Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To my fellow V40-Petrol owners,

The UK government is switching from E5 to E10 Petrol by the end of this summer for environmental reasons. What are your thoughts on Standard E10 Fuel (10% Ethenol 90% Petrol) affecting the performance/fuel-economy of the T2, T3 and other petrol variants of the Volvo V40? I own a T2 (MY18) and only used premium 95+ RON here in the UK. I have heard stories about how E10 negatively affects power/fuel-economy. I am tempted to switch for a couple of tanks (when available) and see for myself. Thought I'd swing this by you lot before I did.

Cheers,
T2 owner

·
Registered
5 Posts
I certainly believe that the fuel economy will go down, but by how much I'm not too sure. Doubt it'll be noticeable. Regarding performance I guess it depends on the engine management. More ethanol reduces the liklihood of detonation. This may mean the ecu can adjust timing in favour of performsnce. Especially with turbo engines reducing knock can help a fair bit. Personally running a remapped engine I think this may be more of an advantage.

·
Registered
803 Posts
What does the manual say? For my T5 it recommends 99RON but says it will run happily at reduced performance on 95.
All modern engines have knock sensors and TBH will run on almost anything within reason.....

I almost always use 99RON, usually Tesco Momentum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts