Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, im from Chile and trying to upgrade from 5" to 7" screen.

Im trying to do this: http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-gb/V40(13-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-480011/2014

I have a 2014 V40 T4, with Infotaiment Level 1 - High Performance (Radio/CD/USB/Bluetooth, 5" screen, 4-channel AUD amp module).

So, Im trying to install the 7" screen without paying a lot of money to my dealer (Here the parts costs 5x or 6x). I bought an used panel for 7" (Part code: 31393108).

The problem is: Searching for second hand Volvo V40 7" screen i found a lot of part codes for the same product, and I cant found the Part code 31357076. So, i really dont know witch screen buy.
Ive seen this:

1) This is from a XC60 2012 http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2015-VOLVO-S60-XC60-DASH-INFO-DISPLAY-SCREEN-31337643-/252312586380?hash=item3abf00888c:g:h9AAAOSwAuNW3fQw&vxp=mtr

2) This is from a V40 http://www.ebay.com/itm/401050708752?euid=d8c972c76fd643d1abc3928eb83293c5

PS: I know that installing a second hand 7"screen doesn't work and i need to go to the dealer tu recode the screen by VIDA and install the software to control the 7" screen. (Is this possible?)

PS2: If in the future I want to add GPS, I need to connect only a GPS antenna to the screen or I need another component?

Thanks guys, i dream with 7" screen and gps, but sensus connected touch cost too much money.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Adding GPS will not be possible you need the high performance audio as minimum. Either you need to get sensus connect or live with what you have.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apologies should have said high performance multimedia. To get sat nav

Understood, then after installing the 7" screen should I install the sensus connected touch to get GPS? Or exist the form to transform High performance audio to high performance multimedia?

·
Registered
183 Posts
As far as Im aware you need level 2 to get sensus connected touch and an upgrade to high performance multimedia is not possible as the system is to locked down

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hello, im from Chile and trying to upgrade from 5" to 7" screen.

Im trying to do this: http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-gb/V40(13-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-480011/2014

I have a 2014 V40 T4, with Infotaiment Level 1 - High Performance (Radio/CD/USB/Bluetooth, 5" screen, 4-channel AUD amp module).

So, Im trying to install the 7" screen without paying a lot of money to my dealer (Here the parts costs 5x or 6x). I bought an used panel for 7" (Part code: 31393108).

The problem is: Searching for second hand Volvo V40 7" screen i found a lot of part codes for the same product, and I cant found the Part code 31357076. So, i really dont know witch screen buy.
Ive seen this:
You can't buy part number 31357076 new from Volvo anymore. That part has been superceded by part no. 36001983.

This is an S60/V60/XC60 ICM (the screen is called the Infotainment Control Module).The part number in the listing is the hardware and firmware combined, which is not how they are listed on Volvo's parts system. They use the hardware part number, which is is written vertically on the right hand side of the label (which is obscured by the cut-off plugs). For an XC60 the hardware part number is 31328248, which has been superceded by part number 36001980. This is a different part number to the V40 part, so although they look the same, there must be something different about them and I assume it wouldn't be compatible.

This ICM has the correct base hardware number for older version of the V40 ICM (31357076) written vertically on the side, but it more than likely won't work (see below).

PS: I know that installing a second hand 7"screen doesn't work and i need to go to the dealer tu recode the screen by VIDA and install the software to control the 7" screen. (Is this possible?)
Unfortunately not. Once a module has been used in a car, it usually cannot be transferred to another car as there is a security feature built into the system that locks the modules to the car by ID numbers that were burned into them when the car was built. In the case of the Audio system, this is called MOST Bus Security (the MOST Bus is the optical fibre network the modules use to talk to each other).

The ICM is the controller of the MOST bus, and has the ID codes of all the other modules written into it when the software is loaded in he factory. If it detects any of the IDs has changed, it shuts down the MOST Bus (this is called MOST Lock). The audio system may work for a few seconds, but will then shut down and all yuo will see is the climate control graphics. If you fit a previously used module, none of the IDs in it's list will match and so you will get MOST Lock.

If your ICM needs to be replaced or you buy the 5" to 7" upgrade kit from Volvo, the ICM is supplied in a 'virgin' state, and a software reload is performed via VIDA from Volvo's server to configure it with the IDs of all the other audio modules (which are held on Volvo's database server against the car's VIN from when it was built) in the same way as it would be done in the factory. Once the IDs have been programmed into an ICM, there is no way to reprogram it or return it to the virgin stare, unfortunately. The other part of the upgrade is a software application that is downloaded to the IAM to support the higher resolution screen, Thii download can also only be performed by a dealer with a full VIDA account on Volvo's server, as the software downloads come from Volvo's server too (and are encoded with the car's VIN)

PS2: If in the future I want to add GPS, I need to connect only a GPS antenna to the screen or I need another component?
As Richard has said, You cannot retrofit the RTI Navigation system if the car was not built with it. The GPS antenna is located in the shark fin on the roof. If Nav option was not specified on the build sheet, the antenna and cable down to the IAM (the Integrated Audio Module, which is behind the centre console) and the upgraded version of the IAM that has the HDD, GPS interface and RTI Navigation software are not fitted and Volvo do not offer them as a retrofit kit.

Your car has Level 1 Infotainment and so will have an IAM 2.1 Level 1 fitted. For Navigation (Level 2 or 3 Infotainment) you need an IAM 2.1 Level 3, bu unfortunately there is no way to upgrade between the two in Volvo's system. Even if you buy the required parts and wiring looms and fit them yourself, it will not work due to the module IDs not matching and MOST Bus Security, and the module IDs will not match those on Volvo's server for your car.

The optional iGo navigation package on the Sensus Connected Touch module was offered as the only way to update a non-Navigation car to have navigation (it uses it's own GPS module that fits at the bottom of the windscreen behind the dash).. The prerequisites for fitting Sensus Connected Touch were to have at least High Performance Audio/IAM 2.1 Level 1 and the 7" ICM upgrade fitted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
http://www.volvov40club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=176938good post from Buzby should explain things better for you
it's confusing, because my dealer offered me upgrade the screen from 5" to 7" and install Sensus Connected Touch, but cost about USD 4000. I think this is because my car has high performance audio with 5"screen, so after installing the 7" could install the SCT ... I'm confused, because http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-gb/V40(13-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-480011/2014 says that Infotainment level 2 is required to upgrade from 5" to 7", but the level 2 includes screen 7".. wtf :(

·
Registered
183 Posts
Which is my understanding. Something isn't quite right. There isn't much score for upgrades on the Volvo platform is too locked down. General rule of thumb if not put in at the factory it can't be done

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
it's confusing, because my dealer offered me upgrade the screen from 5" to 7" and install Sensus Connected Touch, but cost about USD 4000. I think this is because my car has high performance audio with 5"screen, so after installing the 7" could install the SCT ... I'm confused, because http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-gb/V40(13-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-480011/2014 says that Infotainment level 2 is required to upgrade from 5" to 7", but the level 2 includes screen 7".. wtf :(
The infotainment levels are numbered differently between the Volvo website (levels 1-4) and the VIDA system (0-3). In my posts I use the VIDA numbering, so Infotainment Level 1 in VIDA equals Infotainment Level 2 on Volvo's website.

The VIDA numbering scheme aligns with the IAM versions:
IAM 1 = Performance
IAM 2.1 Level 1 = High Performance
IAM 2.1 Level 2 = High Performance Multimedia
IAM 2.1 Level 3 = High Performance Nav/Premium Nav
(The major difference between High Performance Nav and Premium is that Premium has the Harman Kardon speakers and the Dolby 5.1-capable AUD amplifier module)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can't buy part number 31357076 new from Volvo anymore. That part has been superceded by part no. 36001983.

This is an S60/V60/XC60 ICM (the screen is called the Infotainment Control Module).The part number in the listing is the hardware and firmware combined, which is not how they are listed on Volvo's parts system. They use the hardware part number, which is is written vertically on the right hand side of the label (which is obscured by the cut-off plugs). For an XC60 the hardware part number is 31328248, which has been superceded by part number 36001980. This is a different part number to the V40 part, so although they look the same, there must be something different about them and I assume it wouldn't be compatible.

This ICM has the correct base hardware number for older version of the V40 ICM (31357076) written vertically on the side, but it more than likely won't work (see below).

Unfortunately not. Once a module has been used in a car, it usually cannot be transferred to another car as there is a security feature built into the system that locks the modules to the car by ID numbers that were burned into them when the car was built. In the case of the Audio system, this is called MOST Bus Security (the MOST Bus is the optical fibre network the modules use to talk to each other).

The ICM is the controller of the MOST bus, and has the ID codes of all the other modules written into it when the software is loaded in he factory. If it detects any of the IDs has changed, it shuts down the MOST Bus (this is called MOST Lock). The audio system may work for a few seconds, but will then shut down and all yuo will see is the climate control graphics. If you fit a previously used module, none of the IDs in it's list will match and so you will get MOST Lock.

If your ICM needs to be replaced or you buy the 5" to 7" upgrade kit from Volvo, the ICM is supplied in a 'virgin' state, and a software reload is performed via VIDA from Volvo's server to configure it with the IDs of all the other audio modules (which are held on Volvo's database server against the car's VIN from when it was built) in the same way as it would be done in the factory. Once the IDs have been programmed into an ICM, there is no way to reprogram it or return it to the virgin stare, unfortunately. The other part of the upgrade is a software application that is downloaded to the IAM to support the higher resolution screen, Thii download can also only be performed by a dealer with a full VIDA account on Volvo's server, as the software downloads come from Volvo's server too (and are encoded with the car's VIN)

As Richard has said, You cannot retrofit the RTI Navigation system if the car was not built with it. The GPS antenna is located in the shark fin on the roof. If Nav option was not specified on the build sheet, the antenna and cable down to the IAM (the Integrated Audio Module, which is behind the centre console) and the upgraded version of the IAM that has the HDD, GPS interface and RTI Navigation software are not fitted and Volvo do not offer them as a retrofit kit.

Your car has Level 1 Infotainment and so will have an IAM 2.1 Level 1 fitted. For Navigation (Level 2 or 3 Infotainment) you need an IAM 2.1 Level 3, bu unfortunately there is no way to upgrade between the two in Volvo's system. Even if you buy the required parts and wiring looms and fit them yourself, it will not work due to the module IDs not matching and MOST Bus Security, and the module IDs will not match those on Volvo's server for your car.

The optional iGo navigation package on the Sensus Connected Touch module was offered as the only way to update a non-Navigation car to have navigation (it uses it's own GPS module that fits at the bottom of the windscreen behind the dash).. The prerequisites for fitting Sensus Connected Touch were to have at least High Performance Audio/IAM 2.1 Level 1 and the 7" ICM upgrade fitted.
Thank you very much for your post! Now I understand all.

In resume:

1. I need to buy a brand new virgin ICM Part number 36001983 at Volvo dealer or international volvo part store.
2. Install by me.
3. Go to Volvo dealer, connect to VIDA, code my ID in the new ICM and download the software application for the new ICM.
4. In the future I will be able to fit the Retrokit of SCT with GPS.

PD: Are you 100% sure that I have to buy 36001983 instead of 31357076? If I found somewhere a new virgin 31357076 can I buy it or it will not work?

Thanks!!! :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sct will be the only way to get GPS, tbh the hassle you are going to have will be so much, would be easier done by the dealer. Or a tom tom

Thinking again is a sat nav worth 4000usd? You certainly wouldn't recoup it if you ever sold the car

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sct will be the only way to get GPS, tbh the hassle you are going to have will be so much, would be easier done by the dealer. Or a tom tom

Thinking again is a sat nav worth 4000usd? You certainly wouldn't recoup it if you ever sold the car

Yes, upgrading from 5" to 7" + Sensus Connected Touch + iGO = 4000 USD here installed. Fucking Chile :(

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Thank you very much for your post! Now I understand all.

In resume:

1. I need to buy a brand new virgin ICM Part number 36001983 at Volvo dealer or international volvo part store.
2. Install by me.
3. Go to Volvo dealer, connect to VIDA, code my ID in the new ICM and download the software application for the new ICM.
4. In the future I will be able to fit the Retrokit of SCT with GPS.
Yes, this is what I did to fit Rear Park Assist to my car. I bought the kit of parts from a dealer online and fitted it myself. Even though I had to buy some special tools and adhesive that the dealer would have had already, it still cost about £150 less than having the dealer fit it. Once it was fitted, I then took it to a local dealer to have the software application downloaded, which cost £125 (the application itself cost about £25, the rest of the cost was the labour and time on the VIDA terminal).

PD: Are you 100% sure that I have to buy 36001983 instead of 31357076? If I found somewhere a new virgin 31357076 can I buy it or it will not work?
It would work, if you can still find one. The old part number does not exist on my 2013D copy of VIDA, or on the websites of online parts dealers that publish Volvo's database.
e.g. http://www.volvopartswarehouse.com/p/Volvo__/Control-unit--exch/42875938/36001983.html
http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/products/Volvo/Control-module--exch-Control-unit--exch/9955942/36001983.html
You might be able to order the old part number, but it will probably be redirected to the new one in Volvo's system. The safest thing to do before ordering would probably be to email them with your VIN and a link to the 5" to 7" upgrade instructions and say you want to order the screen for that.purpose.

Just a further note about Sensus Connected Touch, and specifically the iGo navigation application. SCT was only ever offered by Volvo as a short-term stopgap to add online features to Sensus until Sensus Connect was ready in MY15.

SCT was not developed by Volvo, it is an off-the-shelf Parrot FC1600 IronBox module (running their Android-based Asteroid OS). with a Volvo skin and and a restricted range of apps compared to the standard Parrot version. Volvo have basically stopped paying Parrot to develop and update SCT now (as they are concentrating on developing Sensus Connect), and as such the OS and applications have not been updated for a long time. The current version of the iGo maps is 1.49.34, which was released in 2014 and there is no sign of an update on the horizon, by all accounts.

However, as it is based on Parrot hardware and an Android OS it has been successfully hacked. There is a long thread over on the XDA Developer's forum detailing how to root the device and unlock the features that Volvo asked Parrot to disable (such as the full Parrot Store, which then allows you to install other navigation options like Google Maps).
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2449005

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, this is what I did to fit Rear Park Assist to my car. I bought the kit of parts from a dealer online and fitted it myself. Even though I had to buy some special tools and adhesive that the dealer would have had already, it still cost about £150 less than having the dealer fit it. Once it was fitted, I then took it to a local dealer to have the software application downloaded, which cost £125 (the application itself cost about £25, the rest of the cost was the labour and time on the VIDA terminal).

It would work, if you can still find one. The old part number does not exist on my 2013D copy of VIDA, or on the websites of online parts dealers that publish Volvo's database.
e.g. http://www.volvopartswarehouse.com/p/Volvo__/Control-unit--exch/42875938/36001983.html
http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/products/Volvo/Control-module--exch-Control-unit--exch/9955942/36001983.html
You might be able to order the old part number, but it will probably be redirected to the new one in Volvo's system. The safest thing to do before ordering would probably be to email them with your VIN and a link to the 5" to 7" upgrade instructions and say you want to order the screen for that.purpose.

Just a further note about Sensus Connected Touch, and specifically the iGo navigation application. SCT was only ever offered by Volvo as a short-term stopgap to add online features to Sensus until Sensus Connect was ready in MY15.

SCT was not developed by Volvo, it is an off-the-shelf Parrot FC1600 IronBox module (running their Android-based Asteroid OS). with a Volvo skin and and a restricted range of apps compared to the standard Parrot version. Volvo have basically stopped paying Parrot to develop and update SCT now (as they are concentrating on developing Sensus Connect), and as such the OS and applications have not been updated for a long time. The current version of the iGo maps is 1.49.34, which was released in 2014 and there is no sign of an update on the horizon, by all accounts.

However, as it is based on Parrot hardware and an Android OS it has been successfully hacked. There is a long thread over on the XDA Developer's forum detailing how to root the device and unlock the features that Volvo asked Parrot to disable (such as the full Parrot Store, which then allows you to install other navigation options like Google Maps).
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2449005
Good info, I was reading more about installing an used ICM and in forums people said that with Volvo VIDA Dealers can turn MOST off and make ICM work. Another persons say that ICM can be recoded if you pay to the dealer... It makes sense because otherwise people would not sell on ebay used ICM; What do you think about it?; An used ICM cost like 15% of the price, im thinking about taking the risk of install it and go to my dealer haha

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Good info, I was reading more about installing an used ICM and in forums people said that with Volvo VIDA Dealers can turn MOST off and make ICM work. Another persons say that ICM can be recoded if you pay to the dealer... It makes sense because otherwise people would not sell on ebay used ICM; What do you think about it?; An used ICM cost like 15% of the price, im thinking about taking the risk of install it and go to my dealer haha
The 'Most Security Disable' application is a controversial one. It does not show up on Volvo's part database or VIDA, but it does exist. It mainly comes up on forums with people who are installing Dension or Grom Audio bluetooth/mp3 gateways in Pre-Sensus Volvos (which were fitted with the HU-series head units or the older-style IAM and mono LCD dot matrix ICM, like the C30). These gateways connect to the MOST bus in place of the CD changer, and so require the MOST Bus Security application to stop the system going to MOST Lock as they do not clone the ID of the CD changer.

The MOST Security Disable application presumably exists for Sensus-equipped cars, but at least in the UK the dealers are under strict instructions from Volvo UK to not let cars out of their workshops with the MOST Security disabled. This is supposedly in the name of security (to make stealing the units from a car a pointless exercise) but in reality it is to try and stop the use of second-hand parts - both Volvo and the dealers lose money if a second-hand part is used compared to supplying a new part, so it's not in their interest to assist owners in fitting them. It's possible Volvo Chile and their dealers have a different policy though (the same is true for most of the other modules in the car on the CAN and LIN buses - their module IDs are all coded into the CEM at manufacture as a 'security' feature).

I have heard of other second-hand modules such as transmission modules, ABS modules and SRS airbag modules being recoded (or having the identity of your faulty module cloned into them) by companies such as BBA Reman and XeMODeX, but they don't seem to offer anything for the 2011-on Sensus audio modules yet. I have never heard or read about anyone who has managed to get a dealer to recode a module though, and nothing I've seen on VIDA suggests that it is possible. The factory presumably can, as replacement modules are supplied on an exchange basis where your old module goes back for repair and is presumably reflashed to the virgin state to be resold.. Even if dealers could recode second-hand modules, it's not in their or Volvo's interest to do so as they would be losing the (large) profit margin from selling you an expensive new module instead

If you can take the hit of the cost of a used ICM then by all means give it a try too see if it works (and if it does, don't forget to update us!). I don't think you will know if it's been successful or not until you go to the dealer to have the IAM 7" screen upgrade software application downloaded though.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts