Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a disappointingly large number of reports of problems experienced with V40s. It would be nice if this could be balanced by reports of trouble-free V40s ~ variant, age, mileage etc.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
The trouble is, only disappointments are generally discussed! :) Sometimes faults exist in the mind of the user too! ;-)

My D2 has now done 13,000 miles and is almost 9 months old. It has been through its first service.

The car has been perfect from day one. It would be easy to moan about the Nav map upgrade taking over 4 hours to instal, but was that such a big issue? Not at all.

No paint issues (misty blue), steering issues, vibrations, suspension rattles or squeaks. None of the things reported on the forum here.

The car has performed faultlessly and looks as good as the day I picked it up from the dealer.

Simply great! The car looks stunning with no issues whatsoever. It is doing in the high 70's mpg wise saving me about £1300 per year in diesel compared with my last car.

The car is great!

·
Registered
196 Posts
70mpg? Hope we get there, sitting at 53.something after almost 1000 miles :)

So far so good, the only 'issue' we have is the USB playback needing the USB pen sorted by FAT :)

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Sadly I can't say happy things about mine. Miss my Mazda.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
On the average readout or the live readout? We frequently see 99mpg on the live, but the average is much lower.
The average. :D

The car is of first class quality in my opinion. I think the original post is misleading? There has not been a "large number of problems" reported. There have been a few mentioned here. I would not think that will be uncommon. ;):D The Internet is always rife with such things.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Although its fairly early days (I've had my T3 SE Lux for a month) its been totally trouble free so far. In that time I've done just over 2000 miles (including a run up to Scotland and back from Southern England)

I'm very impressed with the car as a package...(looks, build quality, handling, comfort & equipment) I'm particularly pleased with the T3 engine which has proved to be great fun to drive with plenty of grunt together with the obvious smoothness and refinement. The much lighter engine (compared to the diesels) is very apparent when driving sportily on B roads!

The MPG on the motorway run to Scotland at around 80mph averaged around 42 with 4 adults and full boot! Sitting at 70mph should improve the MPG to around 45 which is pretty good so it seems Volvo chose well with the Ford Ecoboost engine.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I was driving around yesterday and actually had one of those moments where you reflect on what you're doing. I realised I really really like this car.

I wish my consumption was better but in all fairness to Volvo, any car that does 400 miles in 4 weeks, and of that less than 100 was motorway, can expect rubbish consumption. I am looking forward to getting her out on the road proper and returning some decent figures. I don't expect 70's (maybe that will come when we visit Germany in October !) but I would like mid 50's.

Wife's Mini Cooper 1.6D returns 52-58 short trip town driving (depending on her mood!), I would want something similar to that.

As far as problems go, 4 weeks, zero issues. The items I highlighted have all been MY14 changes, not problems.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Before I went for the Volvo, I was seriously in love with Alfa Romeo Giulietta and I followed the Giulietta forum for a couple of months. It's hard to compare directly because the Giulietta is on the market since 2010 (meaning that there are quite a few more Giuliettas around, and they are older on average), but my guesstimated impression is that Giulietta owners had far more problems than people report on this forum, and more serious ones at that. Also more "Friday afternoon" cars, and cars that were brand new and broke down. In fact, this contributed to my decision to go for the Volvo (not as the key factor, but still).

Definitely wouldn't say there are so many problems with the V40.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
945 Posts
Some minor-ish issues with mine but nothing you could not also get on a Audi or BMW (I know as previous cars were Audi and BMW)

I do have a really annoying rattle on the drivers door card, anyone know how these come off?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Crikey, that's some figure! I'm guessing you do much less town driving than ours gets!
A lot of my driving is done on the motorway and duel carriageways such as the A1(M) and the A19. To be fair I drive the car frugally between 55 and 60mph. I tend not to accelerate harshly, I do all the things to mitigate fuel consumption such as gradual deceleration where possible. I drive 23 miles to work each day on motorway, there and back. Yes at 55mph it takes me a couple of extra minutes to get home. But the savings in my pocket each month are BIG and real.

Not so long back I did a round trip of a little over 200 miles mostly at 70mpg and the car did about 68mpg. Still very good.

All this and a fault free drive in a really comfortable car is great.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I just gone from North Yoorkshire to Shropsire, a 165 mile journey. I topped the D2 up with diesel before the trip and reset the on board computer. After 165 miles of journey the car tells me 85.4 mpg. 95% of the journey was motorway / duel carriage way. For most of the journey I maintained a speed of 56 mph. This journey took me only slightly longer than when I try to drive at 70 plus with the congestion on the motorway.

My trouble free Volvo has delivered high mpg from day one! :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Pfft :) I do notice there is a very small clink when lifting the clutch after changing into 1st and 2nd gear no idea if this is good, bad, indifferent etc.!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
And I just did the return journey, a total of 320 miles and it finished the round trip at 80.9 mpg. A trouble free journey. My V40 is pretty cool.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Kev, your economy is just awesome. Do you track the fuel usage on any websites?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I don't track it. I do track the £££s in my pocket though. I do similar journeys to my last car. The V40 gets filled up every 2 to 3 weeks. My old diesel was filled up every 5 to 7 days. Each car cost me a little over £60 to fill up. Do the maths. The D2 is saving me a lot of money. :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Do you track the fuel usage on any websites?
In my car I have an A6 notebook in which I keep records of all fuel purchased, together with the date and the odometer reading. Every month I then use Excel to plot graphs of fuel consumption against date and odometer reading. I do it just out of interest, not because I'm obsessed with driving economically. Fuel consumption is affected by the weather/season as well as the journey pattern and driving style.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Well I am proud to say I get a huge 38mpg out of my D4, I enjoy driving it as the guy who designed the 180bhp 5 cylider lump intended.

And before you all have a heart attach I only get 18mpg out of our lasses ST and this has to be run on Vpower due to the remap, but the extra cost of the fuel levels out as before the remap I only got 16mpg

I just hope polestar will hurry up with a map for the D4 as then I will have 200bhp and might even get 40mpg out of my oil burner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts