Volvo V40 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi from the Preston area in Lancs, UK.

Having spent 6 months looking for a replacement for my Honda Civic 2.2 diesel EX and checking out BMW 1/3 series, Audi A3/A4, Mercedes A/C classes and VW Golf, I found the V40.

It has the quality, style, power and techie stuff none of the others could compete with ...for the same money anyway!!

In the end I bought a 2014 model D4 R Design Lux Nav in Titanium Grey with Winter Pack and rear assist camera / sensors that's 9 months old. Saved a few thousand off buying new and got the 1st year service thrown in..

Just a bit of advice to anyone buying second hand, if you want the two free satnav updates, then contact Volvo customer support and they"ll change the original owner details so you can receive them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like your pleased with your V40.

Welcome :)
Only a couple of minor minus points to date, one is the high biting point of the clutch, and I thought that fuel economy would be better than my previous Civic diesel (got 55mpg with grandad driving).
Maybe it will get better with more miles on the clock, but it's done 10k so far..

·
Registered
945 Posts
Your car sounds nice, I also tried the same cars prior to ordering mine in 2013.

I agree the Volvo beet the merc (slow dirty engine and silly screen put me off, oh and it looks like a Kia from behind) the A3 is a boring drive (my previous car was an A3black edition and I hated it).

For me the BMW was a little more of a drivers car than the Volvo but the emissions were a little higher than the limit I set myself (company car tax and I already have 2 other drivers/performance cars so the company car is supposed to be a cheaper daily driver).

To make up for the above and aS you say the Volvo also has all the kit and it does make you feel special when you are in it (like the BMW but not the other 2) oh and it may actually move in the snow (something my previous BMW had great difficulty doing)

Welcome on board

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fantastic review and good final conclusion!

I agreed totally my previous cars include a Civic 2.2 diesel, Nissan Juke, BMW 3 series, Audi A3 s line, Citroen DS3, Audi A2, Mercedies C Class, Toyota Avensis and wait for it my favouret and best car so far is....the Volvo V40 r design in Rebel Blue :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your car sounds nice, I also tried the same cars prior to ordering mine in 2013.

I agree the Volvo beet the merc (slow dirty engine and silly screen put me off, oh and it looks like a Kia from behind) the A3 is a boring drive (my previous car was an A3black edition and I hated it).

For me the BMW was a little more of a drivers car than the Volvo but the emissions were a little higher than the limit I set myself (company car tax and I already have 2 other drivers/performance cars so the company car is supposed to be a cheaper daily driver).

To make up for the above and aS you say the Volvo also has all the kit and it does make you feel special when you are in it (like the BMW but not the other 2) oh and it may actually move in the snow (something my previous BMW had great difficulty doing)

Welcome on board
It was the rear wheel drive and boring dashboard that put me off BMWs.
I liked the Civic mph readout, so the V40 TFT screen in performance mode gives me that option again.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi from the Preston area in Lancs, UK.

Having spent 6 months looking for a replacement for my Honda Civic 2.2 diesel EX and checking out BMW 1/3 series, Audi A3/A4, Mercedes A/C classes and VW Golf, I found the V40.

It has the quality, style, power and techie stuff none of the others could compete with ...for the same money anyway!!

In the end I bought a 2014 model D4 R Design Lux Nav in Titanium Grey with Winter Pack and rear assist camera / sensors that's 9 months old. Saved a few thousand off buying new and got the 1st year service thrown in..

Just a bit of advice to anyone buying second hand, if you want the two free satnav updates, then contact Volvo customer support and they"ll change the original owner details so you can receive them.
Welcome! Similar predecessor car (2005 Accord 2.2 CTDi), similar process of elimination, very similar end result - just a different colour!

Not surprisingly I find the eco of the Volvo better than the bigger, older Accord, but do be aware also that Volvo's eco meter is a little more "realistic" than Honda's.

Had a simialr experience with the Satnav update too, except no need to contact anyone - just registered online, got the code, got the updates - 5 hours(!) later updated satnav. It's still pretty crap (but then they all are to varying degrees), but at least it's up-to-date crap.

Enjoy! - the Volvo kicks the arse of competitors IME, not least Honda.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had a simialr experience with the Satnav update too, except no need to contact anyone - just registered online, got the code, got the updates - 5 hours(!) later updated satnav. It's still pretty crap (but then they all are to varying degrees), but at least it's up-to-date crap.

Enjoy! - the Volvo kicks the arse of competitors IME, not least Honda.
I'm a bit confused on the sat nav issue.
I couldn't register as the original owner's email address was registered to my VIN number.
As my V40 is a 2014 model (registered in mid Oct 2013) do I get DVDs?
I tried the online update file, buf it didn't upload to the sat nav.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm a bit confused on the sat nav issue.
I couldn't register as the original owner's email address was registered to my VIN number.
As my V40 is a 2014 model (registered in mid Oct 2013) do I get DVDs?
I tried the online update file, buf it didn't upload to the sat nav.

Well I assumed from your OP that you had the matter in hand, and didn't intend my post to suggest you needed to do things differently. FWIW, it took about 3 weeks for the update discs to arrive, but if yours don't, give Volvo UK CS a call and see what's what. :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.