Volvo V40 Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Yes, "proper" winter tyres are usually recommended to have a greater minimum tread than summer ones, I think to ensure proper grip in snow with the special tread patterns.
That said, Michelin claim their All-Season tyres keep good grip down to very high levels of wear.
I usually changes tyres around 3mm anyway, but then both my cars I would class as "sprightly" so I don't take the risk of minimum legal tread.

As for low temperature days, on my other car which does have full summer and winter wheel & tyre sets, the winter set (smaller wheels, deeper tyres) go on when it gets cool (October usually) and stay on until it really starts to get warm, often well into May. And by then the serious pothole season is over and most are fixed so I can enjoy my big shiny diamond-cut summer wheels.

Winter tyres work fine when it's warm, it's just that the commonly-quoted "crossover" point is about 7C ambient. Above that summer tyres are somewhat better, and more so as temperature rises, but below it winter are better and very quickly dramatically so even just a few degrees cooler. So I play safe and keep winter tyres on longer than you might expect; remember, you're often driving around twilight and temperatures then, especially road surfaces in the morning, are much lower than in the middle of the day.
A friend of mine who lives in Londonderry has winter tyres on all year!

Another point is about wear, the "appropriate" tyres will wear less than the alternative. Summer tyres get hard and scrub off in winter and winter tyres get soft and will wear more when it's really hot, though they do still grip quite well.
So, once you've got over the initial investment in the extra set of wheels and tyres, ongoing costs may well be less.
Plus with a second set of wheels you can take your time and look for bargains when getting replacement tyres and/or having alloys refurbished.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Tones
From what I have read, Winter Tyres should be changed at 4mm remaining depth. Not sure if the Winter Rubber wears at the same rate as Summer Rubber, but probably steadier driving should save some rubber.
Sods law - this winter I purchased a Winter Wheel / Tyre Set - One day of Snow, and very few low temperature days !!
Previous car R Design D4 tyres lasted from 20,000 to 30,000 miles (Pirelli's)
Latest car CC D4- only 8,000 miles at present (Continental)
The tyres in question are my summer tyres - I'm having them fitted in mid-April so that I can drive to Ireland for my mother's 95th. The Volvo dealer checked them in advance and suggested new ones might be a good idea.

I'd guess that winter tyres would wear more quickly, given that they have a softer compound for better grip in cold conditions. Many folk tend to think of them as "snow tyres", which they manifestly are not - they are simply superior in the cold, wet conditions more common in winter. In Switzerland, their use is not obligatory, but having an accident in winter on summer tyres can be extremely hazardous to the health of your insurance policy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My T2 R 2018 has just done 16k miles and fronts almost down to markers, mixed driving but would have expected the Michelin premacy 3 to last a bit longer but reading this thread looks like I’m doing not bad

Anyway now looking to change fronts at moment and would like something to last a bit longer
Local tyre agent priced
Michelin cross climates at £114 each, will they last any longer or general tires at £80 each as had these on my last car ,focus 1.0 Zetec and lasted 35k
I know v40 is bigger in all aspects for tyre wear
Any recommendations or experience

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got my car back from its second service with 11500 miles on the clock and have been made aware my tyres are getting quite worn.

The depths are as follows:
N/S/F 3/3/2 O/S/F 2/3/3
N/S/R 2/4/3 O/S/R 3/4/3

I'm guessing they're the measurements across the tyre from outer to inner on the N/S and inner to outer on the O/S? (She did say the insides were 2mm on the N/S).

Now to me this in general seems like rather excessive tyre wear for a car that isn't driven very hard (or only very rarely), usually only carries one person with no load in the boot and is running on the comfort/lower (not eco) tyre pressures.

As stated above the car has yet to even reach 12000 miles so I won't even get 15000 miles out of a set of tyres (I usually like to have them replaced once they get down to around 3mm). Also there is generally 1mm difference in wear between either outer and inner or outer/inner. What difference in wear would be considered excessive and therefore indicate a problem with tracking/balancing?

The car is running Michelin Primacy 3 225/45 R17 91W on all four wheels.
The car (as in signature): V40 R Design, MY15 T4 1.6L (180) with Polestar (200).

Has anyone else (I recall some talk elsewhere?) experience short tyre lifespan/increased wear on their V40? Particularly this tyre? (Appreciate this may vary with use/engine size).

I notice that Michelin Primacy 3 are about the best out there for this car in terms of road noise (which I would like to minimise) or are there any others?

I'm thinking of emailing Volvo HQ about this as the dealership claim (service advisor) that they aren't aware of such an issue and I personally think this is a bit excessive (or is it?).

Apologies for long post.
Ta
Dave

Sent from my  iPhone
Hi
We have the v40 2.0 r design
Same problem
Michelin primacy from new
Done 1200 miles
Steady driving
Just had to change them
Volvo dealer says that’s normal!!!!!!
I’ve put some cheaper ones on
See how they fare
Ironically the guy at the garage I use says his wife has a bmw and her tyres are looking good on 24000 miles and she is a crazy driver

·
Registered
615 Posts
Hi
We have the v40 2.0 r design
Same problem
Michelin primacy from new
Done 1200 miles
Steady driving
Just had to change them
Volvo dealer says that’s normal!!!!!!
I’ve put some cheaper ones on
See how they fare
Ironically the guy at the garage I use says his wife has a bmw and her tyres are looking good on 24000 miles and she is a crazy driver
Same sort of ballpark here, my factory-fit tyres (can't recall brand) lasted about 15,000 miles and really were at end-of-life then.
That said, mines a 4WD T5 Cross-Country with Polestar "optimisation" and I don't dawdle!
I fitted Michelin Cross-Climates to replace them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Saw this thread and thought I would check mine.

My T2 shipped new last summer with Michelin Primacy 4's. Done 5750 miles and down to 5.5mm all round.

Assuming 8mm initially and a constant wear rate that will be just under 15K before they need changing, which is disappointing.
An update to this post. At 10K miles the fronts are on 5 and the rears 5.5.

No idea what's going on there.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Wow, Volvo really eats front and rears simultaneously, no need to rotate the tyres haha... All other cars I've driven, the front (due to FWD car) wears significantly quicker, and recomended pressures were always higher in the front, not with Volvo...
Seat Leon 2.0TDI @ 10k miles, 1335 kg, 5.0 fronts, 6.5 rears. Seat Ibiza 1.0TSI @ 10k miles, 1140kg, 6.0 fronts, 7.0 rears. I've not idea what my V40 is at now @ 3.5k miles, but it might be the first 24 month leased car I would have to change tyres before return!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just measured my tyre tread this weekend, using a 20p coin and checking out where it cuts of later using a ruler with the mm markers, perhaps it's not super accurate like the proper devices garages uses, it appears the fronts have about 6mm remaining, and rears 6.5mm. Why do the rears wear so quickly? Car is now @ 4000 miles, tyres are Primacy 4 205/55 R16 94V. T3 Auto 68 plate, tyre pressures F36 / R35.5 PSIs. So yes, Volvo eats tyres! Wonder if the wider 225s wear as much...

At this rate (assuming it came with 7.5mm new) by 12k miles, it would be around 3mm, which I would be time to look for good deals new tyres time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just measured my tyre tread this weekend, using a 20p coin and checking out where it cuts of later using a ruler with the mm markers, perhaps it's not super accurate like the proper devices garages uses, it appears the fronts have about 6mm remaining, and rears 6.5mm. Why do the rears wear so quickly? Car is now @ 4000 miles, tyres are Primacy 4 205/55 R16 94V. T3 Auto 68 plate, tyre pressures F36 / R35.5 PSIs. So yes, Volvo eats tyres! Wonder if the wider 225s wear as much...

At this rate (assuming it came with 7.5mm new) by 12k miles, it would be around 3mm, which I would be time to look for good deals new tyres time.
As per my post above you will probably find they don't wear at a constant rate.

You can buy tyre depth gauges on ebay for less than £2

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just got back mine from serivice @ 5700 miles,

O/S Fronts: Outer 5.3 / middle 5.8 / Inner 5.0
N/S Fronts: 5.6 / 5.8 / 5.0
O/S Rear 5.9 / 6.4 / 5.8
N/S Rear 5.6 / 6.5 / 5.9

Wonder if I will make it to 12000!

On the plus side, brake pads were only 5% worn with 5mm remaining, not sure if that's good or bad...I have a Geartronic T3

41 - 50 of 50 Posts