Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Finally found some time to build in the Car-Solutions HD Link for Volvo.
See: https://car-solutions.com/nfs/product/863470/file/HDLINK-VOLVO-manual.pdf
This is a box that allows you to intercept the video signal and override it with different inputs.
It is fully compatible with the V40 and integrates into the normal dash (same buttons).

For the moment I am using an Android TV-Box (T95Z-Plus) as an input source, so I can run full android within the car.

There is a 7inch touch digitizer that I have placed onto the normal screen and plugged into the TV-Box.
With kernel module for it loaded. (Idea from here: http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/apple-carplay-for-audi-mmi-2g.html)

For now I did not connect the rear and/or front view cameras, so l will markt that as a TODO.
Another big TODO, is figuring out how to connect sound. As Volvo did not add it on my MY15.
I'm thinking of a wired FM modulator, to optimize quaity. Found one iSimple which looks good.

It's nice to see that with a bluetooth OBD2 dongle I can show engine data realtime on my screen (Torque Pro).

Let me know your thoughts.
Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Nice. Received the exact same model and going to instal it as soon as I find free time.
Plan is to add front camera, rear camera and also mirroring iphone.
About the sound, what is the issue? As I have bluetooth in my car is it possible that sound is sent from my phone via bluetooth like regularly and only the screen is mirrored?

Any other suggestions before I start adding it? :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Kapete1,

Cool. Let me know how you set things up. Since you can use any HDMI or analogue input source the options for video are virtually limitless.
Probably there are dedicated solutions (HDMI sticks) for screen mirroring. Haven't looked into it to much since my goal was to have a dedicated android box in the car.
If you are able to stream sound via bluetooth as normal, then I think it simplifies things quite a bit.

For me, I need to find a way to get my sound into the car sound system.
It sucks pretty hard that Volvo omitted the AUX in port. That would make our lives a lot easier feeding direct sound into the car.

I have researched a bit and these are the options as I see it now:
- Some brand sells a USB stick that you can plug AUX cable into. But they warn of lag (1second) which I think is unacceptable
- You can bypass the sound system completely by adding an additonal mplifier and adding a DSP unit, like the one AudioControl is selling (expensive...)
- Or I have bought a device from iSimple. It's a wired FM modulator. Meaning it does not transmit, but you have to intercept the antenna cable and feed signal into there.
The poblem I'm now facing is that the V40 has an antenna amplifier and I'm not sure if the iSimple unit can cope with that voltage and how to exactly connect it.
A possibility is to add it after the amplifier. Still at mental stage of making a plan for this :)

Anyhow, see some pics attached of the progress I made with integrating the system. Currently working on my external GPS module hack (to power it from the car), although this can be done by phone as well.
I also switched to wired ODB2 cable, which is much much better in terms of update speed compare to the Bluetooth version.

Suggestions, find enough time, disconnect battery, and be careful with the orange optical cables. Other than that its pretty straight forward.
There is a youtube video of a similar install here, different unit, but same idea:

Hope that helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for the reply!
Now I understand the issue with the sound. I probably will not run into the same issue because I'm mirroring my phone(yes use a simple cheap HDMI mirroring dongle) and all audio my phone is playing can be played via bluetooth. But this will not work for your Android box indeed.

Anyways I will keep you updated on the progress and also post some pics here :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you remove the glovebox compartement, you will see that there is plenly of space behind it.
The space between the fuse/distribution block and the what seems like a fan, is where I placed it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can easily do this in a day. Just take your time and make sure to be gentle on the interior.
Make sure you get yourself a plastic prying tool meant to remove interior parts. I ordered one from Volvotech (Schiedam).

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can easily do this in a day. Just take your time and make sure to be gentle on the interior.
Make sure you get yourself a plastic prying tool meant to remove interior parts. I ordered one from Volvotech (Schiedam).
they are very close to me. i will pick up one when i pick up the CFE Plus.
any chance you are close by as well. Would love to see your setup in person.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New piece of kit has arrived. Managed to source it for 15euro :)
It's a 600TVL camera that integrates perfectly into the lower part of the Volvo emblem.

For the reverse camera I have been looking into options and don't like the license plate mounted options.
Reason being it would be mounted way to low. It seems that next to trunk lid handle is a better space.
Also there is a slight indentation specifically for this.

Have any of you already found a good quality reversing camera?

I've now ordered this one:
That seems like one of the better cameras available on the market.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi guys,

I have been installing the video interface by car-solutions and also a backup camera.
I will hopefully share my progress here with pictures and links on the weekend. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
64 Posts
New piece of kit has arrived. Managed to source it for 15euro :)
It's a 600TVL camera that integrates perfectly into the lower part of the Volvo emblem.
Could you share the link? Did you actually try to put it into the logo?
I also bought one that was for the Volvo emblem, it was listed as fit to Volvo V40 but actually did not fit.
It was slightly too big. I think the V40 have the smallest Volvo logo possible.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Could you share the link? Did you actually try to put it into the logo?
I also bought one that was for the Volvo emblem, it was listed as fit to Volvo V40 but actually did not fit.
It was slightly too big. I think the V40 have the smallest Volvo logo possible.
Sorry, bought it from some local dude (second hand but new). Still not sure if it will fit 100%.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi all,

So I installed the same video interface as JohnieBraaf so I thought not to start a separate topic but will write my experience here.
https://car-solutions.com/en/video-interface-with-hdmi-for-volvo-of-2015-my.php

First why I decided to buy this unit:
- It can show the OEM parking sensors on the right while showing the reversing camera. Not all can do it, many cut just the picture and overlay it with the camera.
- It has possibility to add front camera with automatic switching to it when going from reverse to drive or parking to drive.
- It has HDMI so I can hook up HDMI mirror link dongle to show my phone navigation there
- Moving parking guide lines

So the goal was to install the mirror link, front camera, rear camera and also a subwoofer at the same go as all the panels/dash needed to be opened up anyways. The dash was easy to open, located the main unit where had to cut some wires to get power, ground and can bus for the interface. Screen was out with some screws and connected it to the interface. Everything wired up and ready to test within an hour or a bit more. Turned ignition on and hold down the OEM OK key to go into the interface settings and scrolled through it. As this worked then it means that the car is reading the CAN signals correctly. Nice, now let's start connecting the cameras. 

REVERSE CAMERA:
Then the first problem started to show. The rear camera could be seen in settings but would not start automatically when going into reverse. Interface homepage states "Automatic display of the image from the rear view or front view camera (depends on the gear)". 
Didn't get it to work at all so I had to use the optional Reverse Signal Detection cable that would start the reverse camera automatically.
This was a bummer as it meant extra work to get the signal from the reverse light(tried to get it directly from the gear shifter but didn't succeed). All this trying and building workarounds took again some extra hours of time.

But getting the camera mounted and passing all the wiring through the car took most time. Disassembling the trunk hatch was time consuming and you had to open up everything. Make sure to check the pictures. 
I installed the camera on the left(not right as the OEM camera) because on the right inside the panel it had some mounts for the OEM camera. It would be totally possible to mount it on the right also, but would need to cut some OEM mounts. As I was already running out of time because all the reverse camera automatic switching. 
Anyways, the mounting of the camera was easy and quick compared to the opening all the panels and getting the wires through. 
I had to drill a hole, but the right tool was even included with the camera.

The camera I used was this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32850638182.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dBsTnQo
the Sony CCD version and not fisheye. I actually had hard time to find a non fisheye camera from China. 
Actually I don't understand why all like fisheye on cars, I at least wanted as OEM as possible and OEM is not fisheye at all.
Even though I went for the not fisheye version it still had quite a bit wider angle than the OEM camera. While I'm comparing it to the quality exactly next to an OEM camera I can say that it is really good. Maybe the 2013 v40 camera I had next to was with a defect but the quality was really bad compared to my aftermarket OEM one. Nice, I'm happy :D

FRONT CAMERA:
Will talk about front camera in problems but I haven't yet mounted the front camera because I was short on time. I will update in some time once I install it. I will build a custom mount for it etc etc.

INTERFACE:
I like that the interface has settings to configure a lot. Move the guides, set camera as Full screen or with parking guides on right etc.

MIRRORING:

Currently waiting for the mirroring device.

SUBWOOFER:
Mainly done but some last things to do. You can check the progress under the other topic: https://www.volvov40club.com/forums/16-volvo-v40-modifications/36313-pioneer-wx70da-active-subwoofer-install.html

PROBLEMS:
As with Chinese products always you have to expect some problems and that they don't work as described. So now to the problems(some are minor things, some are real problems):

- Interface does not read gear from CAN BUS for manual cars(probably works with automatic transmissions). 
This is why I had to use the revers signal input wire at first. But the main problem is that if gear is not recognised for manual transmission it also means that the front camera will not be activated automatically when going from reverse to drive. 
The reverse camera had walk-around but for the front camera I now have to always turn it on by button press. That's basically one of the main problems I currently have and where I don't see a solution. 
Car-solutions said that yes, it is not supported for manual cars, but it was not mentioned anywhere in their documentation. Now arguing this with them.
- When going to front camera it shows on the top AV1. Why the f**** should it, it's not a TV. Not at all OEM feel -.-
- When engaging the reverse gear the camera and parking sensors don't come up at once. Usually parking sensors on the right come and go first, camera will take 1 sec longer. 
I'm a perfectionist and OEM would work in sync of course.
- When hand brake is applied and you engage the reverse gear the camera pops up but the parking sensors don't. So you end up with a stupid looking screen where you see the menu behind the camera picture. 
Yes, this situation does not happen usually, but you know, not like OEM ;)
- Not interface problem but, usual mirroring dongles for TV from China do not support such a low resolution so they will not work. Now waiting for a new dongle.

Anyways, hope all this text it is useful for someone and if you have questions make sure to ask. Will update you when some progress is done.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 48 Posts