Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 2013 Volvo , So when I was buying it when I put the registration plate on DVLA website it was saying he has a digital display and the satnav radio but it wasn’t the case and it’s got everything analog and is very minimal.
Is there a way to upgrade it by uploading software to make the dashboard change the colours and all of that?
Speedometer Odometer Vehicle Gauge Trip computer

Many thanks for suggestions!
Kind regards

·
Super Moderator
713 Posts
Nothing is ever impossible, but it won't be easy.
You would need a new (or used) digital dashboard
Probably a new wiring harness
Software.

To prevent theft of parts for resale Volvo code the parts to each other, so if you were to just swap the bits it wouldn't work.

Some parts (I can't remember if the dash is one of them) are set up so that once they have been installed in a car they won't work in another. That has the advantage that it deters theft, but unfortunately means if anything goes wrong you have to buy a brand new uncoded part and then get it paired to the car by Volvo (or someone with Volvo's software)

·
Super Moderator
713 Posts
There is no software than will change the colour of your present dashboard.
The centre are is illuminated by a white light shining through a dark coloured LCD (bit like a calculator)

Reactions: genetic

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have to disagree with the above replies. You should be able to fit a used TFT cluster from another V40. It must be from a car that has the same type of gearbox, i.e. manual or automatic. You have to use VDash software to program the cluster to your car. The software includes a TFT wizard which automates much of the process. It isn't free, and I've no idea on the current cost, but is is cheaper than the cost of a new DIM install by Volvo (see below). It will be shown somewhere on the D5T5 website (the authors of VDash) but it is also shown in the software if you select the TFT Wizard and add it to your cart. You first have to crack the CEM pin code with VDash, which allows the software access to the programming function in the CEM.

There is a very long thread on the Swedespeed forums about VDash, CEM pin cracking and TFT installation. It is well worth reading from start to finish if you are considering the change.

It can also be done by a Volvo dealer, but only with a new cluster, and dealer charges for labour and the software upgrade. The cost seems to vary between £500-£1000, or at least it did when they used to advertise the installation.

The TFT display has three fixed colour options that are allocated to the display styles selectable on the DIM - Performance (red, or blue on the R-Design models), Eco (green) and "standard" - I forget the name of the last one (grey).

VDash again also has a recently introduced option to change the colour of the performance theme to virtually any colour you like. Unfortunately, that doesn't work on all DIMs. There are some differences in production, which don't affect the ability to install them in cars with an analogue cluster, but do prevent the instrument colours being customized. Mine is one of them - a 2017 DIM - and VDash have no way around that at present.

·
Super Moderator
713 Posts
The TFT display has three fixed colour options that are allocated to the display styles selectable on the DIM - Performance (red, or blue on the R-Design models), Eco (green) and "standard" - I forget the name of the last one (grey).
I think that depends on year, on my late 2014 R-Design, Red was performance, Blue was elegance and Green was eco.
But if you had a V40CC the elegance colour scheme was brown not blue.
Also there was a "contrast" mode which almost, but not exactly, reversed the schemes (ie what was red became black and vice versa - but not everywhere... it was weirdly hard to explain)

Reactions: RS3100

·
Registered
MY17 V40 2.0 D2 Momentum Nav + Passion Red, Winter Pack, Power Seats and TFT Display
242 Posts
I have seen this done and it is fully possible, can't find it right now but I've seen on YouTube someone doing this to a V70, required some adaptions as I recall and you'll need vdash to alter settings, some options might not be available after the install like the electronic dipstick etc, some it works with some it don't.

Jason

·
Registered
582 Posts
Also there was a "contrast" mode which almost, but not exactly, reversed the schemes (ie what was red became black and vice versa - but not everywhere... it was weirdly hard to explain)
On my car, the contrast mode increases the contrast between dark and light areas of the display, and dims the colours slightly, so the red, green or grey theme is still present, but the colours are less vibrant, more in the background.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have seen this done and it is fully possible, can't find it right now but I've seen on YouTube someone doing this to a V70, required some adaptions as I recall and you'll need vdash to alter settings, some options might not be available after the install like the electronic dipstick etc, some it works with some it don't.

Jason
It's fully possible. I've done it to my car, MY2017, and everything works as it should, no issues at all. I've not seen any reports of issues with the electronic oil display or similar, as long as the VDash installation wizard is used. On some models such as the V70, some TFT DIMs will work without the software programming - so just a straight swap - but it's often the case that some of the functionality will be missing if not programmed. That may be where the oil display issue arises.

The other issues are with earlier cars, and a 2013 V40 might fall into that category. You would need to read the Swedespeed thread from start to finish (I think there are over 1000 posts in it) to be certain. But on those cars, it's necessary to make a small change to the DIM wiring, or the gear change indicator and fuel gauge may no longer work. There are also occasional issues where the fuel gauge works in reverse after the install, but D5T5 have a fix for that which they can prepare and upload separately if necessary.

Edit to add: Link to the Swedespeed thread. Currently 2224 posts and counting :D

·
Super Moderator
713 Posts
On my car, the contrast mode increases the contrast between dark and light areas of the display, and dims the colours slightly, so the red, green or grey theme is still present, but the colours are less vibrant, more in the background.
That's what I was trying to explain - but after a few drinks celebrating with a friend getting a new job it just didn't come out right!

• Haha
Reactions: RS3100

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have an early 2013 R Design with digital dashboard but honestly I have it set to look like the old analogue dash.
The rest is just a gimmick. I only use the speed indication really. I just let the car do it's thing even in sport mode :)

·
Registered
MY17 V40 2.0 D2 Momentum Nav + Passion Red, Winter Pack, Power Seats and TFT Display
242 Posts
Quite like the elegance setting, just wished it had a digital Speedo in that big black space, I know I can use the performance option but like the rev counter to the side. Suppose they can't custom it to everyone's taste.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, you can. I did at least 10 of these clusters this year, the last one being yesterday.
  1. You will need a working TFT (either used or you can go full bore and buy a new one from Volvo) from another V40. It's best if it's from the V40 because the TFTs from other models are of different shapes and you will not be able to mount it properly. Although that, I've done 3 retrofits using V40 clusters into other models - all you need is the fascia, it's the only difference between the V40 clusters from the other models.
  2. You will need a DiCE unit. Chinese clones from aliexpress or eBay will work fine. Or find some used one locally, or rent from anyone for a few days.
  3. You need to download VDASH from d5t5.com and create an account.
  4. A pair of wires, about 80 cm long will be needed as your car is made before 2014 and that pair of wires isn't installed already. The two wires will go from the DIM socket to the OBD socket.
  5. Money. The current cost for the retrofit is 144 euros for cars with Sensus (with the TFT display above the central panel) or 244 euros for cars without the Sensus. Time - around 16 hours on average.
  6. Time. Although the actual programming of the new TFT only takes about 20 minutes (for that you will have to pay the earlier-mentioned price), the long process is the cracking of the CEM pin code to enable configuration changes. Some cars only take 4-6 hours, while others will take up to 20, it's totally random. The last one I did to a 2010 XC60 took me 28 hours, don't know why. I would recommend ensuring a proper internet connection and a powerful laptop or PC, whatever you will use, but even the old PCs will do the job. I must note that the CEM pin cracking process is a one-time job and it's totally free. If in the future you will decide to change other futures in your car you won't need to decode the CEM again.
  7. A battery tender. At least a 15 Amp one will be needed to ensure the battery is charged. You will need to keep the ignition on for all those long hours, which will drain the battery quite much (average draw is about 7 Amps constant).

And, in fact, you can now change the Performance theme color from red to blue (or others, haven't got a request yet) and you can change the boot logo if you wish.

Feel free to ask any questions.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Although the actual programming of the new TFT only takes about 20 minutes (for that you will have to pay the earlier-mentioned price), the long process is the cracking of the CEM pin code to enable configuration changes. Some cars only take 4-6 hours, while others will take up to 20, it's totally random.
It's a brute force cracking process. It throws all possible combinations of valid PINs at the car until one works. You might be really lucky and the first PIN thrown at the car works. You might be really unlucky and it's the last one, so VDash has to keep sending PINs until it finds the right one. The speed of your internet connection and computing power also have an effect, because groups of PINs are downloaded in batches. VDash has to try them and report back the results, then fetch the next batch if unsuccessful, report again, etc. until it completes. When I first tried I used my old laptop which has several car diagnostic softwares installed on it, because it was easier to take that out to the garage. I hooked it up to an ethernet connection and started the cracking process. 3 days later, VDash was still giving me an estimated completion time of over 7 days. So I dismantled my desktop PC and moved it to the garage, hooked it up to the car. The cracking process completed in a couple of hours.

And, in fact, you can now change the Performance theme color from red to blue (or others, haven't got a request yet) and you can change the boot logo if you wish.
You might be able to change the theme colours. My DIM, originally from a 2017 V40 built the same year and month as my car, was reported as unsupported by VDash when I attempted the theme colour change. Yet it installed in my car using the TFT wizard. David at VDash at first told me it must be an old unsupported DIM, but it's newer than many of the DIMs that have worked. Now it turns out there are several versions of DIM firmware. The theme colour change process only works with one of them, and I get the impression from VDash that they're not about to include unsupported DIMs in the process any time soon. I've seen quite a few reports of the same problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts