Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that tinted/privacy windows are becoming prolific, I've decided that I don't like them ~ especially when I'm in a built-up area. When you're behind a car that has tinted windows they make it more difficult for you to see ahead, and when you're at a junction alongside a car which has tinted windows they make it more difficult for you to see through the other car's windows and see traffic approaching from the side.
(And before you ask, my car doesn't have tinted windows.)

·
Registered
156 Posts
I agree with you. I decided not to get the privacy glass. It looks good on white cars, but wanted to avoid any race/sport look. Maybe it's just personal preference.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hmm. Interesting to get opinions.

I was just thinking about this yesterday - should I have the dark/privacy glass on rear windows to keep the heat in during winter, but more a case of keep the car cooler in summer...

:huh:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would seriously recommend the blinds they are a fantastic alternative to tinting as the car looks tinted and are easily removed if need be...ie if you decide to take a day out to the safari park etc :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've never liked the option of privacy glass on any car - not just Volvos. Here in Australia the degree of tint in "privacy glass" to too dark to be legally replicated on the front windows. Therefore you end up with two shades of tinting between the front and back windows and it just looks - on any car - plain ugly (or worse privacy glass on the rear windows and no tint on the front windows). That's why I've always preferred not to get privacy glass and instead tint all windows to the maximum (legal) tint as an aftermarket option.

Tony

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I again prefer tinted windows for my car, the bright sun in SA, helps to keep to car not so bright inside.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would seriously recommend the blinds they are a fantastic alternative to tinting as the car looks tinted and are easily removed if need be...ie if you decide to take a day out to the safari park etc :)
Have you got a link for these ?

I am struggling a bit with My Volvo website not able to add my car for some reason, so it's not showing me accessories listings :dodgy:

·
Registered
159 Posts
I really like these blinds, having had them for nearly two years now in the rear and side windows. The fact that I can lower the windows when parked in a secure area and still ventilate the car without insects/flies getting in, is great, especially with the UK weather that we've had so far this year. I thoroughly recommend them. Want some more light in the car in the winter? Just two minutes to pop them out again and put into the storage bag that came with them. :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
I really like these blinds, having had them for nearly two years now in the rear and side windows. The fact that I can lower the windows when parked in a secure area and still ventilate the car without insects/flies getting in, is great, especially with the UK weather that we've had so far this year. I thoroughly recommend them. Want some more light in the car in the winter? Just two minutes to pop them out again and put into the storage bag that came with them. :)
Where did you get them mate? And how much were they?

I'm interested in getting some of these!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have always been a fan of the blinds (I have had them on all my Volvos), but I had a recent bad experience with the ones for BMW, which were attached using adhesive clips which keep falling off.

The most recent ones I bought from Volvo (for my XC90) also have very cheap clips, which also fall out regularly.

The ones for my V70s were great though, and I have no experience with the V40, as after bad experiences with both the BMW and XC90 I just speced privacy glass.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Where did you get them mate? And how much were they?

I'm interested in getting some of these!
Hi AKD47
I saw them on the Volvo accessories website. They had the part numbers 31399205 for the rear door windows, and 31399206 for the tailgate. I ordered them from my dealer in Bristol, took about two weeks to arrive. I think they cost about £70 per set? (2013). Volvo say that they are ok up to about 50mph with the windows lowered. Certainly they are ok across town up to about 40mph, I've not tried higher. They are retained by (not enough) metal clips. Very easy to remove when not required.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.