Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
I acquire a 32GB SD card specifically for this. Just started the download, it says 3 hours to go!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Mine is currently downloading..

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've downloaded the files to a freshly formatted 32Gb USB stick and put it in the car. It starts the update but then fails, saying the USB is unreadable. This has happened about 8 times now in the past 3 hours that I've been trying. And now if I take the USB out the car asks for "USB1" and the infotainment system is useless.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've downloaded the files to a freshly formatted 32Gb USB stick and put it in the car. It starts the update but then fails, saying the USB is unreadable. This has happened about 8 times now in the past 3 hours that I've been trying. And now if I take the USB out the car asks for "USB1" and the infotainment system is useless.
Try putting usb back in pc and getting volvo downloader to check the files.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I acquire a 32GB SD card specifically for this. Just started the download, it says 3 hours to go!
Downloaded to Hard Disk, copied to USB, currently verifying. Will try install tomorrow.
Last time it worked fine but wary given others comments in this thread! :surprise:

·
Registered
942 Posts
Heya mcintyre...
Is the thumb drive formatted in the FAT32 filesystem?
The V40 has issues reading the windows default NTFS format!

>>Just saw your last post so I guess it must be if it's reading it ok! Good Luck!<<

·
Registered
757 Posts
Mine didn't want to play with NTFS. First time I did this I only had a 64GB device and windows wanted to format that as NTFS or exFAT, neither of which worked.
In the end I formatted it as FAT32 with a non-MS utility and it worked fine. Since then, as noted above, I bought a 32GB SD card (and USB adapter) kept specifically for this job.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Weird, usb device verified OK but when I plug it into the car nothing at all!

Edit: OK, not a car problem, the USB/SD adapter has failed. Was OK yesterday, but that's cheap Chinese kit for you!
Job can wait....

·
Registered
59 Posts
It was formatted as FAT32 yes, and would read so far then fail, then I'd press exit and it'd start from the beginning and fail at some point. It seemed to get a slight bit further every time until it finally finished.

What's worrying is that if the update fails for any reason you're left with a useless infotainment system. I'll not be in a hurry to do that again.

On the plus side, during all this I contacted Volvo UK head office for support and they've offered to get a USB stick with the update on it to me on Monday if needed, so 10/10 for support.

·
Registered
757 Posts
OK, not a car problem, the USB/SD adapter has failed.
Found a spare empty USB hard drive with nothing on it already FAT32. About 500GB I think!
Copied the files/folders to it, verified with the Volvo app and plugged it in - seems to be updating, says it will take about 90 minutes! :wink2:
Seems to be running pretty slowly, judging by the progress bar. Several hours looks likely but so what? Probably because it's an old slow device, physical hard drive.

Not sure what the recommended sequence is but I just turned the car on but didn't start the engine then took the key out once the update started. Seems happy to carry on.

·
Registered
718 Posts
It will carry on until the Infotianment system shuts down after about 20 mins, then you have to turn off the ignition. When you turn it back on the update will continue. Mine only took about 90 mins this morning. Had a few local runs so it was a bit stop start but it updated OK
The longest bit is downloading the update from th einternet. It took about 4 hours so I set it to do it overnight.

·
Registered
757 Posts
The system doesn't shut down while updating if you do as I did, just take the key away while the car is "on" (engine not running).

Mine's all done now, though it did take a while (3 hours or so) due to my slow, large hard drive. But I'm pleased the vehicle does supply enough power to run a USB hard drive, not just memory sticks.

·
Registered
217 Posts
These nav updates are getting stupid. I am pretty certain SWMBO's V40 will never visit 85% of the countries listed. So why can't we choose the countries we want?

I have the same issue with my Skoda systems. We live in a not spot with very slow internet speeds so just downloading the files is a mammoth task.

Humph.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts