Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

Just wondering if anybody knows when I should be looking to change the timing belt / cambelt?

I have a 62 plate 1.6 D2 and have currently done just over 75k miles.

I have looked around and keep getting varying answers so hopefully here will set me straight.

Cheers all.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
The timing belt replacement interval on the D4162T (D2) engine is 140000 km/87500 miles. It was originally 150000 miles, but the interval was brought forward in 2014. The replacement kit includes a new tensioner and idler pulley and auxilliary drive belt. It would probably be worth replacing the water pump at the same time as it's driven off the cambelt too.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Is there also an age the belt should be replaced at Buzby?
For example 87,500 miles or 6 years whatever comes first or is it ok to leave it until the mileage is achieved?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Is there also an age the belt should be replaced at Buzby?
For example 87,500 miles or 6 years whatever comes first or is it ok to leave it until the mileage is achieved?
7 years at 12500 miles per year. It's whichever comes first - if you only do 5000 miles a year the rubber in the belt would be well past it by 17 years.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi guys,
Do you know about the service interval of timing belt in D4 190hp d4204t14.
Thanks,
Cheers

·
Registered
361 Posts
I read this a couple of years ago.
8 years 144,000 miles whichever comes first.
But then again I read somewhere where it was 6 years 108,000 - best thing is to contact a few Volvo garages.
That may confuse the issue even more !!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
i`ve just asked my local volvo dealer about the timing belt change frequency on my 2016 v40 d2 and was told they can go as far as 96000 but would recommend at most 90000 miles
this is not the psa/ ford motor but the d4204t8 i certainly will be looking to get it changed well before that mileage i know the psa / ford engines go to about the 85000 miles
if your a really low user i would recommend a belt change before 10 yrs for piece of mind especially if its got start stop like mine !!
if you purchase any vehicle with no history i recommend changing the belt as soon as possible regardless of make..

·
Registered
19 Posts
So I took the car to the local volvo garage to find it out, and they told me that the original volvo recommendation was 250k km, and this was changed again by volvo in 2019 to 150k km. Mine got the new belt since then around 200k km in the car costed about 800 eur after some negotiations :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts