race car on german autobahn. As it's asking for a second time, I suspect a defective oil level sensor, I've read of many problems with false readings that can lead to overfilling in a german forum. I recommend you take the car to the dealer and let them read out the real value with their VIDA diagnostic system. The problem with the oil sensor only affects newer VEA engines, but If yours is from 2015 you should have the 190hp D4, not the old 177hp D4, which also has this st***d electronic sensor, but seems to work better. There is also a mini dipstick, at least on the five pots, but it's hard to reach.

·
Registered
196 Posts
VEA engines up to 2015 and prior to engine number 1501327 can be prone to developing high oil consumption. The solution is new pistons and piston rings.

From engine number 1501327 all VEA engines were fitted with the modified parts from the factory.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not normal that it asks for half a litre 2 months after a fresh service, unless you drive it like a race car on german autobahn. As it's asking for a second time, I suspect a defective oil level sensor, I've read of many problems with false readings that can lead to overfilling in a german forum. I recommend you take the car to the dealer and let them read out the real value with their VIDA diagnostic system. The problem with the oil sensor only affects newer VEA engines, but If yours is from 2015 you should have the 190hp D4, not the old 177hp D4, which also has this st***d electronic sensor, but seems to work better. There is also a mini dipstick, at least on the five pots, but it's hard to reach.
Yeh mines the electric only sensor

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VEA engines up to 2015 and prior to engine number 1501327 can be prone to developing high oil consumption. The solution is new pistons and piston rings.

From engine number 1501327 all VEA engines were fitted with the modified parts from the factory.
How do I determine if mines one of those? It was first registered Feb 2015

·
Registered
196 Posts
How do I determine if mines one of those? It was first registered Feb 2015
From the engine number, either on your registration document or on a label on top of the engine beneath the engine cover. It will look like this, although this one is from a petrol engine. The number is the numerals between the asterisks (1938147 in this case).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From the engine number, either on your registration document or on a label on top of the engine beneath the engine cover. It will look like this, although this one is from a petrol engine. The number is the numerals between the asterisks (1938147 in this case).

View attachment 16776
1111485 so likely it's a pistons and rings problem.guessing that's an expensive thing to fix

·
Registered
196 Posts
1111485 so likely it's a pistons and rings problem.guessing that's an expensive thing to fix
Maybe, maybe not. You would need to find out from Volvo if any relevant interventions have already been carried out on your engine and possibly carry out investigations such as a compression test. In the first instance, they may well want to monitor the oil consumption.

I don't know what the policy would be on any repair work but there was a technical journal on the issue, although the oil consumption had to exceed a specified figure before they would intervene.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Volvo digital service indicator is now saying cambelt change at 5yrs instead of 10yrs is the reason potential oil leak the plot thickens was wondering why the changes hope there’s no mods involved don’t take my advice but look In to it personally I would do the cam belt change on the 15 plate D4 as per the digital service indicator

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Volvo digital service indicator is now saying cambelt change at 5yrs instead of 10yrs is the reason potential oil leak the plot thickens was wondering why the changes hope there’s no mods involved don’t take my advice but look In to it personally I would do the cam belt change on the 15 plate D4 as per the digital service indicator
I had the cam belt (and the other parts) changed by Volvo as part of the sale due to there being some confusion as to when it should be changed

·
Registered
196 Posts
For some reason part of my last post is missing. I also typed at the end that it could simply be a dodgy oil level sensor. Until the level has been checked and monitored, impossible to say really.

·
Registered
3 Posts
is it necessary to change the pistons as well? even if they meet the factory parameters and are not worn out?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe, maybe not. You would need to find out from Volvo if any relevant interventions have already been carried out on your engine and possibly carry out investigations such as a compression test. In the first instance, they may well want to monitor the oil consumption.

I don't know what the policy would be on any repair work but there was a technical journal on the issue, although the oil consumption had to exceed a specified figure before they would intervene.
I took it in. They said that they did a compression test and it was fine. No oil in exhaust. Oil levels seem fine. The oil must be going somewhere as I've put in 2l already

·
Registered
196 Posts
is it necessary to change the pistons as well? even if they meet the factory parameters and are not worn out?
According to Volvo, yes. It may be that the pistons have been redesigned to accommodate the new ring design.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I been in official volvo store and has new piston in my hand... there is no difference between old and new.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I been in official volvo store and has new piston in my hand... there is no difference between old and new.
Well, what did they say? But as the Volvo tech journal states that pistons, rings and conrod bearings must all be replaced to rectify the issue, I doubt there is a Volvo dealer anywhere who won't follow that instruction if they're going to claim from Volvo for carrying out remedial work!

If you're doing the job yourself, it's up to you, but it's a lot of work and even more expense to strip the engine again if it doesn't work ;-)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I took it in. They said that they did a compression test and it was fine. No oil in exhaust. Oil levels seem fine. The oil must be going somewhere as I've put in 2l already
Hi , Our D4 190 is the same. It averages 1ltr every 2000miles.. Ridiculous. My 3lts BMW uses about the same in 25,ooo miles. The volvo dealer reckons it's normal !. WTF?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, what did they say? But as the Volvo tech journal states that pistons, rings and conrod bearings must all be replaced to rectify the issue, I doubt there is a Volvo dealer anywhere who won't follow that instruction if they're going to claim from Volvo for carrying out remedial work!

If you're doing the job yourself, it's up to you, but it's a lot of work and even more expense to strip the engine again if it doesn't work ;-)
Do you have a copy of the tech journal?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts