Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my car back from its second service with 11500 miles on the clock and have been made aware my tyres are getting quite worn.

The depths are as follows:
N/S/F _3_/_3_/_2_ O/S/F _2_/_3_/_3_
N/S/R _2_/_4_/_3_ O/S/R _3_/_4_/_3_

I'm guessing they're the measurements across the tyre from outer to inner on the N/S and inner to outer on the O/S? (She did say the insides were 2mm on the N/S).

Now to me this in general seems like rather excessive tyre wear for a car that isn't driven very hard (or only very rarely), usually only carries one person with no load in the boot and is running on the comfort/lower (not eco) tyre pressures.

As stated above the car has yet to even reach 12000 miles so I won't even get 15000 miles out of a set of tyres (I usually like to have them replaced once they get down to around 3mm). Also there is generally 1mm difference in wear between either outer and inner or outer/inner. What difference in wear would be considered excessive and therefore indicate a problem with tracking/balancing?

The car is running Michelin Primacy 3 225/45 R17 91W on all four wheels.
The car (as in signature): V40 R Design, MY15 T4 1.6L (180) with Polestar (200).

Has anyone else (I recall some talk elsewhere?) experience short tyre lifespan/increased wear on their V40? Particularly this tyre? (Appreciate this may vary with use/engine size).

I notice that Michelin Primacy 3 are about the best out there for this car in terms of road noise (which I would like to minimise) or are there any others?

I'm thinking of emailing Volvo HQ about this as the dealership claim (service advisor) that they aren't aware of such an issue and I personally think this is a bit excessive (or is it?).

Apologies for long post.
Ta
Dave

Sent from my  iPhone

·
Registered
766 Posts
seems we have the same tyre do about the same gentle mileage just got to 10000 in a year and nine months but only have the d2 engine and run on comfort, have to say that the outer fronts show wear on the outside edge I would think they are about 4mm but tomorrow ill check with a depth gauge, the rears are not even half worn across the tread so they can be considered ok for the mileage, but yours seems to me to be wearing quicker than they should for your make of tyre.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I manage to get 20.000 miles out of a set of fronts but thats it. Appointment made at tyre shop for tomorrow. It being a modified D4 it should chew through tyres even quicket than you t4 though. Might be age, I am 50 and tend to have a tad more control over my right foot than 20 years ago... :)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Just got my car back from its second service with 11500 miles on the clock and have been made aware my tyres are getting quite worn.

The depths are as follows:
N/S/F _3_/_3_/_2_ O/S/F _2_/_3_/_3_
N/S/R _2_/_4_/_3_ O/S/R _3_/_4_/_3_
What tyre pressures are you running? I know you said you weren't using the Eco pressures, but those figures with more wear on both the inner and outer shoulders compared to the middle suggest to me that they may have been running under-inflated.

You have just inspired me to go and check mine and I've got 3.5mm consistently across the tread on the Bridgestone Turanza T001s my car left the factory with in 2013. They have done 29k so far and since I've had it (it had done 13k when I got it) I've always run Eco pressure.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What tyre pressures are you running? I know you said you weren't using the Eco pressures, but those figures with more wear on both the inner and outer shoulders compared to the middle suggest to me that they may have been running under-inflated.

You have just inspired me to go and check mine and I've got 3.5mm consistently across the tread on the Bridgestone Turanza T001s my car left the factory with in 2013. They have done 29k so far and since I've had it (it had done 13k when I got it) I've always run Eco pressure.

Been running at 33psi all around (though admittedly there may have been a .5psi drop in a few or all of the tyres as I haven't checked them recently!). I mainly drop the pressures for comfort as it seems to improve ride quality a reasonable amount.

I did first wonder if tyre pressures have contributed to the seemingly quick and uneven wear. I can't see the tracking being knocked out already (had no massive impacts with potholes or kerbs recently!).

Sent from my  iPhone

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I did first wonder if tyre pressures have contributed to the seemingly quick and uneven wear. I can't see the tracking being knocked out already (had no massive impacts with potholes or kerbs recently!).
Yes, if it was a problem with the tracking you would expect it to wear on one edge or the other, not evenly on both:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll have to have a look with my tread depth gauge tomorrow to be sure what way around the depths are as listed above. If both front insides are 2mm then it must be an alignment issue? Otherwise I don't know!

How significant must the difference in wear on one tyre be to indicate an issue?

I'll get the depths myself tomorrow then might ring Volvo anyway. I understand the Michelin Primacy 3 is a soft compound so will wear quicker but to me they seem to have worn too quick. Perhaps it's just the way it is with this car and I'll have to stomach the cost of 4 new tyres but we'll see!!

Sent from my  iPhone

·
Registered
314 Posts
We got 19k miles from the first set of fronts on our D2 2.0 CC. Got it back from its 2nd service 36k miles do was told front tyres are on 2.8mm and one rear on 2.2mm it's the only original tyre left. Took it to kwik-fit and they measured them at just under 4mm on the fronts and 3.5 on the back one. Seems the dealership have a habit of misleading customers on tyre depths kwik-fit said some dealers measure from the top of the wear indicator blocks to mislead people.
I don't personaly trust kwik-fit so have checked myself and probably between the two readings is the truth.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Decided to go and double check for myself on the back of what you've said.

They're generally 1mm or more above what they've measured them at. I did measure from the wear indicators in places to see if that's where they've done it from and that doesn't quite add up think they must've just decided to knock 1mm off here and there to get some more tyres out of me!!

Part of me wants to believe it was an honest mistake (or that I've not done the depths properly - even I can't mess that up!) but I highly doubt it is. What annoys me is that they'll probably try and Fleece me with brakes pads and discs when they're not needed as well.

Sent from my  iPhone

·
Registered
322 Posts
Decided to go and double check for myself on the back of what you've said.

They're generally 1mm or more above what they've measured them at. I did measure from the wear indicators in places to see if that's where they've done it from and that doesn't quite add up think they must've just decided to knock 1mm off here and there to get some more tyres out of me!!

Part of me wants to believe it was an honest mistake (or that I've not done the depths properly - even I can't mess that up!) but I highly doubt it is. What annoys me is that they'll probably try and Fleece me with brakes pads and discs when they're not needed as well.

Sent from my  iPhone
Changed my fronts at 26,000 miles. Similar wear pattern to yours Dave, all different, but none of great concern, but down to 2mm at the worst position.
Could not replicate exactly the garages tread depth sizes (digital gauge), against my measurements, (fixed scale gauge)
Put the new ones on to the rear, and swapped the rear ones onto the front.
Had a front blowout just before Christmas, so replaced the front pair, mileage at 34,000. Tread at worst 3mm left.
And there I am thinking the V40 chews up tyres!!
Must admit the last few mm of wear, from previous measurements taken, did not last long. Whether the compound changes as the tyres wear I am not sure.
Pirelli P7 Cinturato 225/45 17 91W from new, and the same fitted as replacements.
Only gripe is excessive Road noise.

·
Registered
314 Posts
From what kwik-fit told me it's most dealers from all manufacturers not just Volvo dealers. One thing I was surprised by is the dealership told me I still had about 10k miles left in the brake pads I was expecting to need replacements as at 36k miles with it being a auto and driven quite hard at times on mainly twisting roads.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I must just add that my 2016 V40 T5 is factory fitted with Michelin Pilot Sport 3 and so far I am very impressed with their performance. I cannot comment the the wear at this stage as I have only done 15600km to date, but they grip well with very little road noise in the cabin.
My last car was a Nissan 370Z and that used Bridgestone REO's. They stuck like glue to the tarmac but the road noise was very noticeable even above the in-cabin noise from my modified complete exhaust system.(Fast Intentions, made in California, USA)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I may look into these as well. To be fair I'm now at 12500 miles and I still have around 3.5mm on the fronts and 4-5mm on the tears so still a bit of life left in them yet but I'm keeping an eye on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
322 Posts
I may look into these as well. To be fair I'm now at 12500 miles and I still have around 3.5mm on the fronts and 4-5mm on the tears so still a bit of life left in them yet but I'm keeping an eye on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you are thinking of changing all 4, I would swap the rears to the front, and then check again in about 4 months.
According to my manual, the rears should always have more tread, but I always thought you would be safer with more tread at the front, on a front wheeled drive car.
Hope you have not been pulling do nuts on the M1, with the concrete surface, east of Leeds !! Talk about road noise - it sure rattles my teeth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the Pilot Sport 3's on mine an I find them a touch louder than the Premacys on my old V40. This could just be down to the extra inch (18's vs 17's) of the Pilot Sport.

I would say that they are definitely a fair weather tyre, they've really struggled over the winter containing the D4's torque especially on those damp, greasy not quite wet roads that we get for weeks on end over the winter. A sharp exit from a T junction has to be very measured.

However dry road trip is impressive and they are showing good wear rates after 7k miles of sometimes pressing on driving.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thought I'd add a bit of an update to this.

Approaching 15000 miles now and still on the same tyres. That being said the fronts are now measuring between 2.5mm and 3mm on my last check to I'm going to get these replaced at the end of the month ready for winter (and have the rears swapped as they still have around 4mm). I'm a little happier that I've got more miles out of them than I imagined. The question now is are there any better tyres than the Michelin primacy 3 for road noise that anyone has noticed? From a quick look on black circles they appear to have the best rating so considering sticking with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
Might be worth looking at the Michelin cross climate+. It seems to get good reviews for general motoring and almost every comment mentions they are quiet.

I have found that the Goodyear Eagle F1 is quiet. The latest version 3 is better than the previous 2 by all accounts. A good tyre if you like to move along but wear will be higher and fuel consumption marginally down. Not so good in the cold however.

All a bit of gamble really. Good luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
I’ve got Dunlop Sport Blu Response on the front of my V40 and it reduced the road noise by a considerable amount over the factory tyres.

·
Registered
35 Posts
No don’t know if any one else has had this wear. But on both my v40s I’ve had a strange rumbling noise after 9 to 12 months. Both rear tyres end up with stepped or feathered tread blocks on the inside edge. M first v40 d2 r-design ran on Bridgestone tyres my new on runs on Michelin. They have both needed tracking adjustments, mainly on the rear but the fronts were close to the tolerance limits.
I needed to reduce the noise from the tyres caused by the wear, unfortunately this meant the tyres were removed with 4 to 5mm left on them. They had got to 26800miles but with out this wear they would have gone lots further, and this is in 15 months of use.
I’ve just put new on the front and fitted the older Michelin’s on the rear as winter is coming quickly.
Part of me thinks this is wrong as surly I shouldn’t need tracking done after a year (first service), but the way new cars use tyres 26800 isn’t to bad.
Most of my miles are weekly motorway journeys from Bournemouth to the midlands for work.

I wonder how many dealers ensure the tracking is spot on during the pdi. Having worked in several car plants I know they don’t have a lot of time to do this. Again in retrospect knowing this I should have take the cars for tracking on day one after collection, but I hoped the dealer would have done it.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I know this thread has been quiet for a while but it seems most relevant. I'm NOT impressed by my tyre wear!

Just had the main 2-year service today and the car has only done 10,500 miles, but the tyres are down to 4mm!
At that rate they'll be lucky to last the summer (I don't like to go much below 3mm).
I know I have a T5 with 4WD, but it's mostly driven gently by SWMBO. Tyre wear is even all round, no signs of any geometry issues.

I comparison to my other car (a big 4.2L V8) where I expect tyres to last 25K to 30 K this is pitiful!

The tyres on the V40 are Continental ContiSportContact, are they known for poor life?

I'd normally buy Michelin, so may be moving to Michelin CrossClimate (Plus) sooner than expected!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts