Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To my fellow V40-Petrol owners,

The UK government is switching from E5 to E10 Petrol by the end of this summer for environmental reasons. What are your thoughts on Standard E10 Fuel (10% Ethenol 90% Petrol) affecting the performance/fuel-economy of the T2, T3 and other petrol variants of the Volvo V40? I own a T2 (MY18) and only used premium 95+ RON here in the UK. I have heard stories about how E10 negatively affects power/fuel-economy. I am tempted to switch for a couple of tanks (when available) and see for myself. Thought I'd swing this by you lot before I did.

Cheers,
T2 owner

·
Registered
18 Posts
I certainly believe that the fuel economy will go down, but by how much I'm not too sure. Doubt it'll be noticeable. Regarding performance I guess it depends on the engine management. More ethanol reduces the liklihood of detonation. This may mean the ecu can adjust timing in favour of performsnce. Especially with turbo engines reducing knock can help a fair bit. Personally running a remapped engine I think this may be more of an advantage.

·
Registered
980 Posts
What does the manual say? For my T5 it recommends 99RON but says it will run happily at reduced performance on 95.
All modern engines have knock sensors and TBH will run on almost anything within reason.....

I almost always use 99RON, usually Tesco Momentum.

·
Registered
131 Posts
From the user's manual:
  • Fuel that contains up to 10 percent by volume ethanol is permitted.
  • EN 228 E10 petrol (max 10 percent by volume ethanol) is approved for use.
  • Ethanol higher than E10 (max. 10 percent by volume ethanol) is not permitted, e.g. E85 is not permitted.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Just had an email from Shell explaining that the "cooking" 95RON will become E10 later this year, but V-Power will still be E5.
As noted earlier, I'll just stick with 99, Tesco or Shell as available.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So I decided to try E10 for myself. Waited until the fuel-low warning came one and filled the car up. I found the power delivery was generally lack-lustre, and specifically lumpy. Engine sounds generally rough, like it's struggling to breathe. Power-curve is far less linear than with my usual 99 RON. I do 400-odd miles a month, mostly urban driving, with a 10-15% motorway a month. Fuel economy with 99-RON usually is 40-44 MPG depending on various factors. With E5 (Tesco), I found it sank to 37 MPG. I was sceptical, so filled her up a second tank, on regular E10. Same results again (36 MPG this time!!!), I have decided to stick with 99-RON for now. Thank you all for the great responses!

·
Registered
2017 T2 R-Design
76 Posts
Funny how they increased the ethanol concentration but kept the prices as high as before. I only fill up from Shell and I had to pay £67 for a tank of E10, but I lost around 20 miles in range and a bit of power, which I definitely felt on the motorway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.