Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I've just come from a Civic Type R GT (the FN2 hot hatch) and gone for a V40 R D3. Family needs and like the car. I'm wanting some advice...

Had my car taken in for its first service. Volvo dealer collected - told my wife that there was a scratch around the headlamps - which is actually dirt - and then took the car. I then have it delivered back - of course post-paying. The next day (yesterday) in a 1-2 mile round trip journey - one mile of which was driving a pensioner home - I hear a scraping noise. I check - no plastic bags under there - and so I keep driving very slowly because the sound won't go away. After I park it back and call my dealer I notice:

1/ The underfloor try hanging down like a boxer's bottom lip
2/ There a scratch on one of the alloys (my wife noticed it and she never notices anything about cars)

So, after years of good service from Honda when I get a call back from Volvo - not an apology, no mention of a replacement car, the receptionist calls me rather than the service desk - and then they pretty much leave me for half the day waiting before any one calls (am still waiting) for them to advise me of them sending their technician. This is even though I spoke to someone at Volvo UK who was going to gee them along since 9AM and this is the last day of my holiday - what a way to spend it. I'm hoping they don't send the person who serviced the car and compensate for the loss of time.

I *hate* complaining but I want to know if this is the kind of service that generally goes with owning a Volvo, and rather than have steam coming out of my ears, and bad-mouthing the Dealer or have I just picked a bad one?

The underfloor tray is literally gaping down - is it reasonable to expect a replacement? What's the best thing to do about the alloy wheel since the person who collected the car never mentioned them when taking the car? One wheel does have a scratch that I did - minor kerbing, but this new one is actually inside the wheel.

Thanks for your replies - Really want to like my new Volvo.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear of your poor service experience. Such experiences certainly aren't the norm but, as others will attest, some dealers are better than others.

If the undertray is damaged then they should replace it; likewise if they have damaged an alloy then they should at least arrange for it to be refurbished.

Call the dealer, speak to the Service Manager (not an underling) and see what he/she says.

Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks techwatcher,

They sent someone around about the undertray - it wasn't from the number of screws the technician put back - fitted back on properly.

He said, he didn't do it and, he would mention it when he got back to the garage.

Will update - thanks for taking an interest.

Once this is all sorted I can start loving this car!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Service desk apologised when I called...because the engine coolant light came on twice two days after a service. They've agreed to refurb the wheel and top up the coolant in two days.
Honda UK also apologised.

Will breath a sigh of relief when it's done. Will confirm. :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
This is the "hit and miss" element which keeps it behind "Germanic"...dealer satisfaction and continuity, without a doubt. cheers

·
Registered
62 Posts
Some dealers are good, some are bad, some are in the middle. Good ones make mistakes, bad ones sometimes get it right. This is what I've found over 20 years of motoring. At the end of the day, it is mostly down to luck (or lack of).

Good to hear they are trying to sort everything out.

I know nothing about my local dealer (Sturgess of Leicester) as I haven't recieved my car yet and this is my first Volvo - so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hope it works out for you MJ. Spot on. I'm hoping I've got a good dealer now we've gone through the pain points so early.

Looking forward to saying the same about my D3 Darren ('love it!').

·
Registered
718 Posts
This is the "hit and miss" element which keeps it behind "Germanic"...dealer satisfaction and continuity, without a doubt. cheers
Don't believe all dealers of German cars are good. I've heard of one where the accountants rule the roost. :)

Reactions: earlofsodbury

·
Registered
55 Posts
Don't believe all dealers of German cars are good. I've heard of one where the accountants rule the roost. :)
Just so - read any marque-specific forum and you'll see similar stories of excellent all the way through to frankly borderline criminal behaviour from dealers of any make you care to mention.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had good and bad experiences from just about every dealership irrespective of marque. The exception being the Lexus dealer where the service was never anything other than excellent.

However my worst experience ever was at a "Germanic" dealer. Absolutely terrible and this was despite me being on my 3rd new car from them!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.