Volvo V40 Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
643 Posts
It is also explained well by Buzby as shown below

If you are going from 16" to the 17"x7J Ixion R Design wheels, the steering rack limiters do not need to be fitted (they are only required qhen 7.5J or 8J wheels are fitted due to potential rubbing issues). The 'Impulse Limiter' software application still needs to be downloaded to recalibrate the speedo though, as the wheels and tyres are not exactly the same rolling radius.
The two approved sizes for the 16" V40 rims are:
195/60R16 gives 800.0 revolutions per mile
205/55R16 gives 811.3 revolutions per mile
The 2 approved sizes fpr the 17" V40 rims are
205/50R17 gives 805.1 revolutions per mile
225/45R17 gives 808.2 revolutions per mile
See this link for the list of approved wheel and tyre sizes:
http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-mt/V40(13-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-499025/2017

Regarding the tyre sizes, if your car is a "zero road tax" low-emission D2 it should only be fitted with the 205/50R17 tyres. If it's not a low-emission D2, 225/45R17 tyres can be fitted as an alternative
It's all explained in the relevant page on the Volvo Accessories website:
http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-mt/V40(13-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-499017/2017

Note that I've had to go to the Volvo Malta accessories site there - Volvo UK and Volvo International have reworked their model accessories page system now that makes it painfully slow to use, and has also removed all the important information from view by the public. It now just tells you to check with your Volvo dealer for full compatibility information.
When you change a wheel for a bigger one (and at the same time reduce the sidewall height) the rolling diameter does not remain the same, the software compensates for this to display the correct speed on the speedo.

·
Registered
505 Posts
When you change a wheel for a bigger one (and at the same time reduce the sidewall height) the rolling diameter does not remain the same, the software compensates for this to display the correct speed on the speedo.
Yes, that's a separate software "upload" to the steering range modification. It's also interesting that most of these software "uploads" (which in Volvo's literature suggest a modified file being written to the ECU) are actually just a single byte change to the configuration file in the car. In many cases, the routines already exist in the ECU software in the car, the "upload" just changes a single byte which tells the ECU which of the routines or options already present to consult for the correct configuration and operation of the component.

I know from VDash that there are quite a number of tyre circumference options programmable to the vehicle. As with most manufacturers, so as not to fall foul of legislation preventing the speedometer from under-reading true speed, the speedometer is programmed to read up to 10 per cent fast. That is the situation on my car, which reads 32 mph at a true 30 mph and 66 mph at a true 60 mph. I measured the rolling circumference of my tyres and compared them to the value stored in the car. I found that I could reprogram the rolling circumference in the CEM so that the car speedometer would read more accurately, as there was an option in the menu much closer in value to my actual tyre measurement, but a couple of things stopped me:

I felt that if the speedometer read true, whilst in some ways desirable, I might still drive a couple of MPH over the limit. At the moment I do that subconsciously, knowing that by doing so I am actually driving at the limit, but changing the config would leave me having to keep a much closer eye on the speedometer.

I have also seen reports that changing the calibration through VDash can cause cruise control and similar systems to fault. This seems to happen only on cars with automatic transmission though. I think it is because, on auto box cars, the transmission ECU (TCM) also needs to be reset if the rolling circumference is changed in the CEM. It shouldn't be an issue on manual cars because they don't have a TCM. The TCM reset isn't available through VDash though, so is a dealer job via VIDA, which a Volvo dealer would presumably carry out as part of the circumference reconfiguration anyway. That shouldn't affect me as I have a manual box, but even so, after some deliberation I decided not to bother!

Anyway, from the point of view of wheel and tyre changes, theoretically you could be going back to your dealer twice a year for the tyre circumference to be reprogrammed if you swap between summer and winter wheels and tyres. It's usually possible though to find a wheel and tyre combination which will maintain the same rolling circumference as the existing wheels and tyres, to within a couple of percent. In that case, it might not be strictly necessary to reprogram the car, as with wise choice and a bit of maths, the difference could be contained within the built-in margin of error for the speedometer ;)

·
Registered
Volvo V40 D3 Polar+ Sport | 2019
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have send an email to my dealer asking what they recommand! Will notify when I got an anwser back!
I have received a reply from my dealer! They say upgrading the 17 inch to 18 inch is no problem. How ever the car does need a software upgrade for 2 reasons. First reason is that the speedometer will display the right speed with the new tire dimensions. Second reason is that the parking assistance pilot also needs to know the tire size to function correctly.

Also installation of the steering deflection limitier is required. Installation instructions can be found here. This will cost 125 euro's.

The Ixion IV" 7.5 x 18 wheel set with tires (michelin primacy 4 | 225/40/R18) and TPMS are available at my dealer for 1995 euro's (At the time of writing this ;)).

There is no problem using the 17 inch rims with winter tires after upgrading to the 18 inch set. Software does not need to be updated. The dealer says this is very common.

·
Super Moderator
643 Posts
I have received a reply from my dealer! They say upgrading the 17 inch to 18 inch is no problem. How ever the car does need a software upgrade for 2 reasons. First reason is that the speedometer will display the right speed with the new tire dimensions. Second reason is that the parking assistance pilot also needs to know the tire size to function correctly.

Also installation of the steering deflection limitier is required. Installation instructions can be found here. This will cost 125 euro's.

The Ixion IV" 7.5 x 18 wheel set with tires (michelin primacy 4 | 225/40/R18) and TPMS are available at my dealer for 1995 euro's (At the time of writing this ;)).

There is no problem using the 17 inch rims with winter tires after upgrading to the 18 inch set. Software does not need to be updated. The dealer says this is very common.
I knew that there would need to be an update for the speedo, but it is useful for everyone thinking about up-sizing the wheels to know that it can affect the park assist pilot.

Reactions: Terag and Stealth

·
Registered
98 Posts
Don’t know if it matters to you but here’s my 2 cents: I once had a V40 T5 with the 18“ Ixion wheels and the appropriate modifications (because the car was delivered with these wheels). I‘m now back on my old D4 with 17“ Ixions. While not as sporty to the looks, this combination is far better to drive fwiw.. The 18“ combined with the limited steering is a joke in parking situations, the car felt maneuverable like a school bus, not a sporty hatchback.
The 17“ Ixions (which I got used on ebay) are quite a good compromise imo, they look bigger than they are..
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car

·
Registered
Volvo V40 D3 Polar+ Sport | 2019
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
What are your thoughts on these wheels? They are 18 inch with 225/40/R18 Tires. They are original volvo wheels from a XC60.
I can get these new for 900 euro (No tires). Same price as aftermarket wheels, however I don't think that the aftermarket wheels will be the same quility.
They are a bargain compared to new Ixion IV wheels!

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
2017 R Design D2
700 Posts
Personally I like them... and the idea of other models donating wheels, looked at the 18" xc40 rims for mine, and previously had Astra GSI wheels on a Cavalier. :)
Unless the aftermarket items are from a decent brand, OZ, Borbet, Compomotive, Ronal to name a few I'd steer clear. The copy Ixion 4's from China weigh as much as a small house and will ruin the drive

21 - 28 of 28 Posts