Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone can tell me who is going to decide whether a tyre repaired with TMK is still usable? Can such a tire, if usable, be again repaired with the same method (TMK) ? (TMK = Temporary Mobility Kit)

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tire repaired, foam is not foam but a whitish liquid (stays liquid, as seen after two days of use), which was washed out with water, nail removed, everything ok except for the price of the new bottle and hose required (53 euros!!!). Have to say that TMK is VERY easy to use and maybe this makes up for the cost. Anyway, I am looking for an emergency spare tire, as the price from Volvo is also extraordinary. Thank you all !

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And to continue: Anyone having an emergency spare tire on a D2 instead of TMK can inform me on the tire dimensions?
Is it 115/90/R16 or 125/80/R17 ?
Thank you!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have the Volvo Tempa spare on my D2; it's a Continental 115/90 R16, marked "Max speed 50mph 80kph"

·
Registered
382 Posts
R16 stands for a 16 inch wheel. Petrust, I believe that R Design are 17`s as standard so your spare should be R17. Wrong size wheel mismatch could be dangerous.

·
Registered
630 Posts
R16 stands for a 16 inch wheel. Petrust, I believe that R Design are 17`s as standard so your spare should be R17. Wrong size wheel mismatch could be dangerous.
One important factor is the dynamic rolling radius of the tyre, not the wheel diameter. In the case of a space saver wheel, the reduction in the wheel size is compensated for (to some extent) by the tyre size. The difference in the dynamic rolling radius between a standard 205/50 R17 and a 115/90 R16 spare is 11mm. Presumably this is one of the reasons why the spare has a recommended maximum speed of 50 mph (80 km/h).
http://www.club80-90syncro.co.uk/Syncro_website/TechnicalPages/TRC calculator.htm

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@ Yellowbelly: Thnks for the info on dynamic rolling radius, but 125/80/17 seems to be a better fit in all aspects to 205/50/17 than 115/90/16. My only concern now (as I have already given an order for the 125), is the difference of one cm in height (tire horizontally placed), as it may not fit well in the space provided.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My only concern now (as I have already given an order for the 125), is the difference of one cm in height (tire horizontally placed), as it may not fit well in the space provided.
A visual check of my 115/90/16 spare wheel in the boot well suggests you should not have a problem housing your 125/80/17. There appears to be adequate clearance for the additional overall diameter, and the extra 10mm tyre height with the wheel stored horizontally

·
Registered
630 Posts
........... 125/80/17 seems to be a better fit in all aspects to 205/50/17 than 115/90/16. My only concern now (as I have already given an order for the 125), is the difference of one cm in height (tire horizontally placed), as it may not fit well in the space provided.
It looks as if the outer diameter of the 125/80 R17 will be about two cm bigger than that of the 115/90 R16, so this will also affect whether it will fit in the boot.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.