Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

can anyone help please? I have had this car 6 months and twice my front drivers side wheel rim has cracked and has had to be repaired. Is this a known fault with this particular wheel? Am I able to change to 18in alloys to reduce the problems? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I had a c30 before this car and it gave me no bother whatsoever in 3 years so feeling really frustrated and upset with this purchase!
Thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi,

can anyone help please? I have had this car 6 months and twice my front drivers side wheel rim has cracked and has had to be repaired. Is this a known fault with this particular wheel? Am I able to change to 18in alloys to reduce the problems? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I had a c30 before this car and it gave me no bother whatsoever in 3 years so feeling really frustrated and upset with this purchase!
Thanks
Had mine 3 years wheels had never been an issue they've been on two volvos over those 3 year's.
Plenty have changed rim size with no pro8

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had mine 3 years wheels had never been an issue they've been on two volvos over those 3 year's.
Plenty have changed rim size with no pro8

I am really pleased you have not had any problems, but I’ve either had really rotten luck or there is an issue with my car :(.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am really pleased you have not had any problems, but I’ve either had really rotten luck or there is an issue with my car :(.
I run a volvo v40 page on Facebook and I've never heard of anyone with 19 oem wheels having cracks or having to have them repaired.. it could be down to your road conditions. Are you getting them repaired at volvo? If not have you spoken to them about it?
It is fine to go down a size to 18s.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Well like for like, 19 inch rims with 35? profile tyres were always going to stress the rim more like for like a smaller / higher profile tyre. I guess once it has been repaired before, it would always be subsequently weaker. Perhaps rotate the tyres/rims and see if it happens again after fixing? If the same front side of the car rim cracks again (which is now previously the rear tyres) then I guess it's the pot-holes. If the rear wheel then cracks (formerly the front wheel), then you know the structure intergrity has been compromised. Also is the side of the cracked rim also the side you would usually face the curb when parallel parking (assuming this is how you pack your car)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I run a volvo v40 page on Facebook and I've never heard of anyone with 19 oem wheels having cracks or having to have them repaired.. it could be down to your road conditions. Are you getting them repaired at volvo? If not have you spoken to them about it?
It is fine to go down a size to 18s.

Thanks for your feedback. I’ve had them done at a tyre company. I have rang Volvo on several occasions and asked for a call back to get advice but no one ever rings me back!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts