Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a trip to Africa next year for my husband's birthday (it's a big birthday and it was his dream to continue). I hope to visit South Africa, including Kruger National Park, because we would like to go on safari there. His birthday is in September, but the trip could be anywhere from April to September or maybe later.

However, there is also a distinct possibility of being or getting pregnant in the next few months (part of the reason why we want to make this trip now!). I have not traveled to Africa so far, so I am not sure about the vaccination requirements and although reading, it seems that vaccinations as well as anti-malarial pills are not recommended for pregnant women.

Does anyone have experience with this? Does this mean that the trip is out if I get pregnant?

I would really appreciate any advice! Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I haven't travelled much in Africa, but just got back from two weeks in Asia at the end of my second trimester (mostly on a luxury cruise, but we spent days -- and ate meals -- in cities across India, Thailand, etc.). I was very careful about food -- as someone pointed out, you really don't want to get a stomach upset! The things I found that you need to think about / be prepared for are:
  • have lots of water with you
  • carry toilet paper
  • be prepared to be more tired than usual, don't plan too much walking

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don’t see a problem traveling while pregnant, in case you don’t have any health complications or issues. Moreover, most of the airlines allow pregnant women on flight before 38 weeks. Of course there could be some restrictions which vary from an airline to airline. I would like to share my traveling experience on 28 weeks on safari, Africa. Bumpy roads and extreme weather didn’t stop me to explore each sand and stone. In addition I flew with a hot air balloon Africa Safari around 1 hour feeling perfect afterwards. However, a properly chosen agency which will plan your trip accordingly to your situation, will spare you from small issues. For instance, I used the agency Penwell Safari which provided me the most luxurious camps and made itineraries perfect for a pregnant woman. Wish you a safe trip and take care of yourself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don’t see a problem traveling while pregnant, in case you don’t have any health complications or issues. Moreover, most of the airlines allow pregnant women on flight before 38 weeks. Of course there could be some restrictions which vary from an airline to airline. I would like to share my traveling experience on 28 weeks on safari, Africa. Bumpy roads and extreme weather didn’t stop me to explore each sand and stone. In addition I flew with a hot air balloon Africa Safari around 1 hour feeling perfect afterwards. However, a properly chosen agency which will plan your trip accordingly to your situation, will spare you from small issues. For instance, I used the agency Penwell Safari which provided me the most luxurious camps and made itineraries perfect for a pregnant woman. Wish you a safe trip and take care of yourself.
I have to try it also! After reading this I have the adrenaline pumping!:eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts