Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For certain year model and engine type on 2014 T5 187kw....
I have recently inquired about my V40 T5 187kw engine to do the Polestar upgrade. Initially i was informed that it is possible to do the upgrade and have a huge performance and fuel economy increase.
To my disgrace after booking my vehicle for the upgrade (As it is registered to come from Volvo via software), my vehicle was NOT able to be upgraded with this Polestar software/firmware for whatever reason...??
I ordered a RaceChip PRO+ from Germany, fitted the "Plug and Play" unit and voila....increase on the DYNO from 187 kw up to 232kw plus the Nm up with 120Nm. Fuel economy is by far better from 11.5l/100 to 9.3l/100
If anyone interested in doing this RaceChip Pro+ at a fraction of the cost of Polestar,feel free to contact me. RaceChip Pro+ is even giving a warranty to cover costs if their unit is causing breakdowns (engine related).
Furthermore, the RaceChip Pro+ is Bluetooth connected to your iPhone or Android device. besides the wiring connection of the unit, to customize certain parameters on the RaceChip Pro+
Feel free to visit their web at www.racechip.com

·
Registered
659 Posts
Is that the older non-VEA T5 engine? Must be, my 2016 T5 is only 186kW peak AFTER Polestar....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that the older non-VEA T5 engine? Must be, my 2016 T5 is only 186kW peak AFTER Polestar....
I think it must be, the later models were only 4CYL and 158kw. M V40 is 5CYL 2.5, T5 with original 187kw. Now it is 232kw....massive improvement.

·
Registered
135 Posts
No, (4 cyl) VEA T5 is 180 kW / 350 Nm with 187 kW / 400 Nm after Polestar upgrade. And that is because Polestar had to stay within emission limits, so it is more focused on mid-range power. Plus Polestar upgrade updates Geartronic logic with faster gear changes. Most of those "third party" tuning companies only bring a new map for the engine and that's why I wouldn't go with them. They offer such 200+ kW figures for VEA T5 as well.

·
Registered
231 Posts
+200kW in a V40 must be really fast!
I am looking for a tuning company that is able to tune the Geartronic logic as well. Any ideas beside Polestar?
(because they have no package for the V40 T4 VEA)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+200kW in a V40 must be really fast!
I am looking for a tuning company that is able to tune the Geartronic logic as well. Any ideas beside Polestar?
(because they have no package for the V40 T4 VEA)
Hi and nice to see you comment. My 2014 V40 T5 2.5 is a totally different car....must say. I could not have PoleStar installed on my V40 hence the RaceChip Pro+ for 10 times cheaper than original Volvo PoleStar upgrade (and i would say better than PoleStar). There are additional upgrades from RaceChip also but from my experience, the Gearshift in my GEARTRONIC is a lot quicker than before. In addition to that, shift your gear into SPORT mode and even more of a difference. Look at the RaceChip website and see they even have different "addons" for instance the "pedalbox" which makes the throttle super fast and responsive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just had a look on the racechip site, they did have a chip option for a 4cyl 2ltr T5, only the older 5 cylinder engine. Also, I would be concerned about the increased torque and the longevity of the gear box.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just had a look on the racechip site, they did have a chip option for a 4cyl 2ltr T5, only the older 5 cylinder engine. Also, I would be concerned about the increased torque and the longevity of the gear box.
That should have said Racecgip DID NOT have a chip option

·
Registered
2 Posts
For certain year model and engine type on 2014 T5 187kw....
I have recently inquired about my V40 T5 187kw engine to do the Polestar upgrade. Initially i was informed that it is possible to do the upgrade and have a huge performance and fuel economy increase.
To my disgrace after booking my vehicle for the upgrade (As it is registered to come from Volvo via software), my vehicle was NOT able to be upgraded with this Polestar software/firmware for whatever reason...??
I ordered a RaceChip PRO+ from Germany, fitted the "Plug and Play" unit and voila....increase on the DYNO from 187 kw up to 232kw plus the Nm up with 120Nm. Fuel economy is by far better from 11.5l/100 to 9.3l/100
If anyone interested in doing this RaceChip Pro+ at a fraction of the cost of Polestar,feel free to contact me. RaceChip Pro+ is even giving a warranty to cover costs if their unit is causing breakdowns (engine related).
Furthermore, the RaceChip Pro+ is Bluetooth connected to your iPhone or Android device. besides the wiring connection of the unit, to customize certain parameters on the RaceChip Pro+
Feel free to visit their web at www.racechip.com
Aison transmission states on Wikipedia that the torque is at it's max torque. MY old 2001 V70xc new trans cost 5500 US dollars 6 years ago. I am tempted for the chip but I hat to blow the transmissionwill be expensive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Aison transmission states on Wikipedia that the torque is at it's max torque. MY old 2001 V70xc new trans cost 5500 US dollars 6 years ago. I am tempted for the chip but I hat to blow the transmissionwill be expensive.
Keep us posted in the transmission.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keep us posted in the transmission.
Thanks for your valuable input with the transmission info.
First question from my personal mind and experience? Dependent on your "driving style" if you are constantly speeding, towing and "forcing" the engine into maximum revs it would be understandable that the transmission would take more strain due to the increased Nm and HP. Prior to me fitting this RaceChip PRO +, i have been in direct contact with the manufacturer in Germany and asked the same question. Their answer was and (To warrant their product) that they will offer the guarantee that the increased performance via the RaceChip PRO+ would not damage the engine or transmission and offer the guarantee for any repairs due tho the installation being "too much" for the transmission and engine.

After i spent approx $3000 US for a major service including, Cambelt, Brake disks and pads on all 4 wheels, Shocks and "all the bells and whistles" to have my V40 T5 2,5 5 Cyl in factory condition, i decided to go with the RaceChip PRO+ with no regrets.

I previously had a Mazda BT50 3,2D M DC P/U and had the upgrade done for increased HP and Nm and....what a major difference! It had the original VOLVO T6 3,2 5Cyl engine as a standard and i had absolutely NO damages on the transmission and engine. I sold it with 200 000 km on the clock in TIPTOP condition.

If you feel insecure about the upgrade, i recommend that you get into contact with the RaceChip manufacturer in Germany and raise your concerns. They are extremely helpful.

Remember all engines are "down tuned" at the manufacturer via the ECU and EMS to cover their warranty on the vehicles. The engines are more than capable in performance and torque but due to emission laws, catalytic converters are also installed to reduce the performance and emissions.

Hope this enlightens your thoughts.

Enjoy your VOLVO...I DO

1 - 12 of 12 Posts