Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only had my V40 for a month, but have noticed that the fuel consumption shown on the trip computer is (as with all my other Volvos) well off.

For the first 3 tanks, very sedate motorway commuting, the computer was a bit optimistic (funny how manufacturers computers are always optimistic, never met a pessimistic one).

On average the trip computer would say I had done about 3% more MPG than I actually had.

This weekend I drove to Germany and back, so all fairly high speed motorway driving. I was amazed that I was still getting 55mpg. When I checked the actual MPG, I got around 48MPG. This is about 12% out. It seems that the faster you drive, the more inaccurate it is.

My previous car (BMW) had a useful hidden menu where you could calibrate the MPG figure. Once I had done this, it was always within +/- 1% of the actual figure, regardless of speed.

I know this is all ultimately sad, and I should just drive the thing, but I do get annoyed at the way car manufacturers get away with dishonesty (like the fact that the Extra Urban on the V40 should be better than my old BMW 116ED, but is actually 20% worse, even though it is driven in exactly the same way, but that is another matter).

Neil

·
Registered
382 Posts
Are you referring to the one in the 'Infotainment' system or the one in the TFT display?

I've never re-set the TFT and it states 58.1 and that is reasonably accurate as an average. I have set the infotainment one to reset for each journey (after a four hour break I believe).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is the trip computer on the TFT.But I think that the other one uses the same data, as I reset both at the same time, and they gave the same readings.Bottom line is that I calculate the correct figure by filling tanks brim to brim, and as usual, the Volvo trip computer is wildly optimistic at times.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I find that the infotainment & the TFT give the same figures, both are fairly accurate recording 61mpg, I too fill to the "brim" or the 1st click as you can't see the filler tube. Manual calculation tells me I'm getting 60mpg. That's a good mix of city, rush hour, motorway at varied speed ( two lots of 50 mph road works & a heavy right foot) and also country lane, between 30 & 60. I'm quite happy that information is accurate enough and much much better than the golf blue motion I had before, about 10% improvement on economy. That is taken over 2500 miles of comparing actual to computer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.