Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my D2 and I'm very disappointed at the noise levels coming through the car from tyres and the crashing noise when on uneven surfaces. This car is not a patch on my older C30 for noise suppression

·
Registered
37 Posts
setting eco pressures doesnt help either.
i have 18 inch wheels on my d2 and lowering the eco pressures by .4 bar helps the case greatly

·
Registered
37 Posts
45 profile, they look good but thats about it

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I can't say that tyre noise is an issue for me. Coming from a Mazda 3, now that had a lot of tyre noise, but the car also sounded like a coke can when you closed the doors.

Currently I am more irritated by all the rattles in the car, but hopefully the car goes in next week all the fixes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got my D2 and I'm very disappointed at the noise levels coming through the car from tyres and the crashing noise when on uneven surfaces. This car is not a patch on my older C30 for noise suppression
A week ago I received my new V40 D4 R-Design (MY13). A 400 km weekend tour around Stockholm, showed intense road noise from the cheeky 18-inch Ixion II wheels covered with Michelin 225/40 ZR tires, that felt almost intrusive and disruptive on rough asphalt, which is common in the Sweden. Maybe it’s because the car it’s quieter than my former V50 D5, in general, specially with the D4 engine, and therefore more noticeable. Maybe I’m also extra picky now when it is so new.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Danny.

At the recommended eco pressure of 38psi my R design D2 crashes and bangs along on the A and B roads around here in West Wales. I reduced the pressure to 33psi all round and the ride is now just about acceptable. The sporty look of the R design does look great. So its the price we pay for being 10mm lower and being on 18 inch low profiles. Undecided yet if its worth the trade off.

Peter

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have Bridgestone Touranza on my D2 and find the road noise very obtrusive on the new types of road surfacing (bandaging) that seems to be becoming the most acceptable means of re-surfacing. After a 2 hour drive my ears are ringing....

·
Registered
273 Posts
I could be wrong here as I can never remember what my tyre size is, but I've said this in another post that the car magazine Autocar, brought over from Sweden (c.Dec 2012), some top Volvo dogs and they concluded that for UK roads, do not touch the bigger wheels or Sports suspension with a barge pole i.e stick to the standard wheels and dynamic chassis and all will be well. Could be that you made the same "mistake" as Autocar?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hi Darren - I cant for the life of me remember my tyre sizes either but they are standard and the suspension is also standard. One thing I have noticed is that the wheel arch covers can bee seen from the engine bay - ie they are not encased in a steel arch as in most cars. You can scratch the top of them with your nails and they produce a load, plasticy sound. I imagine that when driving this sound is amplified within the engine compartment and then conveyed into the car as road noise. Just my thoughts. When Volvo have had their say I will suggest something like a sound-proof cover over these.
oldCroc

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have 224/4018's on my d4

I have to say I do not think the road noise or ride is harsh (I also opt'e for the sports chassis), it is all relivant I suppose if you have come from a family shopping barge they may seem noisy and harsh but I have run hot hatches on big rims and an Elise s1 for years so the v40 is farely mild in comparison

·
Registered
382 Posts
I tried reducing the pressure in my 18's and it made no difference and yes it does bang along a little!

Do larger wheels mean a bigger turning circle? I misjudged the hugeness of arc the V40 takes when performing a quick"U-ie"!

Does anyone know how much it costs to have a rim polished on an alloy?:mad:

·
Registered
945 Posts
You can not officially refers a diamond cut rim, I have heard and seen rims done by a bloke in Wakefield and they are about 90% there, but the othere issue is getting the satin paint finish right.

What I have done before on there style of rims on a minor kerbing is get some 250 grit sand paper and carefully sand the rough bit smooth, then polish it with some cutting compound, then paint over with some lacquer from a touch up kit, this will look about 75% assuming the damage is not great to start with say just over an inch to the outside of the polished rim.

Re the turning circle, it is terrible on the v40, I have not had a car with such a bad turning circle, the lotus and civic type-r from 04 (was said to have a large turning circle, are no where near as bad as the v40

·
Registered
945 Posts
The overall diameter and thus the circumference etc. will not alter as when you stick bigger rims on, you reduce the wall ratio to suit.

The turning circle is not biger due to the wider tires per say, it is because the wheels can not rotate to far around in the arches, due to clearance, that makes the turning circle bigger.

·
Registered
630 Posts
The turning circle is not biger due to the wider tires per say, ........
With wider tyres the centreline of the tyre is further out. Also the outside of the tyre is further out. Both factors will contribute to a larger turning circle. Just imagine the turning circle with these!
;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts