Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I took delivery of a Titanium grey D4 RD Lux with reverse sensors, dimming mirror and spare wheel two weeks and 1200 miles ago and decided to share my thoughts so far.

Cons (not many)
On the MY13 demo I drove you could keep the keyfob in your pocket, as you know MY14 goes in the dash, bummer.
DAB reception not as good as in my last car (Mondeo 2lt Ecoboost)

Pros (plenty)
Fit, finish and materials as good if not better than anything German.
Very comfy and supportive seats, excellent driving position.
The titanium grey looks very classy with the matching Ixions, everybody who looks at it says "thats not a Volvo!".
D4 engine pulls like a train. I do a lot of rural hilly driving and the 400 Nm of torque is most impressive whilst still showing a tank range of 700 miles!
Standard suspension manages to be both genuinely comfortable and taut at the same time with very little body roll or pitching.
I don't know if this is a pro but my teenage son and his cousins (think max power and nissan gtr's) love the TFT screen and the little pull open chunky cupholders in the middle of the back seat :huh: and of course the grunt out of the corners ( think wheelspin in third in the wet)

This is my first Volvo after 11 cars, the last 6 being company cars, and first impressions are very positive. I can certainly see myself running another one, lets see if I feel the same in three years time at the next change.

Rab

·
Registered
221 Posts
Post some pics, or add them to your garage :)

·
Registered
945 Posts
The keyless start was only with the Lux spec, I hate it (I always worry I will just press the button and get out and leave the key in the car etc.)

I have since found out it is a bit pointless on the V40 as you need to press the key to unlock/lock the car so not truly keyless

Re the power, how well does it pull say from about 1200 rpm, mine doesn't which can be a bit worrying when rolling up to a give way in 2nd, seeing a gap so put on the gas to pull out and then little happens, when it gets to 2,000 yes it pulls well but it reminds me of an old pretrol turbo with loads of lag not a modern day diesel turbo. I have just assumed it is a characteristic of the D4 as this is the only one I have driven as when I ordered mine (december 2012) no one even volvo themselves has a D4 (or T4 the other model I was considering) demonstrator so bought it on the basis of how the D3 drives (that pulled better from the lower revs)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Keyless start also on se spec. Personally I like it. It's a good feature. Just another small feature that when all collected together makes the v40 a very nice car. Far from pointless, it is a very convenient feature in my opinion.

I am amazed that you are saying there is not enough power in the car Denn1s. :)

·
Registered
945 Posts
The volvo is great compared to the A3 SLine 2.0 TDI I had before, now that was a boring drive!

The D4 does go, it just takes some winding up (a bit like me ;0) )

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pics now in garage.

I know what you mean Dennis but it would have to be near at idle speeds in second to be much of an issue at which point its either go for first or dip the clutch and a blip to waken the turbo up. By 1500 mine is already starting to pull hard and is still going strong at 3500 (havent ventured much past this as still low miles)

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
I was amazed by the fuel range however I did realise that the D4 has a larger fuel tank than the D2 so I don't feel so bad now ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i can't complain, my 700 mile range is made up of rural and very hilly B roads with about 10 motorway miles. A D2 would have to work a lot harder and that range would suffer as a consequence.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
i can't complain, my 700 mile range is made up of rural and very hilly B roads with about 10 motorway miles. A D2 would have to work a lot harder and that range would suffer as a consequence.
Just spent a week in a hilly location away from the motorway and the D2 performed very well indeed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a V50 R design 2009 , love the car, still looks good but i am toying with the D4 2013 with all the toys though i am still not convinced to trade in my V50 , I don't really need the space of the V50 but is nice to have. Can anyone make my mind up?

·
Registered
718 Posts
I changed from my 2006 V50 (2.4i Sport) last year. I didn't need such a big car, and the cost of buying and running a new V40 was about the same as running the V50. The V40 drives a lot better, and seems to have more punch, even though though the figures don't show that. The only problem I have is that I cannot get a golf bag and clubs in the boot, without folding one back seat down.
I have a D3 which I find to be more than adequate.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts