Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
V40 R-Design T2
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I've just bought a 2017 T2 R-Design to replace my old (and much loved) Saab. And although the car is in immaculate condition, I've just discovered that the USB socket doesn't seem to do anything. I've tried plugging my iPhone in, and it neither charges nor is seen by the stereo. I also formatted a USB drive in FAT-32 and dropped some mp3 tracks on there, but that wasn't seen either. I guess it has to be either an issue with the socket itself, a break in the cable somewhere or a problem with the head unit. My question is though — should I care? The Bluetooth connection seems rock solid and I almost never plug my phone into anything these days anyway. I already have a 12v USB-C charger that I used in the 9-3 should I really need to charge on the go (and which is way higher powered than the built-in job), so am I missing anything by not having the built in USB?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yes, if you want to update the satnav you need a working USB. Don't forget Volvo provide free satnav map updates "for life" (though there has been talk that life means the production life of the vehicle)

I also use the USB to share my internet connection fro my iPhone to the head unit for RTTI updates and internet radio and other connected services. In my opinion the audio is better via usb than by bluetooth

·
Registered
V40 R-Design T2
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car doesn’t have nav (I much prefer my phone for that) but I hadn’t considered audio quality. It would be nice to at least be able to compare wired vs Bluetooth.

·
Registered
699 Posts
If you don't have a SatNav then a non-working USB would at worst be a minor inconvenience.

·
Registered
398 Posts
2nd that about audio quality, playing decent 'high bit-rate' audio mp3 via the USB would always be superior than streaming over bluetooth. The latter sounded like it was missing some frequencies, it was the same MP3 file. Better still for best audio quality, CDs always...and I just realised I haven't once used the CD in the car (and I am old school have plenty over CDs), might do that this weekend!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi! I've just bought a 2017 T2 R-Design to replace my old (and much loved) Saab. And although the car is in immaculate condition, I've just discovered that the USB socket doesn't seem to do anything. I've tried plugging my iPhone in, and it neither charges nor is seen by the stereo. I also formatted a USB drive in FAT-32 and dropped some mp3 tracks on there, but that wasn't seen either. I guess it has to be either an issue with the socket itself, a break in the cable somewhere or a problem with the head unit. My question is though — should I care? The Bluetooth connection seems rock solid and I almost never plug my phone into anything these days anyway. I already have a 12v USB-C charger that I used in the 9-3 should I really need to charge on the go (and which is way higher powered than the built-in job), so am I missing anything by not having the built in USB?
Plugging in an iPhone also allows the car to show albums, artists and playlists, so you can use the car controls to change music. I think the sound is much better than Blluetooth.
Have you tried a careful clean of the USB socket before trying fuses etc?

·
Registered
V40 R-Design T2
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you tried a careful clean of the USB socket before trying fuses etc?
Yeah, I’ll try giving it a clean. It could even just be fluff or something at the bottom blocking plugs from going in fully. It sounds like something that would be good to get working, so I’ll see what I can do. The car has a warranty so I can ask the dealer I got it from to look at it. My only hesitation in doing that is they aren’t especially near so I was reluctant to make the trip unless I needed to.

·
Registered
V40 R-Design T2
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right, that went better than expected. I decided to remove the little trim piece with the socket in it to more easily clean it/check it out, and it turns out the port just wasn’t seated into the connector properly! I put it all back together and now everything works perfectly - my phone charges, it plays mp3s off that memory stick, we’re all good. Thanks to all who replied. I might’ve just left it be if not for your responses 😃

1 - 8 of 8 Posts