Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had problems a while ago with my USB MP3 collection not loading every time. I have since got a new USB stick, and a USB hub and it loads every time now. Probably about 2000 songs on the stick.

However when I put it onto shuffle it always, after a random number of tracks, gets stuck on a track and won't go forwards. I need to take it off shuffle, advance a few tracks, and then it may go back to random shuffling again or back to the track it was stuck on. Happens after between 3 and 20 tracks.

Does this happen to anyone else?

thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
I know mine always finishes the song it was playing when I stopped and then plays it again, not good when I am in and out of the car on quick trips. I need to go back to the manual because using the USB is driving me potty, thought I understood the stereo but obviously not after 6 months!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have had many issues using my iphone connected via bluetooth to play music. Sometimes (mostly always) it gets stuck showing "steaming". I fiddle with all sorts to get it working - very frustrating as I dont know what I actually do that seems to kick start the music. Why dont these things just work????

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have had no issues streaming music from my Sony Z. Only thing is that the car interface gives very little control over track, album etc. It does resume okay and switches off with the car door opening etc.

I have an aging MP3 player in USB slot and that is perfect. Plays all the songs, shows all the tracks and albums and even carries on from where it left off.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have no problem with streaming audio from my iPhone via Bluetooth, apart from its so slow (even worse when connected via a cable as an iPod). Takes a good 0.5 to 1 second to show track info. I admit that doesn't sound too bad, but when you're flicking through tracks, it's really annoying!

·
Registered
96 Posts
If connecting an iPhone for music via Bluetooth you can simply move between tracks, not search for tracks. If connected by the USB socket, it works in iPod mode and gives full album, track, artist, playlist functionality (simply rotate the thumb wheel on the right side of the steering wheel or top right of the centre console controls to get to current list, then use back/exit and OK buttons to navigate.
Number buttons on centre console then give text search via keypad in same way as texting on an old mobile 2 = a,b,c etc depending on number of times pressed.

Reactions: worm59 and Millvi

·
Registered
15 Posts
If connecting an iPhone for music via Bluetooth you can simply move between tracks, not search for tracks. If connected by the USB socket, it works in iPod mode and gives full album, track, artist, playlist functionality (simply rotate the thumb wheel on the right side of the steering wheel or top right of the centre console controls to get to current list, then use back/exit and OK buttons to navigate.
Number buttons on centre console then give text search via keypad in same way as texting on an old mobile 2 = a,b,c etc depending on number of times pressed.
Had my V40 for a couple of days now and just discovered the difference when connected via the USB cable and via Bluetooth. I can live with random tracks via Bluetooth on short journeys but I have put a cable in the car to use for longer trips when I'll use playlists, etc

·
Registered
51 Posts
@Oldcroc, I had a few issues with my bluetooth and iPhone 5 to start with and I am a techie. All you need to do is make sure your bluetooth on your phone is "on" before you start the engine/turn on the stereo. The reason you get "streaming" is because the car can't find the music files on the phone. Just make sure you have your music app open (whatever that happens to be) I use Deezer which is a streaming service and i was delighted when I found I could use it with the bluetooth as initially I thought it only worked with MP3 files downloaded e.g. iTunes.

Let me know how you get on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
@Oldcroc, I had a few issues with my bluetooth and iPhone 5 to start with and I am a techie. All you need to do is make sure your bluetooth on your phone is "on" before you start the engine/turn on the stereo. The reason you get "streaming" is because the car can't find the music files on the phone. Just make sure you have your music app open (whatever that happens to be) I use Deezer which is a streaming service and i was delighted when I found I could use it with the bluetooth as initially I thought it only worked with MP3 files downloaded e.g. iTunes.

Let me know how you get on.
Yes, i learned the same...bluetooth has to be ON before engine starts.
I connect more than 3 devices to car bluetooth - ipod and 3 different mobiles without any hassle.
i love the autoplay/stop function though whenever door opens or engine starts...dont even need to select play on my devices, how cool!!!

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I just use USB, to much of a hassle to get my phone out of my pocket, switch on the screen, put in my password, go to music app, click on song and stream to bluetooth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
on that topic - autoplay

went to visit the folks for dinner and my daughter fell asleep while there. after a delicious meal and desert it was time to go.. Slowly lowered my daughter into her child seat. softly close the doors.
2 seconds after starting my volvo, that **** bluetooth streaming autoplay starts playing. only way to kill it is with the full mute.

great way to wake up the kid, does anyone have a suggestion to turn off the autoplay while still allowing the bluetooth nav (i use Waze) to work?

it's becoming a problem that the autoplay seems to start every time i drive somewhere, sometimes music is not required.
iPhone 5s (jb)

·
Registered
382 Posts
It's easy if you don't use your phone music player or don't mind changing the track before you start the car. Just download a 'silent' MP3 and this will play yet still allow sat-nav etc.

I've given-up trying to find a player that will prevent auto streaming but this works.

I have a track if you want it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
disabling Bluetooth A2DP disables autoplay

seems like autoplay is a common problem with most modern vehicles.
after some research i found A2DPblocker for th iPhones which claims to disable just the A2DP protocol, while leaving others enabled (voice dialing/calling etc..):

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/a2dpblocker-bluetooth-stereo/id448525106?ls=1&mt=8

if you have a jailbroken iPhone, you can also download "bluetooth Service Manager" which does the same thing. I'll be able to test tomorrow morning and will report back if it works or not.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just wanted to finish this thread as there definitely was a bug in the volvo firmware on the USB player on my 2012 V40 SE Lux.

Last visit to the main dealer they did an upgrade that has fixed the shuffle problem - it hasn't locked up since the upgraded. It also changed the navigation colour on the road you're on to green (think it was yellow before).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,
I have tried to put both my MP3 players in the USB slot but nothing happens apart from the screen showing "Connect USB".
I have tried to turn on the MP3 players whilst they are connected to the USB but they will not operated whilst in the USB mode.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I had a similar problem, but not necessarily when using shuffle. When the player got to one of the 'bad' Amazon VBR MP3s that wouldn't play, it would step on to the next track but no sound would be output. It would carry on 'playing' like this until I turned the ignition off and an again.

Once I'd done all the research, found out why certain MP3s from Amazon wouldn't play and found a workaround it hasn't happened since. Does it manage to play any of the files it has got stuck on during shuffle mode in normal play?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.