Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This is my first post, recently purchased my V40 2013 D3 last month.

Was driving on the motorway and in the wake of the recent storm here in the UK there was a lot of debris on the roads. Needless to say I managed to drive over a sharp branch at 70mph and it completely shredded the plastic undertray. I took it to a nearby tyre garage which was open on a sunday luckily and they removed it and confirmed there was no other damage to the car. My question is, do I really need to replace it? Other than an increased risk of damage to the sump is there anything else I need to worry about? Or is it definitely worth the bother of sourcing another one and getting it fitted?

Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
The similar thing happened to my previous V40. I was told by many mechanics that I should buy a replacement as it also protects the belts plus it has some effects on aerodynamics. The cover was quite pricey though. Something like 200 euros or so.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would err on the side of caution, you don't want damp in those complicated electrics. Sometimes breakers have those parts. Have a look on ebay for a start. The retaining screw clips are the same as a Ford Focus, I know that as the front ones on mine have seized. I don't know about the tray itself but if it is the same you may have plan B..

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's part of the aero package. The front wheels drag a lot of air and need some help. The main problem is the negative air pressure behind the wheel. So on the lower lip of the bumper there is a small dam running out to the centre of the tyre. The engine tray cleans the air flowing past. Together they increase the pressure at the rear of the tyre.

·
Registered
52 Posts
on some vw models, this item is actually called "noise insulation"
early Vauxhall insignias don't have one, but astra of the same age does.... personally, id not concern myself about its presence broken or otherwise....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts