Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I start I must say that I have searched this forum but didn't find an answer.

I've had new cars for the past fifteen years and have not had to add oil between services. My V40 is one year old in March and it's having first service on 28 Feb.

Thing is the engine oil is below half level and engine is definitely noisier than previous. No oil leaks though.

Question is, what's the best oil to use (based on the valuable experience of club members) to top-up until service time and beyond, I suppose?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I would just go by page 373 of the manual in respect of oil grade, the detail is there. Page 330 of the manual states that if oil level at min, 0.5 litres should be added. Therefore if just below halfway, this should be fine. :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This isn't the 'experience' I was after. I can read the manual but it's users and enthusiasts that discover the truth.

My FTO ran smoother on Valvoline fully synthetic. Cost an absolute fortune and I fully changed oil every six months but it stopped the dreaded 'rattle 'o' death' so was well worth it.

If anyone has experience of a fantastic quality oil then please shout up but if I get no responses then I will think that everyone is just using the Volvo oil or not having to top-up at all I've read on here that some were concerned regarding the quality of the Volvo stuff and I have to say that the oil left in mine does not look good!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I topped up on Sunday. The oil was around two thirds down from max to min and I thought it was good to top up as I have another 5000 miles before the first service. I used the recommended oil, Castrol 0w30 A5/B5. Will post if I notice any difference, although with this amount it should not be noticeable.

Make sure you get the right oil. I initially ordered Castrol Edge 0w30, only to realise it was not A5/B5 (whatever that means). Luckily I saw this immediately and just amended the order.

---------------------
Volvo V40 D2 Momentum, Ice White, Premium Sound, BLIS+LKA+RSI, TFT Display, Heated Windscreen, Rear Park Assist, Active High Beam, Power Child Lock

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Belisarius for taking the time to answer.

Although it may be early to tell in your case it may well be that the Castrol oil is the best to use. It's just this 'experience' that I'm looking for.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oil

Personally I am sticking to Castrol:
My first C30 2.0 litre 4 pot ran with out a moments problem engine wise.
My C30 D3 ran on Castrol from new when I sold it it had 58000 miles on the clock and I never topped it up between services.
I think you must consider why Volvo recommend Castrol in the first place :thumbup: diesel engines these days are very refined and should be treated as such, using cheap oil really is a bad move

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I must be getting soft in my old age.
Yeah right. :p

I doubt you need to change the oil or indeed top up going by the manual guidance and your description on the oil level. In one months time it will all be drained out anyway? I guess it's your money. :thumbup:

It will be great if you can share your technical knowledge and experience on your thoughts in respect of this matter in order that I can benefit from your technical experiences? What will upgraded oil deliver over the engine oil that Volvo recommend? What will be the performance difference to your D2 etc. These are genuine queries.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
using cheap oil really is a bad move
You missed the point Ray. I thought that Castrol was considered a 'run-of-the-mill' oil and nothing special. Generally fully synthetics give better protection at high temperatures in performance vehicles.

I realise that the D2 isn't a high performance engine but a synthetic with lower viscosity but a high molecular adherence may actually increase efficiency by reducing frictional drag. That's why I asked the question. I probably wouldn't risk it without some kind of guidance.

It's probably too early to tell yet. The V40 not been around that long and usually the guys running-up excessive miles are often using these vehicles as company cars and will not bother with special treatments. A fact which I fully appreciate and I would act likewise.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
So are you changing the oil or not with one month to go until your annual service. Of course there is absolutely no reason to do so in my experience from the level that you described. This is what interests me why you would want to do this?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I realise that the D2 isn't a high performance engine but a synthetic with lower viscosity but a high molecular adherence may actually increase efficiency by reducing frictional drag. That's why I asked the question. I probably wouldn't risk it without some kind.
I don't mean to be rude, but judging by your previous posts and technical knowledge, being the same as mine, I would think you have cut copied and pasted these words. :D I am sorry, but I would just like to understand why you want to change the oil. Makes no sense to me?

·
Registered
395 Posts
If you are just adding a drop or two to top up pending your service i would think that any oil would be fine. If, however, you are thinking of a complete change that is a different story and I cant help - sorry.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Because the car is definitely noisier than it was (engine wise). Having said that it is also much more 'crashy' (as they say on Fifth Gear) over uneven ground a fact that I will get checked out on 28th Feb.

Maybe the 18" Ixions are not the best of ideas.

I may take a sneaky peak at the updated S60 whilst at the dealers!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oil

Imafudd,
Sorry I did not come back on the forum earlier.
In my experience the main stream oil companies produce to a specification, but they would have you believe their product is far superior to every one else's on the market.
Big Name Branded oils have been developed to run effectively between service intervals without issue.
In real terms your concern is unfounded, any minor adjustments will be carried out in your service.
Please do not be offended but I believe you have a perception rather than an issue;)
Secondly I would top up with the same grade oil every time.
My car is not a company car but it is used for work, I do very high mileages and I have never experienced the problem you describe.
I reckon after your service you will find the car much improved.:thumbup:
If in doubt talk it through at the dealer just to put your mind at rest

·
Registered
46 Posts
Oil useage

I have had my V40 D2 since November last year things where go well until earlier this week when I drove to my wife to the doctors [3.5 miles sat outside] when returned from there I drove back 4 miles to my local shop? I got stopped the car but fan run on over 10+ minutes and gave off a burning smell? check under the bonnet could not find any wrong:s but when the car cooled down I checked both oil & water? the water was ok:thumbup: but I went on to check the oil and low & behold and it showed it below half:dodgy: I sent my dealership email regarding this but they failed to get back in touch :huh: as it is a Motability car and only 3.5 months old I did not expect it to use that much oil:exclamation: So I rang them up today as it is first Motability car I have had that's has used over 55% of its oil:thumbdown: so tomorrow I have go to my dealers to collect 2ltrs of oil and the latter part next week the has to go in for inspection to see why its drank so much oil:( Not Happy:mad:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
......... but I went on to check the oil and low & behold and it showed it below half:dodgy: I sent my dealership email regarding this but they failed to get back in touch :huh: as it is a Motability car and only 3.5 months old I did not expect it to use that much oil:exclamation: So I rang them up today as it is first Motability car I have had that's has used over 55% of its oil:thumbdown: so tomorrow I have go to my dealers to collect 2ltrs of oil
You know your car but oil at below half level is not an issue. I would be surprised if there was an issue? Hope not anyway. Certainly don't just pour the whole 2 litres in. The manual states that if the oil is at the low level you should only fill up with half a litre.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.