Volvo V40 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my V40 CC since 2018, and on the whole it has been a great car. I had it serviced at the same dealer who originally sold the car until the last one (where I took it to a trusted motor engineering firm in Wymondham, where I work. No complaints there. Not long after the last service though, the Check Engine light came on. I went back to the motor engineering firm and they checked the codes, which revealed EGR Low Flow as the fault. They advised that the EGR circuit can be problematic and that in all likelihood, given the mileage (60,000), that it probably needed a clean. They carried this out at a very reasonable cost and reset the light again. Sadly though, it came on again fairly quickly after a few more commutes. I spoke with the owner of the firm and he told me that there was a recall on my model (which I had received a letter about, but as yet, no remedial action has been notified), but he also said that there was a possible modification involving a remapping of the ECU - presumably to affect the tolerance of the sensors that measure EGR gas flow? He is reluctant to replace the EGR assembly as he believes that this may not resolve the problem, and doesn't want an unhappy customer. I understand that, so I approached the original Volvo dealer in Bury St Edmunds. They seemed to deny any knowledge of EGR problems, and that worst case for replacing the valve and cooler would be in the region of £1,400. Which, quite honestly, seems insane and exorbitant.

So my question is: A. Is this correct, is there a known issue and modification? B. Are these things really that expensive? C. What are the chances that replacing all the recommended components will solve the problem long term. D. Finally, are there any driving styles that are known to contribute to premature problems with EGR, like using the Eco mode, or aggressive versus sedate driving styles?

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Known design fault with EGR cooler loop. It overcools the EGR causing clogging Most upgraded by Volvo dealers. Could be covered on the extended warranty for this problem. There are several posts on here on this subject.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I thought most EGR issues relate to D4 models.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Known design fault with EGR cooler loop. It overcools the EGR causing clogging Most upgraded by Volvo dealers. Could be covered on the extended warranty for this problem. There are several posts on here on this subject.
Thanks for the response. One question relating to the engine check light. If the EGR fault condition reduces for any reason, does the light go out on its own, or is it a case that once triggered, it can only be reset by special tools? I am seriously hoping that I don't get a £1400 bill, because that just sound like a blatant rip off. The dealer said that they would approach Volvo for a "goodwill" repair, which I guess could be code for extended warranty?

·
Registered
142 Posts
The warranty extensions and any work already done should show on Volvo's system when they enter the car's registration.
Can't comment on whether light will clear itself, sorry. The torque mobile app with a bluetooth OBD reader can clear some codes.
There's another new post here mentioning another fault with this engine, D3 vibration. . This time apparently with the manifold.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The warranty extensions and any work already done should show on Volvo's system when they enter the car's registration.
Can't comment on whether light will clear itself, sorry. The torque mobile app with a bluetooth OBD reader can clear some codes.
There's another new post here mentioning another fault with this engine, D3 vibration. . This time apparently with the manifold.
The dealer won't accept the independent engineer's findings, so I have had to book it in for them to run diagnostic checks. The warranty only expired in March this year, so I hope that they will look favourably on this. I bought a code reader and reset OBD device that's wired. It only cost £30 from Amazon, but hopefully it will be able to read the car's system.
Thanks for the help on this. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
My MY2017 D3 had a full EGR system replacement about 6 months ago at 25k miles, thankfully still under warranty. Pretty sure Vovlo advised they would honour an extended warranty on this fault as a common issue with VEA model diesel engines, especially the D4, will just depend on whether your car had the remedial work done already (though there were several versions, the first lot were just replace like for like and wait for it to fail again as they didn't have a solution at that point)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yep, In my experience, your EGR system will break down every 60k kilometers on a D4, even after the so called modified EGR cooler and software update. It's pretty rediculous that your Volvo dealer denies knowledge about this because it is common knowledge and for me had been fixed twice under warrenty (still in warrenty period).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Things just got weird. I had the light reset a few times at a local motor engineering firm, but after it came on yet again, I put up with the annoying glow (I'm on the road at 05:20 every morning and since the end of September, it is dark now), so I bought myself one of those cheap £30 OBD2 readers. I reset the EGR fault condition, but it also reset the DCT? Not sure what that was, but ironically, the engine check light has remained off for 3 days and a total of about 330 miles.

Either something has changed in the EGR flow, or have I buggered something up?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts