Volvo V40 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Don't forget, if you have the Volvo bar fitted, you get TSA (Trailer Stability Assist) included in the cost. This allows the car to apply brakes to counter any rocking motion. Well worth the extra surely.
My caravan stabiliser will not work with the Volvo tow-bar, but I understand the TSA will work with any tow-bar providing the Volvo wiring kit is used?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So here's what the bar itself looks like:

Got to say that the whole thing behaved itself on the 240 mile round trip to Cadwell Park and back - not odd lights coming one and nothing snapped. :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm saying nothing!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Really smart Mr Fro.:thumbup:

Thinking I will opt for the same :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys, been lurking a while thought it time to make a first post....

I'm looking to mount a towbar on my R-Design so as to fit my bike rack but not sure what to go for....

What's the total cost for a retrofit from Volvo...? Is it still £550 all in...?

Also Mr Fro - my other option is to go PFJones route but worried about fitting myself.... Is it difficult to get the bumper off without damaging it? What about routing the plug to the drivers seat (if that's where it ends up)?

Cheers in advance, Jimmy

·
Registered
718 Posts
I don't know what a Volvo towbar costs now. When I got mine it was about the same price as an after market supplier. I chose to have mine fitted by the dealer, and haven't regretted it at all. I have the detachable bar which is not really noticeable when not fitted. Also be careful with the electrics if you go for a non Volvo bar.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's a shame, I'd like Volvo to fit the electrics as the warranty implications are better but I'd prefer the Witter bar below as there are no bumper cuts with that one so no need for the plastic cover.

tbh if i can convince myself that I can remove the bumper without damaging it and can find a route for the dedicated wiring plug without too much disruption I'm going to go aftermarket as it's about £320 so a fair saving but if I need it fitted that becomes £450 ish so comparible to the Volvo bar I guess.....

http://www.pfjones.co.uk/volvo-v40-hatchback-2012-on-detachable-tow-bar.html

·
Registered
583 Posts
Has anyone actually got the Volvo detachable towball fitted the the R-Design & can post pics.

Have ordered mine with & just worried it will look a pig now ?

·
Registered
382 Posts
This is easily resolved Jifen. Cancel the towbar and buy an old van for a few quid to do all your towing.

Result! You get to move stuff around easily and a Lovely V stays completely uncorrupted by a carbuncle on it's shapely rear!

Apologies to all those that read my previous post where I stated that I would mention this kind of thing again. I tried, I really did but they just keep pushing!

·
Registered
583 Posts
This is easily resolved Jifen. Cancel the towbar and buy an old van for a few quid to do all your towing.
Ha Ha - I do agree with you point of view

It was a last minute guilt trip and will only be used to carry a bike carrier. I have not taken my son out on the bikes at all since getting rid on the landrover (used to throw them in the back), I did plan to get one of those boot things until...

A week or so ago on the motorway three cars came past together, one with a towbar rack, one with a boot mount and one with a roof mount. That event alone led me to add one as it looked so more neater, clean and hassle free with a tow ball rack

·
Registered
718 Posts
I'm not sure how the R wears the detachable tow bar when not in use. My 'ordinary' D3 SE is fine. apart from the discreet cover you wouldn't know it was there.

Imafudd, you obviously have the spare cash and space to have an old van to use for towing etc.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Imafudd, you obviously have the spare cash and space to have an old van to use for towing etc.
I've managed all my life without towing anything behind any vehicle and I hope to keep this up. 'Er indoors has always wanted a caravan but I've been able to sideline that idea for thirty odd years!

Each to their own I guess!

I did see a caravan totally disintegrate in that dip in the M1 heading North towards Chesterfield. Not pretty!

·
Registered
718 Posts
I don't tow a caravan, just a racing dinghy

Reactions: Brigstowe

·
Registered
58 Posts
The technician got a bit happy with the disc cutter. They are replacing the valance tomorrow. I was a tad unhappy

·
Registered
58 Posts
id say the valance may only need a minor nibble to clear the mechanism, maybe, but with a steel rule it looks like it could run slightly, was a main dealer in for repairs after the fitted parking sensors wrong, so i wasnt having a great time with them, second rear valance in a week.....

21 - 40 of 45 Posts